Snow

JLo's new documentary is smashing. Why?

Jennifer Lopez’s new documentary, Halftime, is currently Top 10 on Netflix in 86 countries.

This far exceeds any expectations and puts it on par with many of Netflix's other biggest celebrity-focused documentaries. BLACKPINK's documentary, for example, went Top 10 in 70 countries on its release in 2020, and they are a current act who were (and still are) massively popular globally.

JLo's last album and semi-notable hit were in 2014. Last successful movie in 2019. The Halftime show itself happened a little over two years ago, so you can't chalk it down to Super Bowl hype, because there has been two more halftime shows since.

So, how is JLo pulling these numbers exactly? Is it more Netflix's influence, or is this a testament to JLo's everlasting relevance and star power?

7 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Netlix's influence for sure. 

What influence exactly? Maybe the documentary's good? I know it's a right of passage for a lamb to hate Jlo and throw random shade at her whenever they can but maybe the shit's just good. mad8

I watched it last night because I ran across it while looking for something to watch. 

I would put the reason I watched it in the first place up to Netflix’s influence, I didn’t seek it out, and I’ll willing to bet that I’m, by far, in the majority here. 

It was certainly interesting and good, but not profound or some shit like some folks are making it out to be. It’s a Netflix documentary on Jennifer Lopez, pop star, not Jennifer Lopez, philosopher. 

22 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

22 hours ago, Atlantis Princess said:

People on Netflix will watch anything new. Not a surprise true1

You are so incredibly bitter and delusional. Fatriah couldn't pull these numbers with a documentary and you know it. Her Xmas special was universally panned.

Maybe just maybe...people are interested in watching a documentary about the most-watched HTS.

1 hour ago, Madonna said:

You are so incredibly bitter and delusional. Fatriah couldn't pull these numbers with a documentary and you know it. Her Xmas special was universally panned.

Maybe just maybe...people are interested in watching a documentary about the most-watched HTS.

But it wasn't? It had mostly positive reviews. dead2

2 minutes ago, Madonna said:

It literally had a 1 Star rating on Netflix lmfao2 

But i thought Netflix wasn't influential?...

Upon release, Mariah Carey's Magical Christmas Special received positive reviews. The special has a rating of 86% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 7 reviews.[17] On Metacritic, the film has a score of 8.7 out of 10 based on 6 ratings.[18] The Guardian wrote that Carey, "the Queen of Christmas, brings festive cheer by the bucketload" calling it a "musical extravaganza".[19] Decider writer, Brett White, reviewed the special saying that "it’s been five years since Mariah Carey graced us with a full-length Christmas special [...] and the world has changed a lot since Hallmark Channel aired Mariah Carey's Merriest Christmas in 2015".[20] He went on to say that the special "could only be made by a Mariah Carey who knows what her fans want from her: they want to be gagged, they want the most, they want to be bewildered, befuddled, and bewitched by the elusive chanteuse."[20] White went on to call it a "21st century revival of the kind of holiday specials that were mainstays on TV from the '60s through the '80s, hosted by everyone from Dean Martin to Dolly Parton."[20]

The Detroit News writer, Adam Graham, gave a mixed-to-positive review stating that it was "not the tightest script that has ever been penned, but it gets Mariah to ride on a sleigh, visit a toy factory and sing her number 1 hit "All I Want for Christmas Is You" in the middle of the North Pole's town square. This is no time to worry about things like coherence and continuity".[10] Graham went on to say that "the 44-minute musical ode to the magic of Christmas gives the holliest, jolliest diva of all a chance to parade around in a series of low-cut, cleavage-baring dresses while singing Christmas carols as wind machines blow her hair just so and her glittery eye shadow sparkles underneath the North Star".[10] Daily Titan writer, Jiyo Cayabyab, stated that with the special, "Carey carried the world into the new year by ending the year on a high note".[21] Jezebel writer, Rich Juzwiak, wrote that "Carey takes flight" in the special.[22] He went on say that "the intended audience [...] is those who lavish in Carey's vast eccentricities".[22] ITV writer, Emily Baker, gave the special four stars, calling the special "campy and jubilant, with lot of heart" and that "this was Carey in her absolute element".[6] Baker went on to praise Carey's humour, saying that her "showmanship is second-to-none; her dedication to create joy and mesmerising performances are well documented; but what she never gets enough credit for is her sense of humour".[6

26 minutes ago, Madonna said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5579910/

4,9/10 Stars

Barely a 2-Star Rating on Netflix

N7AgRDs.jpg

It's interesting how this is not even mentioned on her Wikipedia page. It's ALMOST as if her deranged stans are trying to keep its existence a secret.

Y'all are talking about 2 different specials. Keep crying over this one though. It's clear her shows and the production has improved. 

17 minutes ago, Atlantis Princess said:

Y'all are talking about 2 different specials. Keep crying over this one though. It's clear her shows and the production has improved. 

It’s probably the very same Christmas shit she keeps reheating like leftover Turkey. 

J.Lo‘s special is outdoing McRiah‘s sad attempts. 

14 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

That's a completely different one. dead2

It’s the one I was talking about. Not my fault you are apparently clueless about all the trashy XMas specials your fave has done.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People on Netflix will watch anything new. Not a surprise 

I watched it last night because I ran across it while looking for something to watch.  I would put the reason I watched it in the first place up to Netflix’s influence, I didn’t seek it out, and

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.