Snow

Why isn't Halsey taken more seriously?

HalseysnewalbumIfICantHaveLoveIWantPower

Halsey's career is approaching a decade mark, and yet they seem to not exist.

They released their debut single, "Ghost", in 2014 and their breakthrough single, "New Americana", a year later. Since then, they've released four albums and scored 10 Top 20 hits, two of which were number one hits (notably, "Closer", which was one of the biggest chart hits of the last decade).

And it isn't that they've been lowkey. They're notable for often putting a lot of effort into their visuals, crafting concepts and incorporating worldbuilding that aren't usually present in traditional music videos. "If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power", their latest album, was accompanied by an hour-long movie, and that is on top of the high-budget music video for the lead single, "I Am Not a Woman, I'm a God".

Any other artist with these stats and qualities to them would be regarded as a pop music staple, and yet they're rarely ever brought up by both stans (who are typically obsessed with female artists) and the public except as the punchline of a joke.

So, why do you think this is? Why isn't Halsey taken more seriously?
Do you think they deserve more credit and recognition?

Speaking for myself, I didn’t take her seriously at all due to mainly that early stuff and some things she said, it struck me as cringe and nothing I’d be interested in. 

Hopeless Fountain Kingdom changed a lot of that for me, I love that album, every song on it — since then, I take her a lot more seriously, but most of what she’s released since hasn’t been my cup of tea. 

1 hour ago, Snow said:

"I Am Not a Woman, I'm a God", their latest album

*If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power ari8

i'd say Closer ruined everything, it was too mainstream for what she was releasing solo true1 

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

*If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power ari8

i'd say Closer ruined everything, it was too mainstream for what she was releasing solo true1 

It being her biggest hit too it's what everyone associates her with. 

Honestly, how she got famous plays into it. She was big in the angsty tumblr scene of the mid 2010s and while she has advanced from that on her most recent album, all the way through Manic she held onto that aesthetic. That was ultimately her peak (so far) and I think people just can’t disassociate her with that era now. 

6 hours ago, Atlantis Princess said:

The weird cursive singing and her weird biracial antics back in the day.

4 hours ago, Villanelle said:

The fact that she sings in cursive for literally no reason at all and that any cool or woke issue she seems to latch onto for clout

Also, she's not great 

What's so bad about "cursive singing"? mad5 

32 minutes ago, Atlantis Princess said:

I can take Halsey in small doses because it gets tiring to listen to after a while 

the same can be said for literally any singer mad5 

It's quite unfortunate that the Lana crew is not here anymore. They could have given you a very good insight on why exactly she's absolutely cringe.

1. Her manufactured angsty/woke image. Very similar to Demi Lovato's antics, Halsey has promoted herself to Tumblr teens by pushing this angsty rebel teen persona she simply isn't. Her image was mostly based on Sky Ferreira (cause her label needed a replacement) and Lana (who was THE big Tumblr girl back in the days). Halsey's old songs are extremely reminiscent of Lana's music but dumbed down and full of cliches to get bullied teens to buy her stuff.

2. Her personality. She has incredibly strange antics where she starts yelling at people for absolutely no reason. Here are some receipts:

3. She comes off as being one of the most annoying attention whores ever and one of those "Oh nooo please don't make me sing in public! I'm so embarrassed!!! *immediately starts singing in cursive* people

4. While her music is/was being targeted at angsty teens and labeled as "alternative", the output is mostly very very bland and basic pop music with no depth.

I can't remember who used this phrase (or to which artist they applied it to), but she really is a bananies and avocadies girly rip2

On 6/26/2022 at 4:05 PM, LÉON said:

I can't remember who used this phrase (or to which artist they applied it to), but she really is a bananies and avocadies girly rip2

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd singlehandedly blame that Chainsmokers song. 

It looks like that Halsey was finally taken in consideration last year with "I Am Not a Woman, I'm a God". That is one of the most impressive works released by a Pop artist in the last two years  

Speaking for myself, I didn’t take her seriously at all due to mainly that early stuff and some things she said, it struck me as cringe and nothing I’d be interested in.  Hopeless Fountain Kingdo

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.