Snow

Was 'Break My Soul' the correct lead single for Renaissance?

honestly, they thought itd smash given how disco-y it is and how big dua lipa did with the disco sound, but it didnt immediately smash.

as for the songs on renaissance, i think thique mightve worked?

Yes, it was the strongest of the three main radio friendly songs, at least in my opinion. If their purpose was to get something to radio that could get traction and a certification, they hit the nail on the head. 

how do I say this without sounding shady, because that’s not what the purpose is here: if you’re not heavy in dance music, or if you’re a casual fan of Beyoncé, I have trouble believing that anything outside of Break my Soul, Cuff it and Summer Renaissance will hook you. 

This is an album for heavy hitters and Break my Soul is the strongest lead you can get if your purpose is to get a strong lead single. 

Yes. The era is a ramp up. I understand it better now. They knew they were sitting on a 16 track masterpiece and didn’t care if the first single didn’t debut at number one. They knew it would grow as the era was revealed/released and goodwill for the project grew.

Come Monday’s chart BMS will be between 5-7 on the H100, and the following week early guesses have it anywhere from 1-4 depending on how strong the streaming bump is from the album release, which looks to be very strong. If the visual comes anytime soon we could be looking at Bey’s first solo #1 in…. 13/14 years? This all would need to be a perfect storm to hit #1, but the nerds on Pulse think it could happen. cry3

1 hour ago, Chris said:

honestly, they thought itd smash given how disco-y it is and how big dua lipa did with the disco sound, but it didnt immediately smash.

as for the songs on renaissance, i think thique mightve worked?

Break My Soul sounds nothing like disco or anything Dua Lipa has made. dead2 It's a whole house track. Also, what do you mean it didn't smash? It's currently #7 on the hot 100 and will probably rises higher next week because of album release.

OT: It was honestly the perfect lead for the album. No other song would be nearly as big if it was the lead (imo at least).

1 minute ago, Lynk said:

Break My Soul sounds nothing like disco or anything Dua Lipa has made. dead2 It's a whole house track. Also, what do you mean it didn't smash? It's currently #7 on the hot 100 and will probably rises higher next week because of album release.

OT: It was honestly the perfect lead for the album. No other song would be nearly as big if it was the lead (imo at least).

by smash i meant immediate #1

I think so, yes. Honestly I was completely underwhelmed by it and had low expectations for the album because it felt generic and boring to me. (But I am a big fan of hers)

Then the album came out and proved me 100% wrong, and BMS fits better in the album context.

I can't see that anything else would have worked.... maybe Summer Renaissance? But I get why they didn't lead with it.

This song sucks major ass. The only stain on the album imo but I somehow can‘t imagine anything other than Cuff It doing well as a single.

Then again, TikTokers have odd taste and make unexpected songs go viral, so maybe something daring could have gained way more traction.