Metric

FOTP's Song Contest S1 | Winner Revealed (Pg.58)

ROUND 1 

"AT THE TOP"

Rank the entries and send them to me through PM

Excluding your own entry, rank from 1-22:

1. ex: Try Again [BEST SONG]

2. ex: Hollaback Girl [2ND BEST SONG]

22. ex: Goodies [WORST SONG]

Spoiler

Madonna - Live To Tell

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

Katy Perry  - Teenage Dream

Shakira - Hips Don't Lie

Melanie - Brand New Key

Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl

Brandy & Monica - The Boy Is Mine

Nelly Furtado -  Say It Right

Harry Styles - As It Was

Nelly - Dilemma

Monica - The First Night 

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe 

Madonna -  Like A Prayer

Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball

Cher - Believe 

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend 

Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love

The Weeknd - Blinding Lights

Rihanna - Umbrella 

Mariah Carey - We Belong Together

Ciara - Goodies

Aaliyah - Try Again

Madonna - Vogue

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

DEADLINE: AUGUST 21TH 6PM PT

Please post your critiques if you can (In your critiques you must critique your own song, just don't make it obvious)

2 minutes ago, max said:

Ignore her, she drinks. Ellie OBVIOUSLY is a semi successful book author. clap1

The fact Ellie has a song named "The Writer" makes this even more funnier sia2 

Enjoy! Will add Madonna’s “Vogue” once I get home

Spoiler

1. Cher – Believe: MY FAVE SONG EVER. I love this song so much. Even though it’s kind of a….sad song? It really makes me so happy every time I listen to this. It’s just so iconic. I love Cher so so so so so so much and I’m so glad she’s on this list. My absolute #1 by far. 

2. Mariah Carey – We Belong Together: Am I being biased when I put this song on #2 just because I’m a lamb? ABSOLUTELY and I love it. This song is just perfection. The songwriting Mimi is credited for really shines through on this song and I really feel like this is her big come back song. I love this song with my whole heart and I love Mariah. 

3. Madonna – Like A Prayer: Do I need to say anything else? This song is so extremely iconic. It’s just a blueprint for so many pop songs, it’s controversial, Madonna truly said “let me shock the world especially America” with this one. 

4. Gwen Stefani – Hollaback Girl: BAD BITCH ANTHEM OF THE CENTURIES. THIS SONG IS SO MOTHERFUCKING GOOD. THIS IS 00’S MUSIC AT IT’S FINIEST. You can’t do ANYTHING but to scream these lyrics when this comes on. This still gets played so many times at clubs in the Netherlands. Ugh, I love this song.  

5. Avril Lavigne – Girlfriend : WHO ALLOWED SO MANY POP PERFECTION SONGS TO BE ON THIS PLAYLIST? This is also fucking iconic, yes I know it’s getting repetitive, but I have nothing else to say about these songs. #KylieBOPS

6. Nelly ft. Kelly Rowland – Dilemma: YES YES YES YES YES! I’m so incredibly glad this song is included on this list, this is probably one of my favoriete songs from the 00’s. This song makes me happy, it’s such a cute r ‘n b song and I’m so glad Kelly is on it, instead of Beyoncé. This was truly her moment to shine. We also stan that cute little Patti Labelle sample yes. 

7. Ciara – Goodies: You literally can’t sit still when this song comes on. It’s such a shame Ciara is so forgotten now, because she truly had the potential to become one of the biggest r ‘n b super stars on this world. This song is so incredibly good and makes me feel like the baddest bitch. 

8. Rihanna ft. Jay – Z – Umbrella: Arguably Rihanna’s biggest hit ever? This song is just amazing, it’s fun and isn’t this the era where she really took a bit of control on her music career? Anyway, it’s a fun bop!

9. Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love: It’s such a shame we don’t hear of this queen anymore, because this song is so incredibly gorgeous. Even in 2022 it sounds fresh and nice. I remember being 12 and heartbroken and listening to this song over and over again and even feel bad for the people in the original video clip lol.

10. Madonna – Live To Tell: This song sounds straight out the 80’s and I absolutely stan for that. Even though the song is a bit long for my taste, especially the intro, it’s a cute bop and I can understand why Little Medonsters hype this up so much. The last 2 minutes are so insanely good omfg. 

11. Aaliyah – Try Again: Adore this song!

12. Nelly Furtado – Say It Right: O my God, I forgot about this song almost entirely. This song was so huge, it was everywhere back in the days. Is this also the song with Nelly on that huge skyscraper looking absolutely flawfree? Well the song is at least. I love this a lot. 

13. Monica & Brandy – The Boy Is Mine: The blueprint for a lot of later R&B songs in my opinion. Absolutely love this song, nothing negative to say about this. 

14. The Weeknd – Blinding Lights: My husband Abel really did THAT with this single. Changed the game to 80’s pop. I feel like the hype for this song is still not over yet, or did we move on from this song? Anyway, this sounds fresh and sound and this is a fucking masterpiece.

15. Katy Perry – Teenage Dream: Oh, this song brings back so many memories. It’s such a cute pop bop. The lyrics in this song are top notch, the production sounds so good. For me, this song is top Katy Perry. Let me bop a little while.

16. Harry Styles – As It Was: I think we all know this song has potential to become as iconic as a lot of the songs on this list, I just don’t feel like it’s “there” yet. That’s why it’s not higher on the list for me, because I don’t feel like it surpassed the legacy of a lot of these songs on this list. But it’s an amazing bop and Harry is doing his absolute best to become an pop icon, if he isn’t one already.

17. Monica – The First Night: I didn’t know this song, it was probably not so big in the Netherlands. I think it’s okay. It’s obviously a r & b song since Monica is a r ‘n b singer, but I feel like the ones we heard on this list were just bigger songs. I don’t think this is bad, just average to the songs we have heard before this. 

18. Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball: Yeah, this song was fun for the memes back in like…2013/2014 I thought it was? But in 2022 this song just sounds boring and bland for me. Miley has way and way better songs then this mess. I don’t understand the people allowed to become this #1, but nothing from Plastic Hearts. Such a tragedy. 

19. Fleetwood Mac – Dreams: I never thought that I would know a Fleetwood Mac song, but I actually do recognize this one. It’s cute, but nothing special. I don’t understand why people are such huge fans of Fleetwood Mac. Like with this song, it’s iconic, but there’s no highlight in this song. It’s good that this is a remaster though, because otherwise, this would sound like straight out the 70’s. 

20. Melanie – Brand New Key: Nope, this is absolutely not for me. I think her voice is annoying, it’s too much of a clown song for me. No, I don’t really like this. Tbh, I didn’t finish this song, because….nope. This doesn’t mean this is a bad song though, it’s just not for me. What are these lyrics though?

21. Shakira ft. Wyclef Jean – Hips Don’t Lie: Except for Mario Spears, I don’t believe there are Shakira fans on this world. And I understand why. Her voice is so annoying, it’s just like….no. I never liked this song and I will never like this song, it’s an overhyped mess. Maybe she can teach the other prisoners the choreo though! 

22. Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe: Curse the person who put this on this list. Just a big, fat: NO.

1 hour ago, Kylie said:

18. Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball: Yeah, this song was fun for the memes back in like…2013/2014 I thought it was? But in 2022 this song just sounds boring and bland for me. Miley has way and way better songs then this mess. I don’t understand the people allowed to become this #1, but nothing from Plastic Hearts. Such a tragedy. 

19. Fleetwood Mac – Dreams: I never thought that I would know a Fleetwood Mac song, but I actually do recognize this one. It’s cute, but nothing special. I don’t understand why people are such huge fans of Fleetwood Mac. Like with this song, it’s iconic, but there’s no highlight in this song. It’s good that this is a remaster though, because otherwise, this would sound like straight out the 70’s. 

20. Melanie – Brand New Key: Nope, this is absolutely not for me. I think her voice is annoying, it’s too much of a clown song for me. No, I don’t really like this. Tbh, I didn’t finish this song, because….nope. This doesn’t mean this is a bad song though, it’s just not for me. What are these lyrics though?

21. Shakira ft. Wyclef Jean – Hips Don’t Lie: Except for Mario Spears, I don’t believe there are Shakira fans on this world. And I understand why. Her voice is so annoying, it’s just like….no. I never liked this song and I will never like this song, it’s an overhyped mess. Maybe she can teach the other prisoners the choreo though! 

22. Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe: Curse the person who put this on this list. Just a big, fat: NO.

Please tell me you're lying dead2