Snow

Netflix planning to ditch its binge model for a weekly release format

Netflix-Binge-Model-Release-Change-Stran

Binge model releases are a staple of Netflix, but a new report claims the streaming service wants to begin moving away from them and embrace more week-to-week releases.

The streaming wars have had a great impact on Netflix in recent years. The increased competition has put even greater pressure on these originals to perform, which is increasingly more difficult as Disney+, HBO Max, Prime Video, Hulu, Apple TV+, Peacock, and more ramp up original programming.

There have been a lot of conversations about how Netflix can change and adapt to stay ahead of the game. The service has become a lot harsher with its cancelations, and the growing importance Netflix places on viewership in the first week and month of a show's release have reignited conversations about if the binge release model is still best.

It now appears that Netflix could be on the verge of making a big change. In a new edition of the Puck News newsletter, it is suggested that Netflix wants to move away from binge model releases in some form. Netflix currently uses weekly episode drops for some reality competition shows, but there might soon be a time when it becomes used for Netflix's biggest originals as a means of keeping viewers engaged over a longer period of time. Matthew Belloni noted in the newsletter that Netflix CEO Reed Hastings "has seemed unwilling to pivot off the binge model because he hasn’t needed or wanted to. Now, it appears, he does."

Netflix has already begun experimenting with other release models besides the binge model that worked so well for them. Recently, subscribers have seen Ozark season 4 and Stranger Things season 4 split into two parts. Netflix plans to do the same with Manifest season 4. The potential move to weekly episode drops for some shows would finally see Netflix revert to the original television release model that other major streaming competition also use.

There have long been calls for Netflix to begin releasing episodes weekly: It gives audiences an easier way to experience the show without worrying about seeing spoilers for newly released shows and seasons. 

Would you be here for this?

x

The best thing about Netflix is the fact that they release everything at once. I feel like going back to one episode a week is a step back. I understand the pros of it too, keeping the viewers engaged for a longer time, but then I’d probably just wait until the whole season is released anyway because cliffhangers and waiting a week for the next episode is so annoying.

The binge model is the worst mode of consuming content, this is much better for everyone involved. Y'all survived TV, you'll survive this. They're smart to take note of HBO Max and Disney Plus being able to keep their shows alive for so long following this format. It's much more exciting as a viewer to wait between episodes. 

36 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

The binge model is the worst mode of consuming content, this is much better for everyone involved. Y'all survived TV, you'll survive this. They're smart to take note of HBO Max and Disney Plus being able to keep their shows alive for so long following this format. It's much more exciting as a viewer to wait between episodes. 

We survived TV because we didn't know any better, it doesn't mean we wanna go back to the same tired one episode a week thing nicki5

8 hours ago, Kristina said:

We survived TV because we didn't know any better, it doesn't mean we wanna go back to the same tired one episode a week thing nicki5

Binging is detrimental to the product. It saps the shows of all their natural drama to dump it all out at one time. Part of the thrill is the anticipation of waiting a week to see how things turn out. All a binge model does is see creatives loading a show up with as much eye candy and flashy show pieces as possible in order to tide an audience over for viewing in one weekend. With a weekly release model, creatives are more incentivized to take their time and tell their story at a more even pace. Binging is why show quality has been in a general decline. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Binging is detrimental to the product. It saps the shows of all their natural drama to dump it all out at one time. Part of the thrill is the anticipation of waiting a week to see how things turn out. All a binge model does is see creatives loading a show up with as much eye candy and flashy show pieces as possible in order to tide an audience over for viewing in one weekend. With a weekly release model, creatives are more incentivized to take their time and tell their story at a more even pace. Binging is why show quality has been in a general decline. 

I understand why the producers and Netflix would prefer to space it out, but most people would prefer the binging model. I can see a lot of people just waiting for the entire season to be out. Releasing one episode a week just feels really outdated

11 hours ago, Kristina said:

I understand why the producers and Netflix would prefer to space it out, but most people would prefer the binging model. I can see a lot of people just waiting for the entire season to be out. Releasing one episode a week just feels really outdated

But is it not worth it for both better quality content and ensuring that the shows you love get to stay in production? The longer they continue with the binge model, the more they’re gonna have to keep cutting shows. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

But is it not worth it for both better quality content and ensuring that the shows you love get to stay in production? The longer they continue with the binge model, the more they’re gonna have to keep cutting shows. 

No nicki5