Snow

Italy elects far-right prime minister, biggest shift since WW2

000_32JY7UE-1024x640.jpg

Far-right leader Giorgia Meloni has claimed victory in Italy's election, and is on course to become the country's first female prime minister.

Ms Meloni is widely expected to form Italy's most right-wing government since World War Two. That will alarm much of Europe as Italy is the EU's third-biggest economy.

Giorgia Meloni appears certain to become prime minister but it will be for the president, Sergio Mattarella, to nominate her and that is unlikely to happen before late October.

Earlier this year she outlined her priorities in a raucous speech to Spain's far-right Vox party: "Yes to the natural family, no to the LGBT lobby, yes to sexual identity, no to gender ideology... no to Islamist violence, yes to secure borders, no to mass migration... no to big international finance... no to the bureaucrats of Brussels!"

However, speaking after the vote, Ms Meloni said her Brothers of Italy party would "govern for everyone" and would not betray people's trust. "Italians have sent a clear message in favour of a right-wing government led by Brothers of Italy," she told reporters in Rome, holding up a sign saying "Thank you Italy".

She is set to win around 26% of the vote, ahead of her closest rival Enrico Letta from the centre left. Mr Letta told reporters on Monday that the far-right victory was a "sad day for Italy and Europe" but his party would provide a "strong and intransigent opposition".

Ms Meloni's right-wing alliance - which also includes Matteo Salvini's far-right League and former PM Silvio Berlusconi's centre-right Forza Italia - will take control of both the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies, with around 44% of the vote.

Four years ago, Brothers of Italy won little more than 4% of the vote but this time benefited from staying out of the national unity government that collapsed in July. The party's dramatic success in the vote disguised the fact that her allies performed poorly, with the League slipping below 9%, and Forza Italia even lower.

x

11 minutes ago, Snow said:

"Yes to the natural family, no to the LGBT lobby, yes to sexual identity, no to gender ideology... no to Islamist violence, yes to secure borders, no to mass migration... no to big international finance... no to the bureaucrats of Brussels!"

mad5 

57 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Send help bebe1 

I don’t understand this veneration of Mussolini. 

Even separate from the… you know, fascism thing. He was a windbag and a pus, and spent more time fucking and drinking than governing and thinking. He was a jealous, petty man that would sell his country down the river to save himself.  He led your country to down the primrose path to ruin and almost destroyed it. 

I don’t get it.

4 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

I don’t understand this veneration of Mussolini. 

Even separate from the… you know, fascism thing. He was a windbag and a pus, and spent more time fucking and drinking than governing and thinking. He was a jealous, petty man that would sell his country down the river to save himself.  He led your country to down the primrose path to ruin and almost destroyed it. 

I don’t get it.

That's because they portrayed him as a saviour. Italy kinda has this fetishization of a big strong man leading and I think it stayed in people's mind to this day. It's like in the UK colonialism or the US past. They portray a distorted reality of it. 

Just now, Princess Aurora said:

That's because they portrayed him as a saviour. Italy kinda has this fetishization of a big strong man leading and I think it stayed in people's mind to this day. It's like in the UK colonialism or the US past. They portray a distorted reality of it. 

He literally invaded Albania and Greece knowing he couldn’t do it and only because he was jealous of Hitler. It is so mind blowing that anyone can distort that in the 21st century. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

He literally invaded Albania and Greece knowing he couldn’t do it and only because he was jealous of Hitler. It is so mind blowing that anyone can distort that in the 21st century. 

I know, right? My country literally simplified Fascism by simply saying ''Fascism is bad'' but not with all the details. Many Italians don't know about Italy's colonial past in Africa for example. Some Italians think that Mussolini invented retirements when it's not true. Unfortunately the Fascist Ghost is still here. Berlusconi brought it back to life a long time ago with his coalitions, this is why we got ''Fratelli d'Italia''. I'd call them ''Enemies of Italy'' actually true1