Snow

Trump officially announces 2024 presidential campaign

GettyImages-1440141408.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Donald Trump, the only president impeached twice, launched a campaign to reclaim the Oval Office on Tuesday, two years after voters ousted him and a week after they rejected his hand-picked candidates in several pivotal Senate races.

"America's comeback starts right now," Trump said from the ballroom of his Mar-a-Lago resort.

“But we have always known that this was not the end; it was only the beginning of our fight to rescue the American dream,” Trump said, adding a twist to his trademark slogan. “In order to Make America Great and Glorious Again, I am tonight announcing my candidacy for president of the United States.”

He made his announcement about the 2024 presidential election by touting successes in the House, where Republicans expect that they will hold a majority — albeit much slimmer than expected — when the remaining undecided races are called.

Trump played heavily in Republican primaries this year, but his favored candidates performed poorly: Mehmet Oz in Pennsylvania, Don Bolduc in New Hampshire, Blake Masters in Arizona and Adam Laxalt in Nevada all lost. Herschel Walker, the GOP nominee for the Senate in Georgia, placed second and is headed for a runoff against Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock.

So, while Trump has consistently outpolled potential primary rivals and demonstrated unrivaled fundraising prowess, his candidacy will test GOP voters' fidelity to a former president who has been the party's dominant player in three straight disappointing election cycles — the 2018 and 2022 midterms and his own loss in 2020. Many Republicans would like Ron DeSantis, who won a second term as governor of Trump's home state, Florida, by about 20 points last week, to emerge as the nominee in 2024.

x

3 hours ago, GlenCoco said:

is he running as an independent candidate and dividing the republican vote? 

or he is going to run for the republican party again 

He’s naturally going to go for the Republican nomination. Independent candidates are hard to run for obvious reasons — but there’s also the matter of the infrastructure around it. The Republican and Democratic Parties have massive infrastructures on the ground. That’s what largely spoiled his vanity run in 2000.

But I can foresee the vote being split even if he attains the Republican nomination though. Not enough to spoil a win in a deep red, conservative state — but maybe enough to ensure a win, or solidify a Biden win in a swing state like Arizona. 

Which is fine with me — whatever robs him of a second term and prevents him from putting the country to the torch.