Snow

FIFA bans pro-LGBTQ rainbow armband from Qatar World Cup

FdK-TZCXEAAg_i5?format=jpg&name=small

England and Harry Kane will not be allowed to wear the ‘One Love’ armband at the Qatar World Cup, it has been reported.

According to the Telegraph, the FA have been told that players will not be allowed to wear the armband, which is designed to show solidarity with minority groups that are criminalised in Qatar. The report states that FIFA held a standard meeting with team officials on Sunday, where it was revealed that their regulations do not allow any extra equipment to be worn. The decision has left the FA ‘deeply frustrated’.

“There is concern among some European nations who have pledged to wear the armband in Qatar that the team captain could be subject to a booking as soon as the game kicks off, although that has not yet been conveyed to the players,” the Telegraph article states.

Kane is one of 10 captains who have indicated they will wear the OneLove armband - which includes a "heart containing colours representative of all backgrounds". 

“I am honoured to join my fellow national team captains in supporting the important OneLove campaign," Kane has said previously. “As captains we may all be competing against each other on the pitch, but we stand together against all forms of discrimination. This is even more relevant at a time when division is common in society. Wearing the armband together on behalf of our teams will send a clear message when the world is watching.”

The initiative was created by the Netherlands, and will also be supported by Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and Wales, as well as Kane's England.

x

6 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

Fifa really are digging their own grave, everything aside the fact they chose Qatar of all places in the first place. 

Nothing will happen. Soccer fans are savages most likely support Qatar since they’re so homophobic. 

Every single captain should wear them, so kudos to the ones who are planning to clap3 hope more people follow. Qatar and FIFA will just end up looking worse than they already do if they kick them off the field.

10 hours ago, Madonna said:

FIFA and soccer/football in general being canceled is pretty hilarious to me. This sport has always been incredibly homophobic. It's good to see people finally opening their eyes and acknowledging that.

I think it's sports in general that have been homophobic. Some took less time to embrace us but they're all p bad for LGBT+ people moo12

21 hours ago, Madonna said:

FIFA and soccer/football in general being canceled is pretty hilarious to me. This sport has always been incredibly homophobic. It's good to see people finally opening their eyes and acknowledging that.

10 hours ago, Chris said:

I think it's sports in general that have been homophobic. Some took less time to embrace us but they're all p bad for LGBT+ people moo12

“Sports” in general isn’t homophobic, just like any fandom, it’s the loud minority that make it seem that way. The world of football/soccer has started to become a bit more inclusive. A gay Australian soccer player came out as gay last year I think and received an influx of support. There is a lot more work that needs to be done of course in the realm of discrimination in soccer (case in point, this rip4). I just don’t think we should write off soccer or sports in general because of the fuck ups of one organisation.