Snow

One of the next World Cup could take place in North Korea

World-Cup.jpg

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has admitted North Korea could host a World Cup in the future, as he looks to bring 'real change'. 

Infantino - who is set to be re-elected for a third term - revealed that any nation is eligible to host an event, adding that his organisation wants to help unite the world. Infantino gave an extended speech ahead of the start of the controversial Qatar World Cup on Sunday, in which he hit back at the criticism levelled at FIFA over the staging of the tournament. 

'FIFA is a global football organisation,' Infantino said. 'We are football people, not politicians, and we want to bring people together. Any country can host an event. If North Korea wants to host something..'

'I actually went to North Korea some years ago to ask the North Koreans if they were ready to host part of a Women’s World Cup with South Korea. Well, I was not successful, obviously, but I would go another 100 times if it would help.'

'Only engagement can bring real change. We’re a global organisation and want to remain an organisation that unites the world.'

Ranked 112th in the world, North Korea have not made an appearance at football's greatest tournament since South Africa 2010, their second outing having debuted at England 1966. 

Infantino's comments come amid heavy backlash for the World Cup, set to kick-off on Sunday, with many pointing to human rights violations and deaths of workers in Qatar in their criticism. But he remained steadfast in his insistence that supporters should focus on the football, rather than point to issues with the tournament. 

x