Metric

FOTP's Song Contest S2: Winner Revealed (Pg.76)

34 minutes ago, Shego said:

Were we supposed to pick the song that was their only hit, or any song from their discography? 

On 1/28/2023 at 7:15 PM, Verona said:

It can be any song by the artist

ellie1

Alexandra Stan - It's My Life: It’s giving… something. A cute bop but it’s kind of missing something. 

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy: I like this one. Probably not a top pick for me personally though. 

Foster The People - Pay The Man: Not bad not amazing. Not so sure about this. 

Duffy - Mercy: Whew this was a throwback. I never loved this song but her voice is interesting. 

Hilary Duff - Sparks: This is cute. Top contender this round!

Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles: I mean this is super iconic and fits the theme perfectly. An iconic song. 

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness: I don’t think so. Very sorry. It’s a bit too slow in this round. 

Icona Pop - All Night: Not my fave but definitely not bad. 

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat: Overplayed and overrated but fits the theme nonetheless. 

Zara Larsson - Can't Tame Her: I’m not the biggest Zara stan but I actually love this one. It’s giving nostalgia. 

Fiona Apple - The First Taste: A little slow. I guess it’s okay. 

Take That - The Flood: I like this one. The chorus gives me life. Good pick. 

Jamelia - Superstar: Absolutely. One of my favorites this round I can’t lie. 

AWOLNATION - Sail: This is so meme. I do think it’s a great song though. 

6 hours ago, Kristina said:

Hilary Duff has multiple top 40 entries! I was gonna go with Sparks as well until I found out. Disqualify ha ellie1 

5 hours ago, Snow said:

I don't think Jamelia has ever charted on the Hot 100..? ellie1 I thought it'd be the Christmas song, but her version (Band Aid 20) didn't seem to chart there either.

Y'all wake up and choose violence ellie1

Alexandra Stan - It's My Life: It's pretty cute! Not bad, although it does feel like it's missing the "oomph" factor and feels a bit flat without it. But definitely not bad. 

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy: Today I learned that Gnarls Barkley is actually CeeLo Green. I wish I didn't. 

Foster The People - Pay The Man: Gets better and better as it progresses! The bridge is killer. My favorite so far. 

Duffy - Mercy: This is certainly a pretty good pick! Probably won't be my top favorite of the round, but you can't go wrong with this one.

Hilary Duff - Sparks: Every time I hear this song I am reminded of the time she terrorized her stans with Tinder. Great song otherwise. Though, she does have multiple Top 40 hits, so that's probably going to hurt its position a lot. 

Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles: The ultimate American white girl anthem. Unfortunately, I am not an American white girl. 

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness: An interesting choice! It didn't quite resonate with me as well as I thought it would, but Phoebe is always a welcome addition. Being sandwiched between a bunch of high-energy songs is rough though. 

Icona Pop - All Night: Actually considered submitting Icona Pop myself! I used to be obsessed with this song, good choice. It's aged pretty well I'd say. 

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat: Doesn't hit as hard as it used to, but it's still a pretty safe bop, I guess? I'm so tired of this song though I can't lie. I really would've appreciated a deeper cut rather than the more obvious picks. 

Zara Larsson - Can't Tame Her: Thought this was Blinding Lights at first.. It's a good song, although I do think Zara has much better songs in her repertoire. I think she has at least 4 songs that would've landed her solidly at my #1. But this ranks highly this round nonetheless.

Fiona Apple - The First Taste: I can't remember the last time I listened to Fiona, but this was alright. Could be a bit shorter.

Take That - The Flood: I feel like every Take That song I've heard sounds more or less like this. It's not terrible, just not a standout. 

Jamelia - Superstar: Hmm.. requirements issues aside, I don't think this is quite for me. I might've eaten it up 15 years ago though. 

AWOLNATION - Sail: Very mixed feelings about this song because I feel like it's been following me for over 10 years now and I would've been content never hearing this song ever again. It has a resurgence like at least once a year. Objectively though, it's not bad. 

Alexandra Stan - It's My Life: I never thought I’d see a round with two Alexandra songs! I actually love her Rainbows album, but this is one of the weaker tracks from it. might be a bit too obscure too? ellie1 she had many better songs to choose from, ngl.

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy: most definitely a one hit wonder, and a classic. it’s a good song, don’t really have much more to say.

Foster The People - Pay The Man: not what I expected at all, it’s quite different from their one hit. It’s pretty meh though.

Duffy - Mercy: definitely a classic, never been a huge fan of it though. it’s giving Amy Winehouse from Wish.

Hilary Duff - Sparks: my favorite song this round by far, literal pop perfection. still gonna rate it dead last because it doesn’t fit the theme, she has several top 40 entries.

Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles: this song is so overplayed and it wasn’t good to begin with. It’s a meme, a commercial song and everything else in between. It’s dull and just found out she had another too 30 single, so I’m gonna rate it low not only based on the fact that the song is shit, but also that.

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness: it’s a brave choice for sure. It’s too boring for me and I don’t understand what her one hit is? ellie1 couldn’t seem to find one that charted in the US.

Icona Pop - All Night: it’s a bit basic, but still one of the better songs for me this round.

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat: it’s a bop through and through, not gonna lie. but again, she had better songs to choose from.

Zara Larsson - Can't Tame Her: literally any Zara single would’ve been better than this. Love Zara, but this one ain’t it. I don’t like the 80s throwback sound in music

Fiona Apple - The First Taste: this is literal elevator or waiting room music.. didn’t really go anywhere. just felt way too long. 

Take That - The Flood: it’s exactly what I expected it to sound like. its not bad, just very predictable?

Jamelia - Superstar: again one of the best songs this round, but not on theme, which drags it down to the bottom for me.

AWOLNATION - Sail: I honestly don’t know whether I love or hate this song.. it feels very overplayed. The instrumental is amazing, but not really a fan of the vocals.

an overall WEAK round if im being honest ellie1 we could to better than this.

47 minutes ago, Kristina said:

it’s giving Amy Winehouse from Wish

💀

47 minutes ago, Kristina said:

she had another too 30 single, so I’m gonna rate it low not only based on the fact that the song is shit, but also that.

loving the detective work omg ny2 thanks for this find, imma also make sure to bump this a few spots down, personally hoping its @max 's submission sass1

12 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

💀

loving the detective work omg ny2 thanks for this find, imma also make sure to bump this a few spots, personally hoping its @max 's submission sass1

The desperation and obsession, I love to see it. sass1

My comments incoming, the ones that don't align with the theme... You in danger, girlies. gaga4

Alexandra Stan - It's My Life: I was thinking about picking her myself, but didn't because I knew at least Kristina would pick her as well. gaga4  Personally I would have gone with her best song tho: Lemonade. This one is okay, I guess. 

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy: It's somewhat of an iconic throwback song. I don't remember the last time I listened to this or enjoyed it thouhh. It's overplayed and a bit annoying, but that might just be Cee-Lo. I wonder why they only had this one hit... 

Foster The People - Pay The Man: Waste and Coming Of Age are right there.

Duffy - Mercy: The legendary miss Duffy! I adore her, love her voice and have such a soft spot for the Rockferry album. The pure nostalgia. Mercy - however - is not my favorite track of the album. But of course pretty high up in my rankings. Whoever picked this, you're an icon I guess. 

Hilary Duff - Sparks: It bops a bit. That's it.

Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles: She's cute but more of a laughable meme nowadays, isn't she?

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness: Where is the hit song, sis?

Icona Pop - All Night: Oh damn, this kind of surprised me. I haven't even thought about Icona Pop in years. But this song still slaps tbh. Overall I probably prefer Girlfriend though.

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat: The better Alexandra song won. It's still no Lemonade of course.

Zara Larsson - Can't Tame Her: I don't know much about Zara tbh, only that she's a flop that Kristina stans. This song was cute but didn't really go anywhere. Luckily there are a handfull of songs that didn't play by the rules so this should be just fine. clap3 

Fiona Apple - The First Taste: Fiona is a legend, this song is not among her best but I can see why the person chose it for a game like this. Top material. 

Take That - The Flood: Can we at least try to be a bit more... mysterious. 

Jamelia - Superstar: BYE CHEATER

AWOLNATION - Sail: Nice choice! Similarly as Icona Pop this came as quite of a surprise to me. I used to listen to them a fair bit so this is really taking me back. Great pick that sounds out for many reasons. Let's hope this will do decently enough!

55 minutes ago, Kristina said:

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness: it’s a brave choice for sure. It’s too boring for me and I don’t understand what her one hit is? ellie1 

7 minutes ago, max said:

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness: Where is the hit song, sis?

Phoebe's Top 40 hit is Ghost in the Machine (SZA feature) which is a non-single.. so it's not really a "real hit" per se nor is she a one hit wonder, but a Top 40 hit is a Top 40 hit I guess ellie1

16 minutes ago, Snow said:

Phoebe's Top 40 hit is Ghost in the Machine (SZA feature) which is a non-single.. so it's not really a "real hit" per se nor is she a one hit wonder, but a Top 40 hit is a Top 40 hit I guess ellie1

thank you for clarifying ellie1 

8 minutes ago, StrippedX said:

The cheaters this round I - ellie1 Maybe I should’ve been tougher on my ranking ellie1 

Some others will probably not vote before saturday so we have time to rig this ellie1