Metric

FOTP's Song Contest S2: Winner Revealed (Pg.76)

5 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

i think it's kinda inevitable, i doubt anyone went for like any songs released earlier than the late '80s or so... so in a way all the choices will probably feel safe but indeed some safer than others. brit10 this round will be a mess i know it.

I’m thinking Blindling Lights/Levitating kinda safe katy1

ROUND 13

"Number Ones"

Rank the entries and send them to me through PM

Excluding your own entries, rank from 1-10:

Spoiler

George Michael - Careless Whisper

Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High

Adele - Rolling In The Deep

Alicia Keys - Un-thinkable (I'm Ready)

Blondie - Call Me

Mary J. Blige - Be Without You

Dua Lipa - Levitating

Silk Sonic - Leave The Door Open

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You

Mariah Carey - We Belong Together

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Deadline: March 14th 10AM CST

1 hour ago, Gabe. said:

i doubt anyone went for like any songs released earlier than the late '80s or so

But they did!

Justice for Bette Davis Eyes, Physical and Sexual Healing tho rose1

George Michael - Careless Whisper: This is such a  cheesy commerical song.. I can only think of that, pretty sure it was used in a Yoplait commercial or something.

Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High: Never heard this before actually.. Sounds like a classic R&B song of its time, not doing much for me, but could be worse.

Adele - Rolling In The Deep: A modern classic. Not a huge fan of it personally, but I can't deny its a huge song.

Alicia Keys - Un-thinkable (I'm Ready): One of my favorite Alicia songs, but I didn't have the guts to submit it myself. So glad someone did it, such a great (and underrated) song.

Blondie - Call Me: Another classic, but only the chorus is recognizable really. Pretty mid.

Mary J. Blige - Be Without You: Oh I had forgot about this, but this one is another classic. Quite enjoy this one actually.

Dua Lipa - Levitating: Dead last for me. Not only is it the most safe choice there is, I don't enjoy the song or Dua's Future Nostalgia era at all. And it's overplayed to death.

Silk Sonic - Leave The Door Open: Cute song. Gets kind of boring after a while, it's a bit too long.

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know: This overplayed mess. Don't know whether I love or hate it, it's kind of boring except for the chorus, but it's not the worst song here

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You: Another good Alicia song I must say clap3

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You: It's obviously a good song. Didn't even notice it was on the list of songs to pick tbh. Might be a bit of a safe choice, but whatever

Mariah Carey - We Belong Together: One of Mariah's actually good songs.

George Michael - Careless Whisper; that was a classic. The intro alone >> 

Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High; I don't know, Toni has a lovely voice but her songs are just so tepid to me.

Adele - Rolling In The Deep; definitely a modern day classic but too much of a safe choice for me to consider it as a frontrunner this round.

Alicia Keys - Un-thinkable (I'm Ready); a smooth one, I'm liking it a bit although it's a bit too smooth and sleep inducing at points.

Blondie - Call Me; I wasn't familiar with this one but it's enjoyable! The round needed an up-tempo moment and this provided that. 

Mary J. Blige - Be Without You; For me this suffers from the same thing as the Toni song but I'll admit it's a bit more... lively. 

Dua Lipa - Levitating; I'm agreeing with Kristina on this being TOO SAFE of a choice and also the song itself didn't ever do much for me. It's a good song, just not what I wanted to see at this point in the contest.

Silk Sonic - Leave The Door Open; Loved this one.

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know; Meh. One for the qUiRkY girls I see. Not the best, not the worst choice this round, Kimbra's verse is really great though.

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You; The better Alicia Offkeys song this round even though her singing here is an acquired taste to say the least.

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You; see Adele.

Mariah Carey - We Belong Together; see Adele and Whitney. 

1 hour ago, Gabe. said:

we should bring back mandatory critiques. sass1

It's fun for lyrical or theme based rounds, here it's basically just "was a hit, I like it" or "was a hit, I don't like it" ellie1 

Careless Whisper - An iconic classic. It’s gotten kind of meme-able over the years though. I still think it’s a good song.

You’re Making Me High - I really like it. It might be a bit too slow for this round though but we’ll see. 

Rolling In The Deep - One of the most overrated and overplayed songs in our time. It’s not bad but lord knows it’s not my fave. 

Un-thinkable (I’m Ready) - We love an Alicia Keys moment! This is not her best in any way though. 

Call Me - Not my type of music but I can’t deny it’s a classic. Nothing more to say really. It’s ok. 

Be Without You - Ohhh I love this so much. Vocals, music, lyrics let’s goooo top 3. 

Levitating - I means it’s a great song. Cute moment. But very very safe. 

Leave The Door Open - I kinda like this. Not a fave but it has its cute moments.

Somebody That I Used To Know - Also overplayed as Adele and it’s only just an ok song anyway. 

If I Ain’t Got You - This is Alicia at her best and I absolutely love to see it! One of my fave songs to sing as well. 

I Will Always Love You - Obviously an overplayed song and a safe pick which I even considered myself lol. I’ll always stan this song though. 

We Belong Together - Mariah’s best song after Mine Again and it SHOULD be placed in top 5. 

George Michael - Careless Whisper: i know it's a classic but it's cheesy and i've never liked it that much

Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High: this bops

Adele - Rolling In The Deep: one of my least favorite Adele songs tbh

Alicia Keys - Un-thinkable (I'm Ready): boring, did not enjoy it much

Blondie - Call Me: nice change of pace and I love her voice

Mary J. Blige - Be Without You: it's alright! 

Dua Lipa - Levitating: i agree it's a lazy choice but i cannot deny it's a great song shrug1 

Silk Sonic - Leave The Door Open: a great choice; this song is amazing

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know: never liked it much when it was big but it's been growing on me in the last few years 

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You: one of the best songs of the round, she's taking it

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love Youwell it's one of the best selling songs of all time for a reason... Whitney remains unmatched rose1 

Mariah Carey - We Belong Together: classic Mariah, cannot go wrong with this song 

i appreciate those who tried to include a bit of variety jj2