Snow

Ava Max: 'Sweet But Psycho' paved the way for pop music again

Ava-Max-03.jpg?w=1581&h=1054&crop=1

“I was yelling this at the top of my lungs,” she recalls “I said, ‘If “Sweet but Psycho” does nothing, I’m done.’”

Luckily, the universe listened to her prayers: “Sweet But Psycho” became a force. Spotify added the track to their New Music Friday playlist – the only pop song featured that week, she says.

“Isn’t that crazy?” Before she knew it, it had racked up 1.4 billion streams. The song’s sticky melody was a stark contrast to popular chart-toppers at the time, which included Drake’s “In My Feelings,” Travis Scott’s “Sicko Mode,” and Ella Mai’s “Boo’d Up.” Many artists were veering into R&B, but Max wanted to double down on upbeat, pure pop. “‘Sweet but Psycho’ kind of paved the way for pop music again,” she says. 

x

This girlfriend really needs to take it easy. We all know she thinks she is the new "queen of pop" but no one even moved when Sweet But Psycho came out. It's a boring, mediocre pop record. It's okay, but nothing special. Now Ava has made comments more often showing that she thinks she invented pop music. You didn't, come back to earth. She is so incredibly irritating and I hope her new album flops for the gods. 

I kind of see it though. The charts were very hip-hop/R&B dominated at the time, even the "pop" songs weren't fully pop. When Sweet But Psycho dropped, everyone was saying how reminiscent of the early 2010's it was and that it sounded like some of Gaga's early stuff.

On 1/25/2023 at 2:40 AM, Madonna said:

She's literally just a manufactured mini-Gaga. 💀 Like…they aren’t even trying to hide the fact. Aside from that, the majority of her music is ass.

couldn't agree more. 

I used to think she was an artist stunted by a label but the further her career goes the more directionless and delusional she seems.

She doesn't have a distinct style or voice, not to say she's a bad vocalist or her music is terrible.

It's all just very mid and forgettable. She's not out here paving anything but maybe the sidewalk while artists like Dua, Ariana, and the Weekend have been paving the rode for several years now.

i love this girl. she's pure unapologetically pop and we need this so badly. we need that upbeat dance pop to make a return and she's def trying to do so and i love it.

stream diamonds and dancefloors!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dua Lipa and The Weeknd say hi  

This girlfriend really needs to take it easy. We all know she thinks she is the new "queen of pop" but no one even moved when Sweet But Psycho came out. It's a boring, mediocre pop record. It's okay,

I kind of see it though. The charts were very hip-hop/R&B dominated at the time, even the "pop" songs weren't fully pop. When Sweet But Psycho dropped, everyone was saying how reminiscent of the e

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.