hector

Kim Petras talks about new album and more with VICE magazine

1676618458663-41700012.jpeg?resize=800:*

(...) Now, though, with a new album due out this summer, Petras’s stardom has gone up a level. Just days ahead of our date, she performed at the Brits, and she made headlines at the Grammys a week before that. Her (literally) fiery performance of “Unholy” with Sam Smith at the Grammys was dubbed “Satanic” by conservatives; but it was also the night she made history as the first out trans woman to win a Grammy. For many years, Kim, now 30, seemed somewhat unsure of how central she wanted her trans experience to be in her public image as an artist. As her fame has grown, though, so has her public embrace of her own relationship to queerness—an important thing, no doubt, to the legion of young trans fans who will see in her mainstream success the possibility of being celebrated for their actual talents and interests, rather than defined by their gender identity. Yet on the day of our date, the media and social media in the UK is saturated with the horrifying news of the murder of Brianna Ghey, a trans girl who was just 16. In a community still marked by trauma, Petras seems to have accepted her role as a beacon of hope.

"I have an album that's coming out this summer, and some singles that I'm really, really excited about. I've been working on this album for three years. It's been a transition – wow I’m really good at transitioning. It's been a transition from being an independent artist to being at a major label now. And obviously, life has changed quite a bit since then. I have a wonderful team that really wants me to make my best work. So I'm just excited about people hearing this music – I listen to my own music all the time, it’s so lame, but it’s gonna be really really fun."

Read the full interview here: XXX