Snow

Ed Sheeran recording a posthumous album, to be released after his death

Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran is going to leave a posthumous album in his will.

The 'Bad Habits' hitmaker has revealed he is going to continue adding songs to his final record, which will be released once he's left this world. Speaking to Rolling Stone magazine, he said: “I want to slowly make this album that is quote-unquote ‘perfect’ for the rest of my life, adding songs here and there. And just have it in my will that after I die, it comes out.”

Along the same lines, Sheeran also opened up about some loved ones he’s recently lost, including his longtime friend Jamal Edwards, who died in February 2022 from a heart attack due to cocaine use, and cricket star Shane Warne, another friend who died of a heart attack the next month.

“I felt like I didn’t want to live anymore,” Sheeran said about his grief. “And I have had that throughout my life.… You’re under the waves drowning. You’re just sort of in this thing. And you can’t get out of it.”

Sheeran said he eventually sought out therapy thanks to his wife, Cherry Seaborn. He also credits Edwards’ death with helping him realize he needed to refrain from excessive drug and alcohol use.

“It’s just a realization of, ‘I’m getting into my thirties. Grow up! You’ve partied, you’ve had this experience. Be happy with that and just be done.’ I love red wine, and I love beer. I don’t know any old rockers that aren’t alcoholics or sober, and I didn’t want to be either.”

x

Sheeran also revealed he has FOUR other albums either in the works or done, including a reggaeton-influenced album featuring J Balvin, Burna Boy & Daddy Yankee, and teased future collaborations with Shakira, Pharrell, Justin Bieber.  

Sheeran has five more albums in mind using another category of symbols, one he’s not ready to share, at least on the record.

The singer also revealed that while working with his pal Taylor Swift’s recent collaborator The National’s Aaron Dessner on Subtract, the duo produced enough material for another album.  “It was very quickly seen that we were making two different things,” Sheeran said, adding that he and Dessner then wrote an entire second album together that the producer is mixing right now. “I have no goals for the record. I just want to put it out.”

Sheeran then played some songs from the other albums to Rolling Stone. He starts out by playing an airy ballad, “Magical,” from his second album with Dessner. “This is how it feels to be in love,” he sings. “This is magical.”

Another Dessner song, a likely single, has a bright “Solsbury Hill” feel: “Saturday night is giving me a reason to rely on a strobe light,” he sings, amid more meditations on grief. A third Dessner production is a surging Bruce Springsteen-inspired track called “England.” 

There is, as it turns out, yet another completed album waiting in the wings, a collaboration with reggaeton superstar J Balvin. The album is all ready to go, complete with already-shot videos, but again, with no release date in sight. He plays a track that bridges Afropop and reggaeton, with Burna Boy joining him and Balvin. Another Balvin production is a collaboration with Daddy Yankee, with Sheeran singing a hook between rapped verses; yet another is a slower reggaeton song where Sheeran actually raps in Spanish.

There are collaborations with Pharrell Williams and Shakira as well — turns out Sheeran has been writing for her next album, too, because why not?

Then there’s a collaboration with Benny Blanco, and, oh, yeah, a lighters-up power ballad duet between Sheeran and Justin Bieber, which Sheeran worked on with superproducer Andrew Watt, slated for Bieber’s next album. 

x