poSLAYtions

Kylie Minogue: Mediocrity Aplenty

Hi.

If you haven't heard it already, Kylie had released a new song in collaboration with Oliver Heldens, a DJ, and it's called 10 Out of 10.

A true what the fuck moment to me. What happened here should have been a puzzling mystery to most, but it's really not. Kylie has been doing the most unimpressive music since Into the Blue, the lead single of Kiss Me Once, flopped to oblivion despite it being one of her best songs since the likes of Spinning Around and Can't Get You Out of My Head. I mean, the entirety of the Kiss Me Once album was and still is mediocre. Hell, Golden and Disco combined is a valley of decay aside from rare gems such as Shelby '68, Radio On, Music's Too Sad Without You, and Say Something.

Recently, there has been a leaked information and even a whole song circulating around which claim that she's going to release a new single for a new album. Have I listened to the leaked song? Unfortunately. Did I like it? No. But the rest of the heauxmeaux on the web seems to love it. As usual with Kylie's "Lovers," they've rushed to fill countless forums with chaotic opinions such as "I'm glad she's doing a new sound with P*d*am P*d*am," "honestly her best single in decades," "as excellent as Can't Get You Out of My Head I fear," and "this is good as I've hated her lead singles from the previous albums," leading me to believe that queer men (yes, men) may not deserve rights after all. At least not with takes as shambolic as those.

There's not a question to be asked here. Kylie Minogue, once the icon of pop's most creative invention, rivaling artists like Madonna, Janet Jackson, and even Beyoncé, according to some, has finally come to a conclusive fate: she is the queen of mediocre pop after all.

People acting shocked that Kylie is making shit/basic/generic music will never cease to amaze me.

She has rarely ever put out anything good or great apart from a few singles. 😅😅😅

1 hour ago, Madonna said:

People acting shocked that Kylie is making shit/basic/generic music will never cease to amaze me.

She has rarely ever put out anything good or great apart from a few singles. 😅😅😅

Her Deconstruction albums are good top to bottom. Body Language is good top to bottom. Even Aphrodite is solid. It's not rare for her before, however now it is.

You're like a month too late with 5 out of 10 featuring some guy.

That being said, the new album is said to be very Europop which will not be for everyone. Just like lo-fi snooze fest trap/hip-hop albums are not for everyone.

As far as your OP is concerned, it's definitely laughable to say that Kylie is a mediocre artist when she has been in the industry for over thirty five years and has managed to have a comeback over the years (Light Years in 2000 after a disastrous run with Deconstruction, Fever in 2001, and Aphrodite in 2010 after her battle with cancer, and no, X was not a worthy comeback album, I'd also add DISCO as a comeback album.) 

She and her music aged in a very classy manner. She's turning fifty five already is still making music that she likes and doing collaborations that she likes, at the very least she does not embarrass herself by releasing music featuring SoundCloud rappers. 

Is she a Singles artist? Yes. Is that a bad thing? No.

Spoiler

Music is subjective so you do you. 

Kylie has never stuck with me for some reason, aside from a few singles and cute moments she’s not that interesting to me and some of her albums are like Jlo’s, too much fillers and 1-2 good songs. i still think she was a great pop artist but recently i feel she fell into the Madonna box, just doing stuff for the sake of doing it 

1 hour ago, Disco Darling said:

She and her music aged in a very classy manner. She's turning fifty five already is still making music that she likes and doing collaborations that she likes, at the very least she does not embarrass herself by releasing music featuring SoundCloud rappers. 

Is she a Singles artist? Yes. Is that a bad thing? No.

Hide contents

Music is subjective so you do you. 

I'm curious about it, since it was very specific. Did some of the faves have collabs with SoundCloud rappers?

6 hours ago, Alvarø said:

I'm curious about it, since it was very specific. Did some of the faves have collabs with SoundCloud rappers?

I was just referring to unknown rappers as SouncCloud rappers.  gaga12

6 hours ago, hector said:

Kylie has never stuck with me for some reason, aside from a few singles and cute moments she’s not that interesting to me and some of her albums are like Jlo’s, too much fillers and 1-2 good songs. i still think she was a great pop artist but recently i feel she fell into the Madonna box, just doing stuff for the sake of doing it 

Fell into the Madonna box?

Kylie never released political songs and is very much the contrast of Madonna.

Madonna thrives on controversial music that would be the talk among the public (Erotica, American Life) while Kylie, on the other hand does not try to make music that is not her. She stopped being the alt girl after Impossible Princess and for good reasons.

She's always struck me as: "I'm Kylie these are my Disco-Dance Pop songs, take it or leave it." If that's doing things for the sake of doing things then cool.

1 hour ago, Disco Darling said:

I was just referring to unknown rappers as SouncCloud rappers.  gaga12

Fell into the Madonna box?

Kylie never released political songs and is very much the contrast of Madonna.

Madonna thrives on controversial music that would be the talk among the public (Erotica, American Life) while Kylie, on the other hand does not try to make music that is not her. She stopped being the alt girl after Impossible Princess and for good reasons.

She's always struck me as: "I'm Kylie these are my Disco-Dance Pop songs, take it or leave it." If that's doing things for the sake of doing things then cool.

Most of her music doesn’t really seem to serve a purpose. That’s why people like me (and possibly hector) can't seem to get into her.

There's no depth at all…If that is what she’s aiming to do, good for her. But if we can agree on that, why exactly are people surprised she is not doing any extraordinary or deep music?

I agree she's not the most impressive Pop Star but her music is fun for partiestrue1 I kinda agree it's a bit basic sometimes. I Believe In You, Can't Get You Outta My Head, Slow, Red Blooded Woman, and Wow are my favorite tracks of hers.

3 hours ago, Madonna said:

Most of her music doesn’t really seem to serve a purpose. That’s why people like me (and possibly hector) can't seem to get into her.

There's no depth at all…If that is what she’s aiming to do, good for her. But if we can agree on that, why exactly are people surprised she is not doing any extraordinary or deep music?

Because she has tried with Impossible Princess and it failed? That album was deeply personal and full of musing about her life but it went nowhere. She clearly went back to her Dance route and it worked and still works for her.

Not every artist need to do extraodinary and deep music. We have Christina, Madonna and Taylor for that.

We can all agree that each artists are different in the way they approach music. Maybe Kylie just wants people who listen to her music as a form of escape which everyone needs.

I for one listen to music to escape reality and need no deeply moving songs in my playlist.

5 hours ago, Disco Darling said:

Because she has tried with Impossible Princess and it failed? That album was deeply personal and full of musing about her life but it went nowhere. She clearly went back to her Dance route and it worked and still works for her.

Not every artist need to do extraodinary and deep music. We have Christina, Madonna and Taylor for that.

We can all agree that each artists are different in the way they approach music. Maybe Kylie just wants people who listen to her music as a form of escape which everyone needs.

I for one listen to music to escape reality and need no deeply moving songs in my playlist.

I'm deeply sorry for you in that case. That said, I don’t really think Impossible Princess is that deep. It was just a departure, sonically, from her other stuff.

Regardless of that, the OP complained about Kylie BECOMING mediocre and I think with what you've said and seeing who you listen to, you perfectly agreed with what I have said earlier: She has always been mediocre, cause her music doesn’t have depth. Her album tracks are usually even more mindless and meaningless than her singles.

On 5/12/2023 at 3:21 PM, Madonna said:

I'm deeply sorry for you in that case. That said, I don’t really think Impossible Princess is that deep. It was just a departure, sonically, from her other stuff.

Regardless of that, the OP complained about Kylie BECOMING mediocre and I think with what you've said and seeing who you listen to, you perfectly agreed with what I have said earlier: She has always been mediocre, cause her music doesn’t have depth. Her album tracks are usually even more mindless and meaningless than her singles.

I Don't Need Anyone.mp3 to feel sorry for me because my taste in music gives me comfort. Also, I never agreed with the OP, you just assumed I did. 

As I've said, music is subjective, if you and other people think Kylie's discography is mediocre or whatever, then that's ok because that's how you feel and think about it but for me it's not because her music gives me something to lift my mood up regardless of what the song means or where the song eventually goes as it progresses. It's just a matter of personal preferences. 

No one is forcing anyone to listen to Kylie just like I don't force myself to listen to Madonna since her style of music is not and will never be my cup of tea because it's just too much, but again that is my subjective opinion.

We all like different things. What's mediocre for you may not be mediocre for other people and what you think is creative and full of depth will be mediocre for others. 

Apparently there's another song circulating around called Drum. It's...good! But according to a leaked tracklist it won't be a part of the album. I can't. Between this and the missed opportunity of Lost Without You from Golden, I really wish she could start seeing what sonic direction would give her the advantage of seeming innovative again. Padam Padam is just atrocious.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:49 PM, Shego said:

Most of her stuff the last decades sound demoish, but good to bop sometimes

It's the mastering/mixing. I mean, all of Golden sounds like it's made in a cheap metal tube under a bridge with a busy traffic.

4 hours ago, Urbi said:

Padam Padam literally a MDNA reject 

Yep, the Madonnna AI Cover I made proves that even more true1 It also reminds me of other songs too see

Miley Cyrus - Who Owns My Heart

Selena Gomez - Slow Down

Hilary Duff - Sparks

Demi Lovato - Neon Lights

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People acting shocked that Kylie is making shit/basic/generic music will never cease to amaze me. She has rarely ever put out anything good or great apart from a few singles. 😅😅😅

You're like a month too late with 5 out of 10 featuring some guy.   That being said, the new album is said to be very Europop which will not be for everyone. Just like lo-fi snooze fest trap

Kylie has never stuck with me for some reason, aside from a few singles and cute moments she’s not that interesting to me and some of her albums are like Jlo’s, too much fillers and 1-2 good songs. i

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.