"Musicology"

Rank the following entries from best to worst

(Excluding your own)

Post critiques (Optional)

Spoiler

Marc Anthony - Vivir Mi Vida (Salsa)

Modjo - Lady - Hear Me Tonight (House)

Lily Allen - Smile (Reggae)

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - The Lady is A Tramp (Jazz)

Frank Ocean - Lost (R&B)

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Murder on The Dancefloor (Disco)

Kanye West - Addiction (Rap)

Dolly Parton - Jolene (Country)

Noah Kahah - The View Between Villages (Folk)

Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds (Industrial)

Evanescence - Everybody's Fool (Rock)

Katy Perry - The One That Got Away (Pop)

SPOTIFY LINK

Deadline: February 26th 5PM CST

overall i think most choices are giving creatively bankrupt as the theme is more difficult than it looks and a bunch of these genres were hell. on another note i'm disappointed by a few of the submissions and my rankings should reflect that... but that's for another day.

cry9

Vivir Mi Vida: The way this us actually a great song clap3Haven’t thought about it for a long time but it makes me so happy lol. 

Lady - Hear Me Tonight: Omg another one I haven’t thought about in a WHILE whew. Not the obvious house track and I think that’s why I like it lol. 

Smile: It’s somewhat of a classic I guess. And it does have some reggae vibes to it. It’s alright. 

The Lady Is A Tramp: Its jazz alright! I do think there are way better jazz songs out there but it’s okay. Not the best not the worst. 

Lost: This is new for me. I really like it whewww. Such a nice feat to this all over the place-list. clap3

Murder On The Dancefloor: A very “simple” pick since it’s trending everywhere at the moment lol. Nonetheless a great song I’ve always loved. 

Addiction: I don’t know if this is the best rap song to send kii1 I mean it’s okay I guess. No other thought really. 

Jolene: Another classic. When you think of country you think of this so good job. clap3 Some might think it’s a bit “safe” though. 

The View Between Villages: The way I’ve been streaming Stick Season all year omg. His voice is gorgeous and this song is cute. Not a number one maybe but top for sure. 

The Hand That Feeds: A genre I’m not really familiar with lol. It feels a little messy to me but I’m gonna try to look past the “not my kind of genre” thing lol. 

Everybody’s Fool: Evanescence really got some great songs wow. This is really great as well. A good choice. 

The One That Got Away: Well this is Katy’s best song. Always really liked this one. 

I think we all did good to be honest. No horrible picks. 

Marc Anthony - Vivir Mi Vida: well this isn’t a genre i’m normally interested in at all.. but it’s giving salsa so it’s very on theme! the chorus actually gets pretty catchy after a while.

Modjo - Lady - Hear Me Tonight: oh this classic! it drags on for a little too long though. it’s just the same over and over.. but it’s an easy listen, albeit not an exciting one.

Lily Allen - Smile: it’s a cute song and i hear the reggae influences.. probably not the song i would have chosen for that genre though, it leans more towards pop.

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - The Lady is A Tramp: yeah i don’t like jazz at all rip4 somehow i still like this song a little, it’s kinda fun.

Frank Ocean - Lost: i love Frank!! the song is great as well, one of his best. I like that you didn’t go with the most obvious Frank songs.

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Murder on The Dancefloor: a bop!! not much more to say.. might be one of the «safer» choices but i dont mind. 

Kanye West - Addiction: this was.. okay? I would go with a more hard-hitting song if I got rap, but it’s a chill song ig.. it doesn’t bother me, but it didn’t wow me either.

Dolly Parton - Jolene: i mean.. could you have chosen a more basic country song? but i get it, you had to cater to the crowd and it was probably the best choice to go with for that. It’s the epitome of country and a good song.

Noah Kahah - The View Between Villages: never thought I’d say this about a folk song but it’s really pretty?? his voice is amazing. I especially liked the part before it sped up though.

Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds: well.. i don’t like it. but I get you were given a genre and had to go with it. not really your fault. it’s just too noisy for me? I hate when the instruments sound “gritty” or whatever, not sure how to put it

Evanescence - Everybody's Fool: I was gonna say rip to whoever got rock because rock songs tend to tank here. But I think going with Evanescence was clever and fitting for fotp. I would have picked another song by them though, but it’s not bad. 

Katy Perry - The One That Got Away: getting the pop genre could be a blessing in disguise because it’s so much easier than many of the other genres. I think this is TOO safe of a song for a round like this, even if the song is great. wish you picked a lesser known song and artist.

Marc Anthony - Vivir Mi Vida - I knew the melody was familiar to these ears so I had to look it up and to my surprise this is a cover of a French song that was very big here. I'm not really a fan of that but it's a cute song.

Modjo - Lady - Hear Me Tonight (House) - Kinda one of my all-time favorite songs. This is serotonin in audio form and while it does drag a bit... guess it's part of the charm and I don't mind it one bit.

Lily Allen - Smile - Well... Lily Allen is far from the first artist I think of when I hear the word "reggae". I can kinda understand the idea behind the submission, it's a good song and safe but not safe at the same time. I need more time with it.

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - The Lady is A Tramp - This... exists. Jazz is a broad genre and I would have liked and appreciated to hear something other than Lady Gaga's side gig.

Frank Ocean - Lost - Top 3 for the round for sure, no objections or further comments needed.

Sophie Ellis Bextor - Murder on The Dancefloor - I love the song. Is it a bit of a safe choice especially with how big it became recently? Yes, very much so...

Kanye West - Addiction - This is a submission that makes little sense to me. It's a good song like most early Kanye songs but still.

Dolly Parton - Jolene - A country pioneer and we love to see and hear it. It's a safe choice as far as charts and impact go but that's where my arguments end when a song is that good. 

Noah Kahah - The View Between Villages - Well I liked it! Don't really have much to say as I'm not very familiar with Noah's music other than that hit song of his which I kinda hated so I was surprised to hear something this good coming from him. 

Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds - Industrial is probably the hardest genre of all this round because the options are limited to the point of desperation 🥴 I really really like this entry, I'm a rock chick at heart anyway so no surprises really.

Evanescence - Everybody's Fool - Yea... banger! I have my issues with the intent behind this song as it was clearly written with pop stars in mind by the band's own affirmations and I'm very glad the industry as a whole moved on from that.

Katy Perry - The One That Got Away - With the risk of giving away the fact that my box didn't have this genre, well... this is the laziest choice this round and the one I'm let down by the most by far. As a submission it's giving something that was thought of in three seconds and just that. No purpose or intent were found, just a Katy Perry song and not even a great one at that. So disappointing and definitely at the very bottom of my rankings.

Vivir Mi Vida: didn't expect this to be a cover, help... it's a nice choice though, definitely a unique choice for salsa and the arrangement is pretty good!

Lady (Hear Me Tonight): another unique choice when it comes to house music, i definitely think of songs like "Show Me Love" or "100% Pure Love" so i appreciate going a different route (though like most dance songs it's kinda repetitive but that's the genre for u mostly i guess)

Smile: oh... okay, this is some sort of reggae bebe1a real classic, but i'll need to consider it since idk how reggae it is... glad it's not Man Down honestly

The Lady is A Tramp: i don't mean to sound harsh, but out of all the jazz songs out there you picked a lady gaga / tony bennett duet... okay...

Lost: truly one of the best modern day R&B songs, changed the game, had Chris Brown fuming, sent Frank into retirement... no notes, perfect pick! kii1

Murder on The Dancefloor: once again like with jazz... from such a big variety this genre offers, to send a viral songs from 2001 is giving lazy a bit sorry... it's a good song though and still a better choice than the Gaga duet

Addiction: a kanye song... enough said

Jolene: first time i listened to this song was Miley's cover (and forever thought it's her original song pls) anyway im kinda torn, this is not really THEE most obvious choice but it kinda is for a pop culture-interested person... i wasn't sure where to place it, i'll decide this last minute i guess dead1

The View Between Villages: i'm not a huge fan of him, but i can see the appeal and this song is quite pretty... love the vibes, i listened to it a few times before

The Hand That Feeds: whoever got this genre god bless ur soul cause idk how you try to make industrial appealing to a bunch of pop-loving people dead2 i guess this is an attempt at that, it's somewhat enjoyable i guess

Everybody's Fool: i only know like 2 songs from Evanescence and this... not my favorite, the lyrics are okay but idk it just doesn't connect with me

The One That Got Away: see disco / jazz / rap: all this variety in the genre and you pick one of katy's most Okay songs... maybe the person who sent it has a special connection with it or smt, but i truly don't like this choice... sorry...