Dennis Reynolds

President Biden signs law to ban TikTok nationwide unless it is sold

President Biden on Wednesday signed a law that would ban Chinese-owned TikTok unless it is sold within a year. 

It is the most serious threat yet to the video-streaming app's future in the U.S., intensifying America's tech war with China. 

Still, the law is not expected to cause any immediate disruption to TikTok, as a forthcoming legal challenge, and various hurdles to selling the app, will most likely cause months of delay. 

The measure was tucked into a bill providing foreign aid for Israel, Ukraine and Taiwan. The law stipulates that ByteDance must sell its stake in TikTok in 12 months under the threat of being shut down.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/24/1246663779/biden-ban-tiktok-us

5 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Are they trying to lose the Gen Z vote in November? nicki5 

i think both sides are looking to ban it nicki5 

8 hours ago, Chris said:

i think both sides are looking to ban it nicki5 

Trump did but backed off on it. Regardless, I don’t think Biden is going to have young voters outright vote against him as much as they just might stay home/not vote at all if he keeps alienating them nicki5