Princess Aurora

Lily Allen: "Nepo baby is a term exclusively used for women, like Karen"

"Nepo babies, I think it's quite like 'Karen', in the sense that it's just a word that is basically used for women who are taking up space, and we'd rather they didn't, and they should just go away," the "**** You" singer said on her Miss Me podcast.

Allen, 39, is the daughter of British actor Keith Allen. Her brother Alfie is also an actor, best known for his work on Game of Thrones. "My brother, for instance, doesn't get called nepo baby, and I do," Allen continued this week.

Allen elaborated that the "infantilizing nature" of the term "baby" is "something that is almost exclusively used for women," adding, "I don't think I can even really name any male nepo babies."

Nevertheless, she said, it's her observed male-female difference that is most annoying. "I feel like a lot of the time over the past 15, 20 years when I've been written about it will always say 'Lily Allen, daughter of Keith Allen' and I don't see that happening with boys as often as it does with girls," she said.

Allen added that she thinks the dissonance comes from audiences seeking an explanation for "what it really was that put" famous women on the map, whereas male fame seems already acceptable.

She's got a bit of a point. I have only ever seen it used for women but it could be that it’s just my bubble.

Karen is mostly used for women, true. However, that is mostly because "white women calling authorities on black men because they feel threatened by their presence" kinda doesn’t work for men and it’s a practice that dates back to the segregation era or even slavery. Instead, white men usually tend to pull out a gun and just shoot the guy. 🙃 See: George Zimmerman etc.

I've seen this used on both men and women. Maybe it has been used more on women (kinda like industry plants) but i've seen instances where the term has been used on multiple people. Her complaining just sounds like rich people problems 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Nepo babies, I think it's quite like 'Karen', in the sense that it's just a word that is basically used for women who are taking up space, and we'd rather they didn't, and they should just go away,"

ive only ever heard it used for men  

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.