LÉON

ABBA

Okay so the old thread hasn't been updated since 2015 and has since been closed so I figured I'd open a new one mad1 

And now there is more of a reason for this other than just me bopping to ABBA nonstop for the past week. 

If you didn't know they are working on a Mamma Mia sequel film to come out in July of next year. So I figured fellow ABBA stans could discuss what songs we'd like to see in it. Whatever your thoughts on the sequel itself are I'm extremely excited. I think that a lot of ABBA's less popular music is some of their better work. I would love to see the movie utilize some of ABBA's darker work. And despite the first film and musical using most of their hits/nostalgic songs I still think there's a lot of songs left that could be great if used. So yeah if you want to discuss that I'd love to get into it with y'all gaycat1 

Also, I'd kinda love to do an ABBA rate or like that battle thing where songs are pitted against each other and you pick one of the two in all the different rounds. ABBA has so much music though it would take forever lmao. So yeah vote in the poll if you'd be interested in some kind of an ABBA rate moo1 

And to get conversation going we can all list our favorite ABBA songs/albums demi1 

2 minutes ago, Rachel Berry said:

Hello I have arrived! Wait so The Mamma Mia! sequel is real? I thought it was a joke. rip2 

No it's legit. It'll probably be a mess but I'm excited nonetheless just because it's already a guarantee the music will be good no matter what cause ABBA doesn't have many bad songs and like they obviously wouldn't choose them. 

Idk what the story will be like though lol. And like it could get scrapped. I mean it's over a year away but yeah

2 minutes ago, CHANEL #1 said:

No it's legit. It'll probably be a mess but I'm excited nonetheless just because it's already a guarantee the music will be good no matter what cause ABBA doesn't have many bad songs and like they obviously wouldn't choose them. 

Idk what the story will be like though lol. And like it could get scrapped. I mean it's over a year away but yeah

I just looked it up, apparently the entire original cast is set to return. I'm looking forward to seeing this. Yeah regardless if the storyline blows or not, the music is going to be good regardless. I have faith with whatever songs Benny and Bjorn pick to include in the sequel.

I'm now waiting for next summer to come around evening though this one hasn't ended yet. rip2

6 minutes ago, Rachel Berry said:

I just looked it up, apparently the entire original cast is set to return. I'm looking forward to seeing this. Yeah regardless if the storyline blows or not, the music is going to be good regardless. I have faith with whatever songs Benny and Bjorn pick to include in the sequel.

I'm now waiting for next summer to come around evening though this one hasn't ended yet. rip2

I would love for the story to focus on Donna before Sophie. Like show her life and fling with all three of Sophie's "dads" before Sophie happened rip2 

It might be a mess but it would be fun. Not sure how it would work cause all the original actors are older than the characters they'd be playing in that scenario but there's always makeup I guess fall4 

12 hours ago, CHANEL #1 said:

I would love for the story to focus on Donna before Sophie. Like show her life and fling with all three of Sophie's "dads" before Sophie happened rip2 

It might be a mess but it would be fun. Not sure how it would work cause all the original actors are older than the characters they'd be playing in that scenario but there's always makeup I guess fall4 

I could see that working! I could see it opening with Donna reading her journal that she used to write on and having flashbacks of how she met each of Sophie's "dad'.

That would be the tricky part since they're all older and the characters are suppose to be younger. Make-up and specials effects would do wonders. rip2

Just now, Rachel Berry said:

I could see that working! I could see it opening with Donna reading her journal that she used to write on and having flashbacks of how she met each of Sophie's "dad'.

That would be the tricky part since they're all older and the characters are suppose to be younger. Make-up and specials effects would do wonders. rip2

And it would allow them to use more songs like in terms of making them fit and they'd have three separate little storylines to do musical numbers for

So I was bored and decided to put together a setlist for the movie as well as a basic plot rip2 

In total there's 19 tracks but they wouldn't all be performed in full like how some weren't in the first movie. Also some songs from the first film are reprised as the director said that a couple would be. Three songs from the actual movie are reprised and then Waterloo will actually have a performance scene as opposed to just being in the credits. 

I think I'll put the setlist first and then go into the plot. I'm biased cause a lot of these are my top favorite ABBA songs but I think this would work really well. Some could obviously be cut though. 

SETLIST

Spoiler

Opening:
1. Mamma Mia (All)
2. I Do I Do I Do I Do (Reprise) [Donna, Sam, Tanya, Rosie, Bill and Harry]
3. Fernando (Sophie & Sky / Donna & Sam)

Sophie & Sky:
4. Head Over Heels (Sophie)
5. Two For The Price Of One (Sky)

Leaving Greece & Donna Reminisces:
6. I Wonder (Departure) [Donna]

Donna & Bill:
7. Cassandra (Donna)
8. Rock Me (Bill & Donna)

Return to Sophie and Sky:
9. Under Attack (Sophie)
10. Dance (While The Music Still Goes On) [Sophie & Sky]

Donna & Harry:
11. Angel Eyes (Donna)
12. Knowing Me, Knowing You (Donna & Harry)

Back In Greece:
13. When I Kissed The Teacher (Rosie and Tanya)

Donna & Sam:
14. Ring Ring (Sam)
15. Summer Night City (Donna & Sam)
16. One Of Us (Donna)

Closing:
17. Dancing Queen (Stripped) [Donna & Sophie]
18. Eagle (Donna)
19. Waterloo (All)

PLOT

Spoiler

Opening:
Okay so the film opens showing the island. The first song is a reprise of Mamma Mia sung in the beginning by all the islanders. Then we see the hotel up and running and successful. We see all the characters around the hotel singing along (bar Sophie and Sky). After the songs climax everything returns to normal. Later on that night Donna, Sam, Tanya, Rosie, Bill and Harry are all eating dinner and Donna looks at pictures of her and Sam's wedding. She reminisces and they all reprise I Do I Do I Do I Do. Everyone retires to their rooms and we flash to Sophie and Sky who are in Spain on their "honeymoon". They are on their balcony of their hotel room looking at the stars. They being singing Fernando as a duet. Then it flashed back to Greece and we see parallel scenes of Donna and Sam on their balcony singing Fernando from where Sophie and Sky left off. Then the screen is split as we see the two couple finish the song together. 

Sophie & Sky:
Now we are back to Sophie and Sky as they retire to bed. This is probably the raciest scene in the entire movie. Kinda similar to the Lay All Your Love On Me scene. Sophie confidently models for Sky and slinks around their room. Obviously there isn't any intense sex scene shown but the two of them do choreography on the bed. This all happens while Sophie sings Head Over Heels. The next day we see Sophie and Sky walking through the streets of Spain. He starts singing Two For The Price Of One while he holds Sophie's hands and pulls her through the streets of Spain they kinda run and dance through them. They're not in a super touristy area so it's not totally weird lol. 

Back in Greece we see a scene of Sam asking Donna about if she'd ever leave Greece with him to see the world, not necessarily for forever but before they're too old to do so. Donna wanders around the hotel and island as she wonders if she can take the chance and do that with Sam. She sings I Wonder (Departure) over these scenes. The next morning we see Donna, Tanya and Rosie eating around a table. Rosie and Tanya ask about the diary that Sophie found that started the first film. They beg Donna to share it with them and she finally caves. This triggers the flashback sections of the film. 

Donna & Bill:
This is the first of the three flashback segments in the film. This section shows the relationship and life of young Donna and Bill. Donna performs Cassandra in this section and both Bill and Donna end the segment with a performance of Rock Me.

We are now back in present time with Sophie and Sky in some other random location a couple weeks later. We see Sophie crying in their hotel bathroom. The camera pans down and we see a positive pregnancy test. A song from the musical version of Mamma Mia is now reprised. Sophie doesn't know what to do. Her and Sky called off the wedding to travel and now she's pregnant (obviously the result of the Head Over Heels performance oops). She sings Under attack during this scene. Afterwards she has to tell Sky. She does and after his initial shock he takes her hands and tells her that this is what he wanted. Not a kid necessarily but for their life to be unpredictable. He says that they'll be okay though and that he's thrilled and this will be great for them. He starts singing Dance (While The Music Still Goes On). Sophie eventually joins and they finish the song together. 

Donna & Harry:
We now see Donna, Rosie and Tanya again. They're again going through the diary and now reading about Donna and Harry. We thus have the second flashback scene. Though the scenes of young Donna and Harry's relationship Angel is performed by Donna and then both Harry and Donna perform Knowing Me, Knowing You.

Back In Greece:
Now we return to present day Greece. We see everyone sitting in a lounge. Sophie and Sky have returned. They're super tired but everyone encourages them to stay in the lounge with everyone. Sophie and Sky are clearly stressed not having told anyone about the pregnancy. Rosie and Tanya can sense the group needs some lighthearted fun so they perform a cheeky rendition of When I Kissed The Teacher. 

Donna & Sam:
The next day Donna, Tanya and Rosie are sitting tighter again joined this time by Sophie. They finally have made it to the sections of the diary about Donna and Sam. We enter the films final flashback scenes. There are three songs in the following scenes. Sam performs Ring Ring. Donna and Sam duet through either Summer Night City or Lovelight. However, the flashback scenes end with their falling out. Donna performs One of Us, a song from the musical but not in the first film. It becomes this movie's Winner Takes It All.

Closing:
The final scenes of the movie start as we see Sophie entering Donna's bedroom. She finally tells her mom about her pregnancy and how she's scared. This scene parallels the Slipping Through My Fingers scene from the first film. Donna holds Sophie in her arms and sings a stripped back version of Dancing Queen to her daughter. Donna then confesses to Sophie about Sam's wishes to leave Greece for some time. Sophie encourages her. Sophie wants to stay in Greece with Sky during the pregnancy and she says they'll watch the hotel. Donna hugs her daughter. Donna goes to Sam and tells him she's decided that she'll leave Greece with him and travel for a while. As long as they can be back for the birth of Sophie's baby. He's ecstatic. We later see Donna walking along the beach. She sings Eagle as she comes to term with the fact that she'll be leaving the home she's known for so long now. The film ends with Donna and Sam's going away party. Sophie and Sky also announce the pregnancy. The film ends with the entire cast dancing and singing Waterloo. It was only used int he credits of the first film. It's fitting as every character is kind of facing their life and not trying to run or deny anything. They're all embracing life. The films ends with a joyous group performance of the song that really started everything for ABBA when it won Eurovision for them.

I can't believe I did all this dead2 @Rachel Berry 

1 hour ago, CHANEL #1 said:

So I was bored and decided to put together a setlist for the movie as well as a basic plot rip2 

In total there's 19 tracks but they wouldn't all be performed in full like how some weren't in the first movie. Also some songs from the first film are reprised as the director said that a couple would be. Three songs from the actual movie are reprised and then Waterloo will actually have a performance scene as opposed to just being in the credits. 

I think I'll put the setlist first and then go into the plot. I'm biased cause a lot of these are my top favorite ABBA songs but I think this would work really well. Some could obviously be cut though. 

SETLIST

Hide contents

Opening:
1. Mamma Mia (All)
2. I Do I Do I Do I Do (Reprise) [Donna, Sam, Tanya, Rosie, Bill and Harry]
3. Fernando (Sophie & Sky / Donna & Sam)

Sophie & Sky:
4. Head Over Heels (Sophie)
5. Two For The Price Of One (Sky)

6. I Wonder (Departure) [Donna]

Donna & Bill:
7. Cassandra (Donna)
8. Rock Me (Bill & Donna)

9. Under Attack (Sophie)
10. Dance (While The Music Still Goes On) [Sophie & Sky]

Donna & Harry:
11. Angel Eyes (Donna)
12. Knowing Me, Knowing You (Donna & Harry)

Back In Greece:
13. When I Kissed The Teacher (Rosie and Tanya)

Donna & Sam:
14. Ring Ring (Sam)
15. Summer Night City (Donna & Sam)
16. One Of Us (Donna)

Closing:
17. Dancing Queen (Stripped) [Donna & Sophie]
18. Eagle (Donna)
19. Waterloo (All)

PLOT

Reveal hidden contents

Opening:
Okay so the film opens showing the island. The first song is a reprise of Mamma Mia sung in the beginning by all the islanders. Then we see the hotel up and running and successful. We see all the characters around the hotel singing along (bar Sophie and Sky). After the songs climax everything returns to normal. Later on that night Donna, Sam, Tanya, Rosie, Bill and Harry are all eating dinner and Donna looks at pictures of her and Sam's wedding. She reminisces and they all reprise I Do I Do I Do I Do. Everyone retires to their rooms and we flash to Sophie and Sky who are in Spain on their "honeymoon". They are on their balcony of their hotel room looking at the stars. They being singing Fernando as a duet. Then it flashed back to Greece and we see parallel scenes of Donna and Sam on their balcony singing Fernando from where Sophie and Sky left off. Then the screen is split as we see the two couple finish the song together. 

Sophie & Sky:
Now we are back to Sophie and Sky as they retire to bed. This is probably the raciest scene in the entire movie. Kinda similar to the Lay All Your Love On Me scene. Sophie confidently models for Sky and slinks around their room. Obviously there isn't any intense sex scene shown but the two of them do choreography on the bed. This all happens while Sophie sings Head Over Heels. The next day we see Sophie and Sky walking through the streets of Spain. He starts singing Two For The Price Of One while he holds Sophie's hands and pulls her through the streets of Spain they kinda run and dance through them. They're not in a super touristy area so it's not totally weird lol. 

Back in Greece we see a scene of Sam asking Donna about if she'd ever leave Greece with him to see the world, not necessarily for forever but before they're too old to do so. Donna wanders around the hotel and island as she wonders if she can take the chance and do that with Sam. She sings I Wonder (Departure) over these scenes. The next morning we see Donna, Tanya and Rosie eating around a table. Rosie and Tanya ask about the diary that Sophie found that started the first film. They beg Donna to share it with them and she finally caves. This triggers the flashback sections of the film. 

Donna & Bill:
This is the first of the three flashback segments in the film. This section shows the relationship and life of young Donna and Bill. Donna performs Cassandra in this section and both Bill and Donna end the segment with a performance of Rock Me.

We are now back in present time with Sophie and Sky in some other random location a couple weeks later. We see Sophie crying in their hotel bathroom. The camera pans down and we see a positive pregnancy test. A song from the musical version of Mamma Mia is now reprised. Sophie doesn't know what to do. Her and Sky called off the wedding to travel and now she's pregnant (obviously the result of the Head Over Heels performance oops). She sings Under attack during this scene. Afterwards she has to tell Sky. She does and after his initial shock he takes her hands and tells her that this is what he wanted. Not a kid necessarily but for their life to be unpredictable. He says that they'll be okay though and that he's thrilled and this will be great for them. He starts singing Dance (While The Music Still Goes On). Sophie eventually joins and they finish the song together. 

Donna & Harry:
We now see Donna, Rosie and Tanya again. They're again going through the diary and now reading about Donna and Harry. We thus have the second flashback scene. Though the scenes of young Donna and Harry's relationship Angel is performed by Donna and then both Harry and Donna perform Knowing Me, Knowing You.

Back In Greece:
Now we return to present day Greece. We see everyone sitting in a lounge. Sophie and Sky have returned. They're super tired but everyone encourages them to stay in the lounge with everyone. Sophie and Sky are clearly stressed not having told anyone about the pregnancy. Rosie and Tanya can sense the group needs some lighthearted fun so they perform a cheeky rendition of When I Kissed The Teacher. 

Donna & Sam:
The next day Donna, Tanya and Rosie are sitting tighter again joined this time by Sophie. They finally have made it to the sections of the diary about Donna and Sam. We enter the films final flashback scenes. There are three songs in the following scenes. Sam performs Ring Ring. Donna and Sam duet through either Summer Night City or Lovelight. However, the flashback scenes end with their falling out. Donna performs One of Us, a song from the musical but not in the first film. It becomes this movie's Winner Takes It All.

Closing:
The final scenes of the movie start as we see Sophie entering Donna's bedroom. She finally tells her mom about her pregnancy and how she's scared. This scene parallels the Slipping Through My Fingers scene from the first film. Donna holds Sophie in her arms and sings a stripped back version of Dancing Queen to her daughter. Donna then confesses to Sophie about Sam's wishes to leave Greece for some time. Sophie encourages her. Sophie wants to stay in Greece with Sky during the pregnancy and she says they'll watch the hotel. Donna hugs her daughter. Donna goes to Sam and tells him she's decided that she'll leave Greece with him and travel for a while. As long as they can be back for the birth of Sophie's baby. He's ecstatic. We later see Donna walking along the beach. She sings Eagle as she comes to term with the fact that she'll be leaving the home she's known for so long now. The film ends with Donna and Sam's going away party. Sophie and Sky also announce the pregnancy. The film ends with the entire cast dancing and singing Waterloo. It was only used int he credits of the first film. It's fitting as every character is kind of facing their life and not trying to run or deny anything. They're all embracing life. The films ends with a joyous group performance of the song that really started everything for ABBA when it won Eurovision for them.

I can't believe I did all this dead2 @Rachel Berry 

Oh my God. rip3

I was actually wondering earlier today if they where going to incorporate any songs from the first movie into the sequel. I would imagine they do, especially the title track.

I really dig the set list though! I would probably add 'She's My Kind Of Girl' as a duet between Sam and Bill and some more songs for the guys. But that's just me. rip2 Overall I really liked the plot!