Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Is disciplining your child with violence acceptable?

Vote  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Vote

• Summertime Sadness
    • California Gurls
    • La Isla Bonita
    • California King Bed
    • Roar
    • Hips Don't Lie

Something being bad or wrong is completely subjective. If you spank your kids for doing something you deem as being bad or wrong, then they'll think it's okay to get physical with someone else over doing something that they deem bad or wrong. And there is so much more you can do to discipline a child after telling them they are wrong, and taking away their stuff; time outs, grounding etc.

And I never said kids that were spanked didn't respect their parents. I'm just saying that there is a very fine line between respect and fear, and lot of people here think the line is blurred.

I'm really no expert on this matter but my sister has worked with children for around 10 years and is currently finishing her studies on children and like the development and all that (don't exactly know what it's called in English) in a university. I asked her about this and she pretty much said the same thing as you. When their "physical sanctity" is violated, they do not learn to respect other people's "physical sanctity" and might, as you said, "get physical with someone else over doing something that they deem bad or wrong".

I was "disciplined" as a child and I turned out pretty good. ny7.gif' alt='ny6'>

I am not in jail (yet), I haven't commited any major crimes, never did any drugs, didn't have a kid at 14...

I am a firm believer in disciplining your children, not BEATING, not leaving marks, not leaving bruise, etc. Popping a kid on the hand or butt won't hurt them, it shows them who's the boss and teaches them to respect you and to listen because you know more because you've experienced everything they haven't yet.

Mikey, we've discussed this together before. antm1 Loves it.

WHIP THAT CHILES ASS! ny2

I think it is always necessary to discipline your child so they turn out complete trash ( not in all cases but most of them) altough i still count myself as a child. Disciplining not in the form of physical assault but more of restrictions and house chores.

put it like this

Discipline = spanking, slapping, ruffing up

Abuse= kicking, punching or something leaving a mark or long time pain

ps your child will not be on oprah talking about they were spanked at 10 and thats why there life is so fucked up

put it like this

Discipline = spanking, slapping, ruffing up

Abuse= kicking, punching or something leaving a mark or long time pain

ps your child will not be on oprah talking about they were spanked at 10 and thats why there life is so fucked up

tumblr_ljt7mbXQQE1qbzvxe.gif

Guest Salem
Not here for child abusers +arrow+

I agree, and one being sexual abuse on children is the worst one of all.

this is such a heated debate lol, i won't go into full but i'm not against hitting a child to discipline them.. but i'm also not with it.

nowadays there is kinda more better, effective & original ways like.. turning off their electric, taking their phone, removing their facebook, changing the wifi password..

to add on -

i know alot of kids who have everything but have never gotten beaten before in their life & they are complete snobs & have no respect for their parents.

i also know ones who have gotten beaten during their childhood & have continued to do the same things they were beaten for.

i also know kids who HAVE gotten beaten pretty bad & have resorted to drugs & bad decisions later on in life.

Theres a difference between discipline and abuse i think... people who publicly humiliate their kids or w/e shouldnt be parents. Ive had my fair share of slaps in my childhood and i have an above average sense of right and wrong, no problem ny7.gif' alt='ny6'>

No, any kind of violence is nacceptable, if u show to your child that violence is the way to deal with things, he could use it on others, and there's way do deal with everyhting kids can do. Of my parents were able not to use it on me, and I was pretty wild child, everyone can..fall4

I said only in extreme circumstances. But personally I would like to think I'd never have to, and see better ways of punishment that are more effective and not physical.

Theres a difference between discipline and abuse i think... people who publicly humiliate their kids or w/e shouldnt be parents. Ive had my fair share of slaps in my childhood and i have an above average sense of right and wrong, no problem ny7.gif' alt='ny6'>

Says the guy who gets drunk by himself every night sass1

childcare degree here

no is the answer

we call it the punish or reward system

children tend to learn sooo much quiker with a reward system

+ if you punish a child violence is not the answer , putting them in the corner for a short amount of time works just as fine.

If you got so far that you think of actually hitting your kid to discipline him then you already are doing bad parenting xtina1

Never, for a multitude of reasons. One, when you hit your child, you're instilling the moral of, "If you're being disrespected or not getting what you want, you may hit that person," which isn't right. If you're someone's boss and they are being rude to you and yelling, its not acceptable to hit them (unless they start a fist fight with you, which is a completely different story). It's negative and does nothing but put fear in your child. Your child should love and respect you, not fear and resent you. All the people I know my age that were hit a lot as children have strained relationships with their parents because they don't respect them. They also say that when they were hit, it didn't stop them, they just yelled more or hit back. My parents never hit me, and my mother felt very strongly about it because I was in an abusive situation with my stepmother for many years.

However, children DO need firm discipline. I believe the reason kids are so out of control and awful today is because they're being raised by parents who were hit as kids, and don't know how to discipline their child. You can instill authority without raising your hand. There are a lot of different methods and books out there about it that really do work.

Yes.

Because society has stopped doing it, and now the future generation (including my own Brother and Sister who I love dearly) are growing up to be spoiled brats.

Children, like with any other animal, only respond to physical discipline. You aren't going to injure your child if you give them a light smack. There is a difference between child abuse and physical discipline.

Never, for a multitude of reasons. One, when you hit your child, you're instilling the moral of, "If you're being disrespected or not getting what you want, you may hit that person," which isn't right. If you're someone's boss and they are being rude to you and yelling, its not acceptable to hit them (unless they start a fist fight with you, which is a completely different story). It's negative and does nothing but put fear in your child. Your child should love and respect you, not fear and resent you. All the people I know my age that were hit a lot as children have strained relationships with their parents because they don't respect them. They also say that when they were hit, it didn't stop them, they just yelled more or hit back. My parents never hit me, and my mother felt very strongly about it because I was in an abusive situation with my stepmother for many years.

However, children DO need firm discipline. I believe the reason kids are so out of control and awful today is because they're being raised by parents who were hit as kids, and don't know how to discipline their child. You can instill authority without raising your hand. There are a lot of different methods and books out there about it that really do work.

That's like saying one size fits all xtina1 It's programmed in our brains, just like any other Animal, to respond to physical contact whether it's good or bad.

You don't have in injure your child in order to get it through. Kids can be smacked without it hurting them. It's the action that teaches them. Studies have shown although kids can be slightly more violent if they are smacked, they grow up happier and with a healthier spirit. It's also shown a good majority of people who suffer depression and commit suicide weren't shown physical discipline as a child. It's needed as much as physical affirmation. They go hand in hand.

I'd rather them live a longer and happier life, then to avoid a few smacks that if done properly, won't hurt him.

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.