Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ajp

Carly Rae Jepsen | E•MO•TION | June 24, 2015

Often very secretive about what she is up to in the studio, Carly Rae did something she doesn't often do. She tweeted not once but twice yesterday about her and Tavish working in a Studio in Barcelona on a new song.

Carly Rae Jepsen ‏@carlyraejepsen

Studio day in Barcelona! Working with @iambharv and @tavishcrowe on a newbie. Yay!!!

and

Carly Rae Jepsen ‏@carlyraejepsen

Studio!!!! http://instagr.am/p/W4nznmKVgE/

{image now deleted}

BHarv tweeted this:

{image now deleted}

BHarv is Bernard Harvey - bassist for the Justin Bieber Tour and producer on 4 of Bieber's songs:

-Under the Mistletoe

-Happy New Years

-Just Like Them

-Fairytale

A new era is beginning and the Kiss era is coming to an end. bummer1 So, it looks as if Tonight I'm Getting Over You will be the 4th and last single from Kiss. She is wasting no time.

It is nice to see that she is still co-writing with Tavish. Perhaps this next album will be more like her Curiosity EP and less over-produced like Kiss was.

Edit: December18, 2014

Interscope has announced her next single will be called "I Really Like You" - which should be sent to radio early 2015.

Also, on Twitter, she hinted that her album should be out at Easter (April 2015).

SANTA MONICA, Calif., March 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Multi-platinum, GRAMMY-nominated singer-songwriter Carly Rae Jepsen premieres her brand-new single "I Really Like You" with a performance on ABC's Good Morning America today. The song is now available for purchase HERE or streaming HERE worldwide from all digital partners. Jepsen wrote the track with J. Kash and The Cardigans' Peter Svensson, who also produced it. The '80s-inspired "I Really Like You" is the first single from Jepsen's upcoming second album, which will be released by Schoolboy Records/Interscope this summer. Check out the song HERE. Jepsen will also perform "I Really Like You" on Jimmy Kimmel Live! on March 5th on ABC.

"Peter Svensson wrote one of my all-time favorite songs, 'Lovefool,' and working with him made me rediscover the joy of writing something that's just pure pop," Jepsen says. "Lyrically, it's about that time in a relationship when it's too soon to say 'I love you,' but you're well past, 'I like you' and you're at the 'I really, really like you' stage."

Jepsen shot the video for "I Really Like You" last week in New York City with Tom Hanks. Her Schoolboy Records label-mate Justin Bieber also makes a cameo. The video premiere will be announced soon.

The global pop sensation has been hard at work with such collaborators as Rami Yacoub (One Direction, Nicki Minaj), Dev Hynes (Blood Orange), Jack Antonoff (fun., Taylor Swift), Ariel Rechtshaid (Charli XCX, Haim), Tegan and Sara, Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij, Greg Kurstin (Sia) and 2015 Grammy winning Producer of the Year Max Martin, writing and recording the songs that will appear on the follow-up to her U.S. debut album Kiss, which featured her blockbuster break-out hit "Call Me Maybe." "Call Me Maybe" climbed to No. 1 on the iTunes Singles charts in over 47 countries and has sold over 17 million singles worldwide to date. It earned Jepsen 2012 GRAMMY nominations for Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year. Kiss also spawned the follow up hit "Good Time," a duet with Owl City, which has been certified double-platinum. Jepsen spent much of 2014 starring in the Broadway production of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, earning rave reviews.

Edit: March 3/15 it has been announced that the UK will get I Really Like You on April 26.

Edit: March 5/15

Rumoured Tracks on album:

1. All That

2. The One

3. I Really Like You

4. Black Heart (mentioned on Twitter)

5. Boy Problems - with Sia and Greg Kurstin (mentioned on twitter)

6. Warm Blood (announced via Twitter)

7. Run Away With Me (sang LIVE)

8. Emotion (sang LIVE)

9. Your Type (sang LIVE)

10. Gimmie Love (sang LIVE)

Edit May 26/15 rumoured "Fake Track List" trolling the net:

Black Light | Carly Rae Jepsen, Tobias Gad, Samantha J Ronson

Body Talk | Carly Rae Jepsen, Tobias Gad

Angels

Came Here to Dance | Carly Rae Jepsen, Jose Luis Cruz, Agostino “Tino” Zolfo

Dark Blue | Carly Rae Jepsen, Lauren Christy, Andre Lidell

You

Hey Boy

Falling for You | Carly Rae Jepsen, Jose Luis Cruz, Agostino “Tino” Zolfo

I Admit That There Was Music | Carly Rae Jepsen, Lauren Christy, Chad Kroeger, Andre Lidell

Martyr | Carly Rae Jepsen, Travish Joseph Crowe, Joshua Keller Ramsay

Never Wanna Get Kissed Again

Small Town In Me | Carly Rae Jepsen, Jonathan David Hetherington, Troy Bustos Samson

Play It On Repeat | Carly Rae Jepsen, Michael Anthony James, Davor Vulama

Edit June 2/15 CRJ posted the deluxe track listing on Facebook

{Facebook post now deleted}

Edit June 3/15 Japan iTunes Bonus Track - IRLY Liam Keegan Remix.

http://youtu.be/45hss7t9yeA

Edit March 6/15 Time Magazine Online:

Musically, the new record further explores the 1980s pop sound Jepsen only touched on with Kiss — as if fans couldn’t tell from the retro drum beat pumping underneath “I Really Like You.” Jepsen was inspired to pursue that direction after catching a Cyndi Lauper concert in Japan, and she compares “All That,” a joint Hynes and Rechtshaid collaboration that she calls one of her favorites, to classic Prince. Jepsen estimates she’s worked on more than 250 songs for the album, and she’s planning on whittling her top 22 down to a lean 11 in the coming days.

Edit April 4/15 performed on Saturday Night Live - “I Really Like You” and promo single “All That”

http://youtu.be/W374tWnsk70

Edit April 10/15

Carly Rae Jepsen tweeted:

I've been working on new music for awhile now... happy to finally announce that my sophomore album "E•MO•TION" will be out this summer!

Standard:

R-7488054-1444457483-3048.jpeg.jpg

Deluxe:

R-7378219-1440192049-7283.jpeg.jpg

Edit: April 26/15

HMV Japan posts the album for pre-order. Release date in Japan is June 24/15.

Edit: June 11/15

Carly Rae Jepsen tweeted out the release date for North America: August 21, 2015

Official Press Release:

SANTA MONICA, Calif., June 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Multi-platinum, GRAMMY-nominated singer-songwriter Carly Rae Jepsen will release her new album, E·MO·TION via Schoolboy Records/Interscope on August 21st in the U.S. The album will be available for pre-order from all retailers beginning June 23rd. Those who pre-order will receive instant downloads of "I Really Like You," "All That," and the title track, "Emotion." Fans will also be able to purchase the album as part of exclusive bundles that include special art prints, t-shirt designs and more.

Jepsen has also announced her new single "Run Away With Me" will be out in July with a video to follow soon. On August 21st, Jepsen will perform "Run Away With Me," on The TODAY Show Summer Concert Series on NBC. She has recently performed on Good Morning America, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Saturday Night Live, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and Dancing With The Stars.

Jepsen performed her global Top 40 hit "I Really Like You" and Pitchfork's "Best New Track" "All That" on Saturday Night Live in April. The former earned the Canadian singer and songwriter a host of positive reviews with SPIN calling it "upbeat, frothy, and carefree," PEOPLE deeming it an "instant classic" and BuzzFeed declaring it "completely perfect…pop perfection." NYLON noted that Jepsen is "quickly becoming pop music's unlikeliest cool kid," while BlackBook praises her "true unmistakable talent," and PAPER proclaims "Carly Rae Jepsen returns triumphant."

E•MO•TION was recorded and produced in Los Angeles, New York, and Stockholm. Jepsen co-wrote the album with with several A-list producers and co-writers, including Sia, Greg Kurstin (Kelly Clarkson "Stronger"), Peter Svensson (Cardigans, and Ariana Grande "Love Me Harder"), Ariel Rechtshaid (Haim, Madonna, Vampire Weekend, Major Lazer), Mattman & Robin (Tove Lo, Taylor Swift), Carl and Rami (Ariana Grande "One Last Time"), Rostam Batmanglij (Vampire Weekend), Devonté Hynes (Blood Orange), Shellback (Maroon 5, Taylor Swift) and more.

"I took my time with this album and wanted to make a pop record that had heart to it. I was lucky enough to work with some of my favorite writers and producers and together we made a collection of songs that I couldn't be more proud of," says Jepsen.

E•MO•TION is the follow-up to Jepsen's U.S. debut album Kiss, which featured her blockbuster break-out hit "Call Me Maybe." "Call Me Maybe" climbed to No. 1 on the iTunes Singles charts in over 47 countries and has sold over 17 million singles worldwide to date. It earned Jepsen 2012 GRAMMY nominations for Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year. Kiss also spawned the follow-up hit "Good Time," a duet with Owl City, which has been certified double-platinum. Jepsen spent much of 2014 starring in the Broadway production of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, earning rave reviews.

Edit June 11/15

According to Wikipedia, here are the song credits (so far):

No. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length

1. "Run Away with Me" Carly Rae Jepsen, Robin Lennart Fredriksson, Mattias Larsson, Oscar Holter, Jonnali Parmenius, Shellback Shellback 4:11

2. "E·MO·TION" Jepsen, Christopher Baran 3:17

3. "I Really Like You" Jepsen, J Kash, Peter Svensson Svensson, Halatrax 3:24

4. "Gimmie Love" Jepsen, Fredriksson, Larsson 3:22

5. "All That" Jepsen, Ariel Rechtshaid, Devonte Hynes Rechtshaid 4:38

6. "Boy Problems" Jepsen, Greg Kurstin, Sia Furler 3:42

7. "Making the Most of the Night" 3:58

8. "Your Type" Jepsen, Carl Falk, Rami Yacoub 3:19

9. "Let's Get Lost" Jepsen, Baran, Ben Romans 3:13

10. "LA Hallucinations" 3:04

11. "Warm Blood" Jepsen, Rostam Batmanglij, Tegan & Sara Quin 3:41

12. "When I Needed You" Jepsen, Rechtshaid, Nate Campany, Daniel Nigro 3:41

13. "Black Heart" 2:56

14. "I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance" Jepsen, Jose Luis Cruz, Agostino "Tino" Zolfo 3:59

15. "Favourite Colour" Jepsen, Fredriksson, Larsson 3:29

16. "Never Get to Hold You" 4:13

17. "Love Again" Jepsen, Baran, Nate Campany 3:35

cheer1

Required Watching: Behind the Scenes 

Perhaps this next album will be more like her Curiosity EP and less over-produced like Kiss was.

THIS SO MUCH!!!

I was very disappointed by Kiss. Now I like it but it doesnt hold a candle to the Curiosity EP. That was absolute pop perfection.

I love her pre-"Call Me Maybe" songs so much because they were cute and unique; "Kiss," save for the hits, was an overproduced, generic mess. I hope this time they allow her to make her own album instead of throwing all their resources trying to create another CMM, because it ain't happening again.

I didn't realize she had an album before Kiss

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16177-1355761178-1.gif

It was an indie folk record, so don't even start. Not even on a major label.

i9ucbawxheq5t.gif

Anyways, it's so stupid that they just dropped TIGOY with no promo - they might have been able to at least salvage the era by having 4 top 10s (as opposed to two + two flop singles now).

It's a good idea to get a new album out since her momentum isn't completely dead in the water yet - hopefully, this time she'll have some better success. Kiss was a good album and there were potential hits there (quite a few) - my only comment would be that she gets Dr. Luke/Max Martin to do the lead single and try to commit to doing either a record influenced completely by Robyn, or an album reminiscent of Katy Perry. And hopefully, they will push her more this time around rather than putting out the album then throwing her on a tour and promoting This Kiss long after the radio premiere date.

The issue with both This Kiss and TIGOY was that they released these tracks while she was on tour. She just isn't a big enough pop star to have singles released without promo.

It's great that she is getting out there and touring, getting new fans and all, but as a new artist she can't be hidden. Every single needs to be worked.

I've watched her success and she is doing very well outside of the US. She did very well in Asia, and now she seems to be huge in the Middle East.

She has remained in the Top 40 iTunes Artist Chart for the last year and continues to sell - but the US strategy is failing which worries me.

She's on tour with Justin for another 4 weeks. Then it's back to Canada for the Juno Awards at the end of April. Hopefully by then TIGOY isn't gone from US Top 40 radio. She might salvage the song...but I have my doubts about this track because of her tour schedule.

So, CRJ has exited Justin Bieber's Tour weeks in advance. She was scheduled to stay on until mid-April. She is back in LA recording (also performing this weekend in Palm Springs). Scooter Braun (her manager) tweeted this last night:

Scooter Braun ‏@scooterbraun

@carlyraejepsen @NICKIMINAJ exciting stuff

His tweet was rather short. Not sure if Nicki is co-writing a track with CRJ, doing a remix, or recording vocals on a brand new track to be on CRJ's next album...

All seems very mysterious. nicki6

So, CRJ has exited Justin Bieber's Tour weeks in advance. She was scheduled to stay on until mid-April. She is back in LA recording (also performing this weekend in Palm Springs). Scooter Braun (her manager) tweeted this last night:

Scooter Braun ‏@scooterbraun

@carlyraejepsen @NICKIMINAJ exciting stuff

His tweet was rather short. Not sure if Nicki is co-writing a track with CRJ, doing a remix, or recording vocals on a brand new track to be on CRJ's next album...

All seems very mysterious. nicki6

It might be that song for American Idol. Maybe Nicki will feature on it?

I will be VERY upset if her next album is anywhere near as generic as Kiss. I need a full album of Curiosity EP bops! :'( Like CMM, those tracks let her stand out in the pop music world and she needs to have her own thing if she wants to be a huge pop star, not latch onto a dying trend. I want her to be successful so much because I was obsessed with her for most of 2012.

It might be that song for American Idol. Maybe Nicki will feature on it?.

I thought about Nicki performing on AI with CRJ - but I think the tweet might be something different. Nicki does sponsorship for Pepsi and I doubt they would allow her to be in a song sponsored by Coke.

Kiss was a pretty decent bubble-gum pop record. Only thing is that it came out VERY messy and all over the place. I like how her music had a slight disco feel to it. Hopefully she does this and stick with it

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.