Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

SomeUnholyWar

Amy Winehouse

36 minutes ago, Americunt said:

I've heard exactly the opposite. When she passed in 2011, she was nearly finished with her third album. Something like 13 or 14 tracks had been recorded. When the bombshell came out, her label's executives said they were caught in a huge moral dilemma surrounding the newest recordings. Asif Kapadia and Mark Ronson had access to years of studio sessions when they were compiling and finishing Lioness, but they didn't include any of the stuff she'd recorded for what would be her third album. The head of Island Records made the decision after Lioness to destroy all remaining material from the third album's sessions, so it wouldn't turn into an Aaliyah situation, with her being posthumously included on a bunch of different songs as a hook girl or whatever. So yeah, those tracks are gone now.

There are other people with demos, but none of them are from that late in her career. Her producer Stefan Skarbek has 10 unreleased tracks from Frank and Back To Black, only about five of which he considers complete. Her dad has the demo tape that got her signed before Frank, which includes covers of Night & Day and Fly Me To The Moon. There are also 12 older demos in the Island Records archives, at least one of which has already leaked in some form (one song in their archive is called "Procrastinate" and it's the final version of the leaked song "Procrastination"). The only properly new song we've gotten recently was the spoken snippet of "You Always Hurt The Ones You Love", which was included at the very end of the Amy documentary. That was first written in about 2009 for the third album. Here's the speculated tracklist for the third album, based on information from the liner notes of Lioness:

Our Souls Ain't Sold [Stylized as "Our Souls Ain't Sole" and also the only track with a confirmed placement, as she tweeted that it was Track 7] 
A Lion's Pride
Care Instructions
Cholero
Do Me a Lemon
How Long Now?
Lion(ess) In Limbo
Misery Loves Company
Not a Penny
Song For Dionne
You Never Came Back For Me
Gutter [Confirmed to be produced by Salaam Remi]
You Always Hurt The Ones You Love
The Ultimate Betrayal
Detachment

Thanks for the info, although why destroy her work? They're still releasing and cashin-in on Jimi's tracks, but for fans it's a good thing to hear new material. They could release it for free also.

Judging by the tracks, this would be such a heartbreak record!

Just now, Vertigo-go said:

Thanks for the info, although why destroy her work? They're still releasing and cashin-in on Jimi's tracks, but for fans it's a good thing to hear new material. They could release it for free also.

Judging by the tracks, this would be such a heartbreak record!

I believe the label head said that he knew how much of a perfectionist she was and how she wouldn't want her work to be put out unless she were happy with the final product. Ergo, rather than let other people cannibalize the songs for spare parts and hope she would've liked the final result, it was easier to just have the recordings destroyed.

I'm guessing that was the case as well. You Always Hurt The Ones You Love was pretty visceral and clearly about her divorce from Blake, based on the snippet. A couple people close to her, including her immediate family and goddaughter Dionne Bromfield have heard the final cuts of the songs from the third record and they've said the songs had a surprising amount of reggae influence. I'm guessing the family has masters as well and knowing Mitch Winehouse, that probably means some will get out eventually, but I think it'll be a while, since Island Records has this relatively hands off policy.

Just now, Americunt said:

I believe the label head said that he knew how much of a perfectionist she was and how she wouldn't want her work to be put out unless she were happy with the final product. Ergo, rather than let other people cannibalize the songs for spare parts and hope she would've liked the final result, it was easier to just have the recordings destroyed.

I'm guessing that was the case as well. You Always Hurt The Ones You Love was pretty visceral and clearly about her divorce from Blake, based on the snippet. A couple people close to her, including her immediate family and goddaughter Dionne Bromfield have heard the final cuts of the songs from the third record and they've said the songs had a surprising amount of reggae influence. I'm guessing the family has masters as well and knowing Mitch Winehouse, that probably means some will get out eventually, but I think it'll be a while, since Island Records has this relatively hands off policy.

Mitch is a proper cunt. I got so aggravated watching "Amy", I wanted to punch myself in the face.

Yeah, I follow British music magazines I buy, on FB, like Mojo and Uncut, and one of them posted an article which I didn't click on for some reason, from maybe last July when "Amy" got released, where somebody claimed they had at least a dozen tracks on their hands.

31 minutes ago, Vertigo-go said:

Mitch is a proper cunt. I got so aggravated watching "Amy", I wanted to punch myself in the face.

Yeah, I follow British music magazines I buy, on FB, like Mojo and Uncut, and one of them posted an article which I didn't click on for some reason, from maybe last July when "Amy" got released, where somebody claimed they had at least a dozen tracks on their hands.

The fact that he controls her estate now is honestly disgusting. I'm sure The Amy Winehouse Foundation does good work, but with that sleaze at the head of it, I can't help but feel like they lose a little credibility.

Yeah, that would be the older Island Records vault tracks. There was an article that came out shortly after her death, discussing those 12 tracks and how even then, Island Records wasn't planning to put them out. I'm guessing the article you saw was a restatement of that earlier work. The fact that it was passed around again may have even motivated the statement about the tracks' destruction, since it wasn't common knowledge until July of last year.

I don't believe Rehab was a joke song, which managed to get released as a lead single, became her signature and won a Grammy rip3

It's such an amazing self-deprecating song, and so catchy. Candyman lost to it, and I'm not mad at all, they're two of my favourite songs from two of my favourite female singers antm1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.