Gabe.

Which Christina Song are you Listening to?

The Lotus intro. It should have been just called Lotus on the tracklist. Anyway, it's such a great music, legendary, never been done before, etc. The ambience that was set up within the first five seconds of the song, what a piece of art! And to have it followed by the less stellar but still decent Army of Me was a good decision as both tracks actually segued very well together. But then the rest of the album followed and I wanted it to stop instantly.

The album is called Lotus. It has water directly related to it as a lotus flower grows on a body of water. Add the ambient production and overall zen mood, it should have been her greatest music to date. But it wasn't and it will never be, because she clearly didn't understand the rising up from the cleansing water concept all that well. By the third track we instead got a song about sex that, despite its fun and actually cool production, failed to excite our imaginary collective clitoris with its messy melodies and disjointed arrangement.

Then, all hell just broke loose. Not even Your Body, Let There Be Love and two Xtina-standard ballads could have saved the nasty project. The production is overall shit, the songwriting is reliant on cliché self-empowerment tropes, uninspired melodies, dreadful singing and apparently neck-free album artwork. What the fuck happened? oprah15

19 hours ago, Gwen Stefanee said:

What the fuck happened? oprah15

She didn't care for this album and it shows moo1 Her label probably pushed her to quickly record a commercial pop album after Bionic underperformed and so that they could capitalise on her stay at The Voice, but instead they ended up with an even bigger flop. gag1

The fact that she never even performed YB, the fucking lead single live is beyond me. She clearly didn't give a fuck. Well, at least we got an amazing music video out of it. moo1

1 hour ago, Kirjava said:

She didn't care for this album and it shows moo1 Her label probably pushed her to quickly record a commercial pop album after Bionic underperformed and so that they could capitalise on her stay at The Voice, but instead they ended up with an even bigger flop. gag1

The fact that she never even performed YB, the fucking lead single live is beyond me. She clearly didn't give a fuck. Well, at least we got an amazing music video out of it. moo1

The music video is gloriously camp but that doesn't even match with the whole ethereal lotus flower deity basked in light concept. Maybe she had released Your Body without having the idea of Lotus yet in mind, then the Lotus concept came later for the album. Idk, it's all such a missed opportunity to delve deeper into electronica. On paper, Lotus should have been her Ray of Light, but it ended up as her Glitter. I'm kinda mad.

12 minutes ago, Gwen Stefanee said:

The music video is gloriously camp but that doesn't even match with the whole ethereal lotus flower deity basked in light concept. Maybe she had released Your Body without having the idea of Lotus yet in mind, then the Lotus concept came later for the album. Idk, it's all such a missed opportunity to delve deeper into electronica. On paper, Lotus should have been her Ray of Light, but it ended up as her Glitter. I'm kinda mad.

Honestly, apart from the tired-ass "you can't bring me down" self-help ballads that she then loosely tied into the Lotus metaphor, the album had absolutely no theme. It was an obvious and failed attempt at a mainstream pop album to revitalize her success, nothing more. And it was never gonna be better because she didn't care. The production value is obvious proof to this. She's always been a perfectionist when it comes to sound quality with all her other albums. Honestly, I think she was still depressed from her divorce at the time. She jumped straight into a relationship with Matt, so she probably didn't deal with the loss properly yet. + all the hate she got during Bionic clearly affected her self-esteem as well. But that's just me theorizing.

2 hours ago, Kirjava said:

Honestly, apart from the tired-ass "you can't bring me down" self-help ballads that she then loosely tied into the Lotus metaphor, the album had absolutely no theme. It was an obvious and failed attempt at a mainstream pop album to revitalize her success, nothing more. And it was never gonna be better because she didn't care. The production value is obvious proof to this. She's always been a perfectionist when it comes to sound quality with all her other albums. Honestly, I think she was still depressed from her divorce at the time. She jumped straight into a relationship with Matt, so she probably didn't deal with the loss properly yet. + all the hate she got during Bionic clearly affected her self-esteem as well. But that's just me theorizing.

Somebody should come up to her and ask her directly about the whole shenanigans. The production of the entire album is pure loudness. There's literally no depth to any of the sound, it's all just volumes. She sounded loud, the music was loud, the transitions were loud, it's so not her. I know that people like to say that all she does is scream, but on studio albums at least she knew how to balance the mixing of her vocals and the backing music. Even Liberation had that though not as efficient as the other albums prior sans Lotus.