Pretty Gays

Lorde disses Selena Gomez

I don't see anything wrong with C&GI tho um2

Just because she's saying she'll be waiting for the man of her dreams to come to her (Justin specifically lbr) doesn't mean she's saying all women should sit around like helpless damsels and open their legs when a man chooses them

Lorde you're a good artist please don't ruin it with some stupid tumblr feminism shit um2 blowing it all out of proportions because apparently everything has some feminist consequence. Shut. up

Lorde is an intelligent girl with an opinion, even if it's a wrong one. dead2

She is nowhere dissing Selena, she's just speaking about her views on feminism 

Girls can be sexually aggressive too.

I swear, people do not know what it means to be feminist. (Directed towards Lard, not you Kyoteki)

tumblr_m9sjci64m01qbh0eio1_500.gif

Nothing wrong with expressing her opinion, but I think she takes those lyrics a little too seriously. I mean I checked it (cuz I don't know the song. Selena is just not for me ny7.gif' alt='ny6'> ) and she also sings about never leaving that man's side, loving him forever and how perfect they are for each other etc. etc. These are typical lyrics cliches that have been in music since, I don't know, at least the '20s. I mean they are so common that anyone could write a song like that. Pop music is not to be taken seriously (most of the time), it's to switch your mind off your desperate little life. It's ought not to be complicated. Of course she's not gonna love that man forever and I don't know what the hell else she's promised, but you know what I mean.

If those lyrics are offensive to Lorde, then she might as well diss the entire history of pop music. um2  And not just pop. Every genre has its cliches, but certainly pop has the most. I respect that she's trying to be different, but gurl please.  :g21:  You're doing pop music. You accepted to work in this business. Then for hell's sake, accept that world you chose to be your new home with all it's flaws, even if you thrive to be more than a cliche.

Nothing wrong with expressing her opinion, but I think she takes those lyrics a little too seriously. I mean I checked it (cuz I don't know the song. Selena is just not for me ny7.gif' alt='ny6'> ) and she also sings about never leaving that man's side, loving him forever and how perfect they are for each other etc. etc. These are typical lyrics cliches that have been in music since, I don't know, at least the '20s. I mean they are so common that anyone could write a song like that. Pop music is not to be taken seriously (most of the time), it's to switch your mind off your desperate little life. It's ought not to be complicated. Of course she's not gonna love that man forever and I don't know what the hell else she's promised, but you know what I mean.

If those lyrics are offensive to Lorde, then she might as well diss the entire history of pop music. um2  And not just pop. Every genre has its cliches, but certainly pop has the most. I respect that she's trying to be different, but gurl please.  :g21:  You're doing pop music. You accepted to work in this business. Then for hell's sake, accept that world you chose to be your new home with all it's flaws, even if you thrive to be more than a cliche.

Actually, she's not doing pop. Pop radio has just picked up her alternative single and started playing it. fall4

I think Lorde's taking it a bit too far for saying Come & Get It is inherently anti-feminist(There's nothing anti-feminist about wanting your man to come and get some) but it's her opinion. She's not pulling an Azealia - she's not attacking Selena, she's stating her opinions on one of Selena's songs. It might seem like she has criticisms about certain songs but the truth is, society and pop music is still very anti-feminist. Most, if not all, female pop stars end up having to sell sex in some sort of fashion to get to the top and though it's all well and good to be in charge of your own sexual identity, at the same time it's sad that female pop stars feel like they HAVE to do it to get to the top and that IS anti-feminist. A lot of people on FOTP won't sympathize with that because they're not females - they're gay males and though they get prejudiced against for their sexuality, they still don't know what it's like to be prejudiced against for being a woman. Something you literally cannot control - even with homosexuality, you don't necessarily have to practice it (not saying you can control it, but you don't HAVE to have sex) but women can't control being women. They were BORN WOMEN and shouldn't feel like they have to do something they don't want to do to get ahead of their peers, especially when males don't have to. 

Actually, she's not doing pop. Pop radio has just picked up her alternative single and started playing it. fall4

I think Lorde's taking it a bit too far for saying Come & Get It is inherently anti-feminist(There's nothing anti-feminist about wanting your man to come and get some) but it's her opinion. She's not pulling an Azealia - she's not attacking Selena, she's stating her opinions on one of Selena's songs. It might seem like she has criticisms about certain songs but the truth is, society and pop music is still very anti-feminist. Most, if not all, female pop stars end up having to sell sex in some sort of fashion to get to the top and though it's all well and good to be in charge of your own sexual identity, at the same time it's sad that female pop stars feel like they HAVE to do it to get to the top and that IS anti-feminist. A lot of people on FOTP won't sympathize with that because they're not females - they're gay males and though they get prejudiced against for their sexuality, they still don't know what it's like to be prejudiced against for being a woman. Something you literally cannot control - even with homosexuality, you don't necessarily have to practice it (not saying you can control it, but you don't HAVE to have sex) but women can't control being women. They were BORN WOMEN and shouldn't feel like they have to do something they don't want to do to get ahead of their peers, especially when males don't have to. 

Well, I still think that Lorde is pop, albeit she's more on the alternative side.

I completely agree with everything else. Even though I was merely talking about the cliches of songwriting, I thank you for this amazing essay on feminism. :D

No, seriously. There's nothing wrong with being sexual as long as it comes naturally, and you genuinely enjoy expressing yourself that way. I mean we have to stop acting like women are in no control of their own life and everything they do is to please men. Some really just want to have fun and sex is fun. Of course it doesn't mean that all girls are like this. Most actually, are the opposite. As you mentioned they sex themselves up to appeal and not for their own enjoyment. To get back on topic I actually think that Selena is like this. And Lorde is obviously against this over-sexualizing, which is nice, but she still took this too seriously imo as there are millions of songs with the same content. It doesn't make it right in any way, but all I'm saying is what did she expect from mainstream-cliche-pop? Cuz that Selena song certainly isn't anything revolutionary.

Well, I still think that Lorde is pop, albeit she's more on the alternative side.

I completely agree with everything else. Even though I was merely talking about the cliches of songwriting, I thank you for this amazing essay on feminism. :D

No, seriously. There's nothing wrong with being sexual as long as it comes naturally, and you genuinely enjoy expressing yourself that way. I mean we have to stop acting like women are in no control of their own life and everything they do is to please men. Some really just want to have fun and sex is fun. Of course it doesn't mean that all girls are like this. Most actually, are the opposite. As you mentioned they sex themselves up to appeal and not for their own enjoyment. To get back on topic I actually think that Selena is like this. And Lorde is obviously against this over-sexualizing, which is nice, but she still took this too seriously imo as there are millions of songs with the same content. It doesn't make it right in any way, but all I'm saying is what did she expect from mainstream-cliche-pop? Cuz that Selena song certainly isn't anything revolutionary.

I guess Lorde feels some need to point out anti-feministic tendencies of every popular girl at the moment (she did it with Lana Del Rey too). fall4

Maybe she'd like to see more feminist-friendly ideals in mainstream pop but maybe instead of talking about it at this point, she could let her music speak for itself. It's clear she doesn't need to sell sex to turn out a good song - maybe if she showed the world that, others would follow. I do think it was kind of insulting to point out Selena particularly in contrast to a repeat offender like Britney, Rihanna, et al. She probably wouldn't go there because that's akin to career suicide in this day and age. 

She's only sixteen years old and already trying to take on pop patriarchy, which I think is brave and admirable but maybe this time, actions should start speaking louder than words. Her album's a good step in the direction of showing the world music doesn't have to be about sex - but then again this was an interview, so maybe she was prodded in that direction and we didn't really see that. 

And thanks about the essay. I'm actually somewhat feminist myself - I'm a guy but I believe in equality for everyone; I've seen enough women struggle because of their gender - so this whole debate hits close to home for me. 

I guess Lorde feels some need to point out anti-feministic tendencies of every popular girl at the moment (she did it with Lana Del Rey too). fall4

Maybe she'd like to see more feminist-friendly ideals in mainstream pop but maybe instead of talking about it at this point, she could let her music speak for itself. It's clear she doesn't need to sell sex to turn out a good song - maybe if she showed the world that, others would follow. I do think it was kind of insulting to point out Selena particularly in contrast to a repeat offender like Britney, Rihanna, et al. She probably wouldn't go there because that's akin to career suicide in this day and age. 

She's only sixteen years old and already trying to take on pop patriarchy, which I think is brave and admirable but maybe this time, actions should start speaking louder than words. Her album's a good step in the direction of showing the world music doesn't have to be about sex - but then again this was an interview, so maybe she was prodded in that direction and we didn't really see that. 

And thanks about the essay. I'm actually somewhat feminist myself - I'm a guy but I believe in equality for everyone; I've seen enough women struggle because of their gender - so this whole debate hits close to home for me. 

I agree. She should stop preaching and start singing. ny1ny7.gif' alt='ny6'> I like her music tho, for the exact fact that it's different. But she seriously starts to put me off with all these comments... fall4  I mean she doesn't say stupid things, and she's very grown up for her age, (I mean, when I was 16 I was still stuck at the "I have to appeal to everybody!" stage. ny10 Now I just don't give a fuck and keep being awesome. :gaycat:  And you know, the fun thing is, that people actually started to accept me more when I stopped being a try-hard :rolleyes: ) but I'm sure she has no idea that she comes off pretty harsh.

And I'd like to thank you in the name of all my fellow feminist-females for standing up for us as a man. :)

she should be attacking the writers/producers not selena um2

um2 And not Selena for agreeing to sing it?

Anyway, I think she's reading too much into it, it's just a fun pop song and it's not even overtly sexualised. If she's gonna come for anyone on a feminist level surely she should be gunning for Miley. 

um2 And not Selena for agreeing to sing it?

Anyway, I think she's reading too much into it, it's just a fun pop song and it's not even overtly sexualised. If she's gonna come for anyone on a feminist level surely she should be gunning for Miley. 

why?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.