DivineChristina

TV shows you're watching right now!

1 hour ago, Mikey Likey said:

The Purge, it’s actially pretty good.

american horror story. This season is so much better than the last two. 

not when Roanoke and Cult are in the holy trinity along with Coven nicki4

26 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

American Horror Story.

mad5

same kii1 but I have a feeling Apocalypse would be the worst season out of the bunch brit5 2 episodes in and still no plot line?

@Americunt

I'm up to the end of season 6 of Mad Men, waiting for both parts of season 7 to come in. I absolutely love the show, and I'm dying to talk about it, but I don't dare walk into its subreddit until I'm done dead2 There isn't a single primary character whose resolution I'm not fascinated in seeing (well, maybe Bert Cooper, but even with how many episodes he's in he's never had a ton of focus, I won't be surprised if he simply dies given his age). I have many theories on how it will go down for everyone, I'm sure there will be a various deal of happy endings and long overdue comeuppances jj2 

So who is your favourite character overall (and if it's Draper, your second favourite), and what's your favourite season?

1 hour ago, Not Dennis Reynolds said:

So who is your favourite character overall (and if it's Draper, your second favourite), and what's your favourite season?

A lot of water under the bridge since I last watched through, so I've forgotten a lot of details, but I think Season 1 is my favorite? It just set the stage for what was to come so cleanly. Maybe that's a cop-out. dead2 

Favorite long-term main character is probably...Joan? In a show so much about gray morality, she stands out as one of the few characters who are genuinely sympathetic even when they're doing wrong. Many of the female characters get similar treatment (Peggy, Sally, even Megan to a degree), but some of them are just so personally deplorable that they're harder to empathize with. Betty Draper is the prime example of that, given how much of a shrew she's portrayed as most of the time, even despite the obviously oppressive domesticity she's forced to shoulder. As the men go, I think Roger and Don hit about the same marks for me. Both are really well-acted roles and even though a lot of the time the aura of sleaze they give off is overwhelming, they're still fascinating to watch.

19 hours ago, Americunt said:

A lot of water under the bridge since I last watched through, so I've forgotten a lot of details, but I think Season 1 is my favorite? It just set the stage for what was to come so cleanly. Maybe that's a cop-out. dead2 

Favorite long-term main character is probably...Joan? In a show so much about gray morality, she stands out as one of the few characters who are genuinely sympathetic even when they're doing wrong. Many of the female characters get similar treatment (Peggy, Sally, even Megan to a degree), but some of them are just so personally deplorable that they're harder to empathize with. Betty Draper is the prime example of that, given how much of a shrew she's portrayed as most of the time, even despite the obviously oppressive domesticity she's forced to shoulder. As the men go, I think Roger and Don hit about the same marks for me. Both are really well-acted roles and even though a lot of the time the aura of sleaze they give off is overwhelming, they're still fascinating to watch.

Season 1 does set the stage really well, but having seen most of the series now it kinda makes me what it'll be like on rewatch. A big part of the show that year is Don Draper's mystique, and I kinda feel like I know him too well now, if that makes sense dead2 

Yeah, Joan is a really good character, and the more she's developed the more sympathetic she becomes (given how long she's married to Greg, it's hard not to given how horrible that character is). I agree with those choices, and Pete interests me a lot too - at the beginning of the show he seems like kind of an obvious villain, with the snotty, old money entitled thing - and not that he isn't that, but I also like how it's all a bit deeper than that, and especially his relationship with Don. And I also find it interesting that they chose to portray him as being several steps ahead racially than most of the other characters (with the TV ad, his seeming disgust with Roger's blackface performance, MLK assassination, etc). And I like Ken a lot too - he's one of the more easily likeable characters in the series.

I also wanted to ask, do you have any favourite comic relief moments? I love the sardonic sense of humour this show has and the occasional gallows stuff ("Just when he got his foot in the door, he lost it", "I'd have my secretary do it, but she's dead").

58 minutes ago, Not Dennis Reynolds said:

Yeah, Joan is a really good character, and the more she's developed the more sympathetic she becomes (given how long she's married to Greg, it's hard not to given how horrible that character is). I agree with those choices, and Pete interests me a lot too - at the beginning of the show he seems like kind of an obvious villain, with the snotty, old money entitled thing - and not that he isn't that, but I also like how it's all a bit deeper than that, and especially his relationship with Don. And I also find it interesting  that they chose to portray him as being several steps ahead racially than most of the other characters (with the TV ad, his seeming disgust with Roger's blackface performance, MLK assassination, etc). And I like Ken a lot too - he's one of the more easily likeable characters in the series.

I also wanted to ask, do you have any favourite comic relief moments? I love the sardonic sense of humour this show has and the occasional gallows stuff ("Just when he got his foot in the door, he lost it", "I'd have my secretary do it, but she's dead").

Pete definitely has surprising depth to him, underneath his priggishness. I do still have a bit of a grudge over his early treatment of Peggy, so that keeps me from being completely in his court, but he's certainly a great example of the gray morality I mentioned earlier. The lingering resentment for his parents was a particularly good thread for his character, as I recall.

I think my Top 2 comic moments would be Miss Blankenship's death (a hilariously surreal episode on the whole) and Megan's ridiculous serenade. I remember watching the Season 5 premiere live with my parents and we were straight up cackling at how bizarre and uncomfortable that whole scene was, with Don squirming at having all his business on display while Megan was completely oblivious to how much he hated it. dead2 

I think I'm only watching 4 shows at the moment since I finished Wanderlust - American Horror Story, Manifest, The Purge, and How To Get Away With Murder...and AHS and HTGWM finishes in 2 episodes and Purge finishes in 1 episode rip4 

I really don't have the time these days to start anything ny4  I also just finished Maniac which was by far a waste of time.

11 hours ago, Americunt said:

Pete definitely has surprising depth to him, underneath his priggishness. I do still have a bit of a grudge over his early treatment of Peggy, so that keeps me from being completely in his court, but he's certainly a great example of the gray morality I mentioned earlier. The lingering resentment for his parents was a particularly good thread for his character, as I recall.

I think my Top 2 comic moments would be Miss Blankenship's death (a hilariously surreal episode on the whole) and Megan's ridiculous serenade. I remember watching the Season 5 premiere live with my parents and we were straight up cackling at how bizarre and uncomfortable that whole scene was, with Don squirming at having all his business on display while Megan was completely oblivious to how much he hated it. dead2 

I just watched the season 6 finale last night, and I liked most everything with Pete and his parents until around then. Having his mother fall in love with her gay caregiver who is in cahoots with Bob Benson that proceeds to marry her for her presumed wealth and then shove her overboard on a cruise ship felt a bit overly complex for that character fall8 particularly since it occurs off screen and it seems like Pete and his brother have more or less accepted it already. I did really like the episode where his father dies in the plane crash, and on his relationship with Don it's interesting that he's the person he comes to after it happens.

Oh yea, I obviously agree with you about Miss Blankenship, and Zou Bisou Bisou was pretty hilarious too rip2 

I particularly like the time jumps between seasons. There are many drama series that would hook you in with some big cliffhanger at the end of a season and then pay it off immediately in the next season premiere, but I liked how they let the bit with Peggy's child with Pete unfold gradually over season 2. It also allows for some stuff like Don's affair with Sylvia Rosen to feel more natural by the time season 6 is occurring after he made some efforts to make his marriage to Megan work better than his previous one (refusing to cheat on her throughout season 5, having told her about Dick Whitman very early on), even if their marriage had several gaping cracks even then.

Right now my main is How to Get Away with Murder which I watch on Fridays instead of Thrusdays cause well I'm free then !! the rest of my shows I'm letting them just go on so I can binge watch later all at once !! I do have a bit of time in the middle of week where I'm thinking of either doing Westworld or The Expanse !!