LÉON

Cyndi Lauper

24 minutes ago, Dash My Wig said:

It came off the back of True Colors, though, which was a modest hit here (no. 12). I hate these travesties. Like how all of Stevie Nicks's songs flopped until Rooms On Fire, despite smashing in the US cry3 

The UK has always been really weird with Cyndi Lauper singles. During the 1980s, she had always had a couple of flops for every hit that she had, but in the 1990s all of her singles were Top 40 (unlike in the US where none of them charted).

Just now, Skyline said:

The UK has always been really weird with Cyndi Lauper singles. During the 1980s, she had always had a couple of flops for every hit that she had, but in the 1990s all of her singles were Top 40 (unlike in the US where none of them charted).

Yeah she had a brief resurgence in the 90s with the Hey Now remix and The World is Stone. If A Night To Remember had been of higher quality she might have had more sustained success. Still, it gave us IDAN demi1 

Just now, Dash My Wig said:

Yeah she had a brief resurgence in the 90s with the Hey Now remix and The World is Stone. If A Night To Remember had been of higher quality she might have had more sustained success. Still, it gave us IDAN demi1 

I Drove All Night is the best track on ANTR, Cyndi's version is better than that Celine cover demi1

The World is Stone should have been included as a bonus track on 'Hat Full of Stars', it could have helped the album sell more. In France, The World is Stone was a big hit and it helped Hat Full of Stars reach Top 10 even though it wasn't included on the album dead2

Cyndi doesn't like A Night to Remember, she calls it "A Night to Forget" dead2

11 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I Drove All Night is the best track on ANTR, Cyndi's version is better than that Celine cover demi1

The World is Stone should have been included as a bonus track on 'Hat Full of Stars', it could have helped the album sell more. In France, The World is Stone was a big hit and it helped Hat Full of Stars reach Top 10 even though it wasn't included on the album dead2

Cyndi doesn't like A Night to Remember, she calls it "A Night to Forget" dead2

Also better than the original yas2 But Celine's version is actually quite tragic. She just can't convey emotion like Cyndi. Those runs yas2 The high notes where her voice changes yas2 

ny2 A Night to Forget ny2 I think her record label was putting pressure on her for that album, which is a shame, because True Colors (album) didn't do THAT badly. I've got all of her albums up to the 90s, plus BYTTB, but they're all patchy and HFOS is my least fave. 

2 minutes ago, Dash My Wig said:

Also better than the original yas2 But Celine's version is actually quite tragic. She just can't convey emotion like Cyndi. Those runs yas2 The high notes where her voice changes yas2 

ny2 A Night to Forget ny2 I think her record label was putting pressure on her for that album, which is a shame, because True Colors (album) didn't do THAT badly. I've got all of her albums up to the 90s, plus BYTTB, but they're all patchy and HFOS is my least fave. 

Yes originally she wanted to call the album "Kindred Spirit" but the original lead single 'Hole in My Heart' flopped so the entire concept was scrapped and she had to change her sound and image.

True Colors did pretty well worldwide but it could have had better single choices. 'What's Going On' and 'Boy Blue' could have been replaced by songs like 'Maybe He'll Know' or '911'.

Hat Full of Stars is a bit of a grower, some people find it boring but I like it. The ballads (Who Let in the Rain, Sally's Pigeons, HFOS) are among my favourite Cyndi songs.

Shine is quite good, it's a mixture of her 80s and 90s sounds in one album. Unfortunately the full album only got released in Japan, the rest of the world got an EP with 4 songs and a remix ny12 Also, Cyndi always gets dragged by Madonna fans for the song 'Madonna Whore' which isn't actually about Madonna ny5

5 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Yes originally she wanted to call the album "Kindred Spirit" but the original lead single 'Hole in My Heart' flopped so the entire concept was scrapped and she had to change her sound and image.

True Colors did pretty well worldwide but it could have had better single choices. 'What's Going On' and 'Boy Blue' could have been replaced by songs like 'Maybe He'll Know' or '911'.

Hat Full of Stars is a bit of a grower, some people find it boring but I like it. The ballads (Who Let in the Rain, Sally's Pigeons, HFOS) are among my favourite Cyndi songs.

Shine is quite good, it's a mixture of her 80s and 90s sounds in one album. Unfortunately the full album only got released in Japan, the rest of the world got an EP with 4 songs and a remix ny12 Also, Cyndi always gets dragged by Madonna fans for the song 'Madonna Whore' which isn't actually about Madonna ny5

Justice for HIMH ny3 It suited her style more, I wasn't here for AOR Cyndi. 

Ideal True Colors release order would have been Change of Heart, True Colors for the winter, Iko Iko for spring (because The Belle Stars had a hit with it in 1989 so maybe Cyndi's version would have been used for the film that made it smash), then maybe a remixed Calm Inside The Storm

Why did I just type that? It's irrelevant to humanity orangu1 

I'm also not here for Cyndi ballads, aside from TAT. Her voice just doesn't suit them IMO. scream1 Didn't even know about Madonna Whore scream1 It wouldn't be surprising if it was a drag, though. Madge vs Cyndi was the Tay vs Katy of the 80s yas2 

34 minutes ago, Dash My Wig said:

Justice for HIMH ny3 It suited her style more, I wasn't here for AOR Cyndi. 

Ideal True Colors release order would have been Change of Heart, True Colors for the winter, Iko Iko for spring (because The Belle Stars had a hit with it in 1989 so maybe Cyndi's version would have been used for the film that made it smash), then maybe a remixed Calm Inside The Storm

Why did I just type that? It's irrelevant to humanity orangu1 

I'm also not here for Cyndi ballads, aside from TAT. Her voice just doesn't suit them IMO. scream1 Didn't even know about Madonna Whore scream1 It wouldn't be surprising if it was a drag, though. Madge vs Cyndi was the Tay vs Katy of the 80s yas2 

Hole in My Heart is a great song, it didn't deserve to flop ny3 It flopped so hard in the UK that they asked to send all the CD singles back to them ny3

True Colors and Change of Heart are the only obvious single choices from that album. I guess there weren't many other songs that could be hits.

I think "Madonna Whore" is about the Madonna-Whore Complex (which inspired Madonna's Like a Virgin album cover too).

Cyndi didn't really have a problem with Madonna, most of the time she actually praised her for her work. The only time she 'shaded' Madonna was when she said that the Papa Don't Preach music video was unrealistic because it showed a pregnant teenager being able to start a family with her boyfriend (at the end of the video). Cyndi thought that it was unrealistic because in reality a lot of fathers don't always stay with the mother. Cyndi's song "Sally's Pigeons" is also about teenage pregnancy but it's a lot sadder because it's about a friend she knew who died after a back alley abortion.

Shine has some great songs imo. A lot people think "Water's Edge" is like a Time After Time Part 2. Also, "It's Hard to Be Me" is very similar to her 80s music.

You can listen to the full album on YouTube if you want:

3 hours ago, Skyline said:

Hole in My Heart is a great song, it didn't deserve to flop ny3 It flopped so hard in the UK that they asked to send all the CD singles back to them ny3

True Colors and Change of Heart are the only obvious single choices from that album. I guess there weren't many other songs that could be hits.

I think "Madonna Whore" is about the Madonna-Whore Complex (which inspired Madonna's Like a Virgin album cover too).

Cyndi didn't really have a problem with Madonna, most of the time she actually praised her for her work. The only time she 'shaded' Madonna was when she said that the Papa Don't Preach music video was unrealistic because it showed a pregnant teenager being able to start a family with her boyfriend (at the end of the video). Cyndi thought that it was unrealistic because in reality a lot of fathers don't always stay with the mother. Cyndi's song "Sally's Pigeons" is also about teenage pregnancy but it's a lot sadder because it's about a friend she knew who died after a back alley abortion.

Shine has some great songs imo. A lot people think "Water's Edge" is like a Time After Time Part 2. Also, "It's Hard to Be Me" is very similar to her 80s music.

You can listen to the full album on YouTube if you want:

Is that part about the CD singles true? rip3 

And it's true (about True Colors jj2), it was a mostly hit-free selection, but I do have a soft spot for One Track Mind also (She Bop pt. 2?)

Maybe the video was unrealistic but at least it might have shown teenage fathers how to take responsibility clap1 I can't really listen to Sally's Pigeons, it's... uncomfortable jj3 

Will give it a listen, I've only heard the title track from that album.

6 minutes ago, Dash My Wig said:

The B-Sides though rip3 

Did the vinyl still get released? Otherwise how would they know it was flopping?

I think the vinyl was still released (like all her other 1980s singles) but the single didn't chart at all so I don't think that it sold that much.

CD Singles were still quite new in 1988 so maybe it was recalled because they thought it wouldn't sell much because more people would buy the vinyl?

I think the 'I Drove All Night' CD single had the same b-sides. There was even a 'Limited Edition' CD Single for IDAN only released in the UK, but the reason it was so special was because it had a picture printed on the Disc (which was super special back in the late 1980s) rip2

6 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I think the vinyl was still released (like all her other 1980s singles) but the single didn't chart at all so I don't think that it sold that much.

CD Singles were still quite new in 1988 so maybe it was recalled because they thought it wouldn't sell much because more people would buy the vinyl?

I think the 'I Drove All Night' CD single had the same b-sides. There was even a 'Limited Edition' CD Single for IDAN only released in the UK, but the reason it was so special was because it had a picture printed on the Disc (which was super special back in the late 1980s) rip2

I thought that might be the reason. 

I have a few 80s CD singles and they seem so... basic rip2 I get picture disc vinyl singles being special but a picture CD? rip2 Bless the people in the 80s. 

Also, this convo has got me looking at her pages on Wikipedia, and some of them are quite shady:

[From Boy Blue page]: 

The single version is a remix (which cuts much of Lauper's more impressive vocal wailing, presumably in effort to make it more commercially accessible).

[From IDAN page]: The music video...features shots of an antique car, [and] Lauper's characteristically manic dancing

dead2 

1 minute ago, Dash My Wig said:

I have a few 80s CD singles and they seem so... basic rip2 I get picture disc vinyl singles being special but a picture CD? rip2 Bless the people in the 80s. 

Yeah 80s CDs are really basic rip2 I suppose that's why Picture Disc CDs were so special.

The I Drove All Night Picture Disc looked like this:

Image result for cyndi lauper i drove all night picture disc

It doesn't have a front cover because they wanted to show the picture on the CD rip2

4 minutes ago, Dash My Wig said:

Also, this convo has got me looking at her pages on Wikipedia, and some of them are quite shady:

dead2 

"vocal wailing", "manic dancing" dead2

The ANTR page mentioned how Cyndi calls it A Night to Forget:

Although the album is called A Night to Remember, Lauper jokingly prefers to call it "A Night to Forget", given the poor sales, and the problems that happened with David Wolf, her producer and boyfriend at the time, during the production of the album

9 minutes ago, Skyline said:

It doesn't have a front cover because they wanted to show the picture on the CD rip2

"vocal wailing", "manic dancing" dead2

The ANTR page mentioned how Cyndi calls it A Night to Forget:

Although the album is called A Night to Remember, Lauper jokingly prefers to call it "A Night to Forget", given the poor sales, and the problems that happened with David Wolf, her producer and boyfriend at the time, during the production of the album

rip2rip2rip2 If I saw that in a shop I'd think it was a broken copy. 

Yeah I saw that too, she even shades herself yas2 

rip2rip2rip2 If I saw that in a shop I'd think it was a broken copy. 

Yeah I saw that too, she even shades herself yas2 

I'd feel the same. If it got donated to a charity shop, they would probably throw it out because it doesn't have a cover rip2 And yet that CD is worth about £20-£30 to collectors rip2

Cyndi is a self-aware Queen yas2

12 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I'd feel the same. If it got donated to a charity shop, they would probably throw it out because it doesn't have a cover rip2 And yet that CD is worth about £20-£30 to collectors rip2

Cyndi is a self-aware Queen yas2

I used to work in a charity shop and I was thinking the same thing rip2 

I used to work in a charity shop and I was thinking the same thing rip2 

I used to work in a charity shop too and I remember CDs and Cassettes were sometimes thrown away because there were too many on the shelves and they weren't selling quickly enough rip2

1 minute ago, Skyline said:

I used to work in a charity shop too and I remember CDs and Cassettes were sometimes thrown away because there were too many on the shelves and they weren't selling quickly enough rip2

OMG queen of charity and music taste. We used to bin all CD singles and cassettes rip3 Our shop was more modern than yours it seems. 

Which charity did you work for?