Nino

Lana one of the most beautiful women?

I think she is pretty and beautiful, but in her own way.  My boyfriend thinks she is the most gorgeous woman on earth, but to be honest, I disagree.  I think her "pretty" and "beauty" is a bit overrated.  Stans make her more to be, than she actually is. Do I think she can she take a pretty picture, yes.  Do I think she is the prettiest woman to ever walk this earth, I would say no.  I don't really love her personality either, but that's something else. 

I don't really love her personality either, but that's something else. 

What bothers you about her personality? I've never found anyone able to pinpoint an exact reason that they genuinely disliked her as a person, so I'm quite curious what your take on the matter is.

@Americunt You know, that I have been trying to figure out myself for a while now.  It's not that I "don't like" her as a person! There is just something that I hesitate on "loving" her like a lot of other people, when I listen to her music, watch her videos and watch her live performances, and listen to her talk in interviews.  I think she is tremendously talented! But there is something in her personality and the way that she presents herself that just doesn't quite click for me.  I guess what I am saying is, I have never been able to quite get a read on who she is.  The reason why I love the celebrities that I do, is because I love getting to know them as a person, and I just haven't had that with Lana.  Maybe someday I will see the light. :happy:  My boyfriend plays enough of her music around me that it is bound to happen someday lol. 

@Americunt You know, that I have been trying to figure out myself for a while now.  It's not that I "don't like" her as a person! There is just something that I hesitate on "loving" her like a lot of other people, when I listen to her music, watch her videos and watch her live performances, and listen to her talk in interviews.  I think she is tremendously talented! But there is something in her personality and the way that she presents herself that just doesn't quite click for me.  I guess what I am saying is, I have never been able to quite get a read on who she is.  The reason why I love the celebrities that I do, is because I love getting to know them as a person, and I just haven't had that with Lana.  Maybe someday I will see the light. :happy:  My boyfriend plays enough of her music around me that it is bound to happen someday lol. 

Ah, it's that reserved nature that's bothering you. Yeah, a lot of people have trouble reconciling that with her music. There are a few sites that dug deep into her past and pulled up all sorts of information, which helped me connect with her a lot more. Maybe I can teach you a little bit about why I've fallen for her.

She had all kinds of troubles as a teenager, many of which are detailed in songs on Born To Die. She started writing music to deal with her alcoholism (which began at age fourteen), which is why a lot of the very early stuff we have is about addiction and kicking it. She was sent off to the prestigious Kent Boarding School in Connecticut at fourteen as well, which a lot of people believe occurred at her mother's urging. More on that later.

She's not a hugely social creature, but she's dated around four people seriously enough to start writing songs about them. The most mysterious of these four is K, the only name known in relation to Lana's apparent "greatest love". This relationship is detailed in For K Part 2 and TV In Black & White, along with a few other songs. This relationship is under some scrutiny, in that it's not entirely certain that K really existed. He could've been a figment of her imagination that gave her comfort. Either way, there is a definite tenderness about her.

She has a degree in Philosophy, with a focus on Metaphysics from Fordham University in New York. She wasn't a very good student, because she focused so much on music, even then.

She has two siblings, Caroline "Chuck" Grant and Charles "Charlie/Chaz" Grant, who are both younger than her. Chuck is a photographer who works with Lana a lot, but also does a fair number of exhibitions. Charlie is currently a student. He's been arrested twice (once for shoplifting and once for failing to show up for a hearing) and also made a cameo in Lana's Tropico film. Their parents are Robert Grant and Patricia Grant. It's a matter of ongoing debate which child is the favorite of each parent. Rob seems to favor Lana over the other two, which emphasizes that whole "daddy's girl" thing she's got going on. Patty, on the other hand, seems to have incredibly strained relationships with Lana and Charlie, which might be related to their difficult upbringings. Chuck is apparently the model child, having never gotten into legal trouble, but still being successful in her chosen field. Lana definitely doesn't resent Chuck for this, but seems to have some animosity towards her mother, which is outlined in the song "My Momma" from Sirens. Patty and Lana are also very rarely seen together, even though Rob and Lana are always out and about on trips, which is just more fuel for the fire.

After college, she became something of a hermit. She bed surfed through Greenwich Village for a while, before ending up in a trailer park whose location has never been satisfactorily proven. The whole time, she was attempting to launch her singing career desperately, while probably go-go dancing to keep herself afloat. This period began in about 2007. It was around this time that she met and became managed by Bob Leone and began interacting with his other clients, including Stefani Germanotta AKA Lady Gaga. The depth of Lana and Gaga's connection is unknown, but their relationship soured by 2009 when Gaga finally hit it huge and left Leone in the dust, after hiring a new manager. By 2008, Elizabeth Woolridge Grant began to officially call herself "Lana Del Ray", likely because of pressure to be unique in the industry. This decision probably was resultant from her signing to 5 Points Records in 2007. That same year, she also collaborated for several months with David Kahne, at Leone's urging. The album Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant was written, recorded, produced, mixed and mastered during these months, though it wouldn't see official until 2010. She continued to play live shows during 2008 and began recording demos on her laptop, along with videos of her performing songs, interspersed with found footage from Youtube. iTunes also approached her around this time and got her to release the Kill Kill EP, due to demand from fans in New York City.

2009 was a huge year for Lana. She finally had some clout after recording with Kahne and receiving positive hype from live shows, even though she was still an upstart. She began to shop around for producers who might help her break into a more commercial market and eventually came into contact with Princess Superstar, an independent rapper and producer based in NYC. Their collaboration produced a total of four songs, which were unlike most of what she had done before. They were pop driven and somewhat urban retro-revival pieces, which apparently clicked with both Princess Superstar and Lana. Princess Superstar put her in contact with a number of other producers after their session, which led to her becoming significantly more of a pop artist. This may have been partially inspired by jealousy over Gaga's success, which is outlined in the song "So Legit", recorded early in 2009. Lana began to write music to a ridiculous degree around this time. It's unknown whether she ever intended to release any of the music recorded from this point on. She also moved into an apartment with her sister during 2009.

2010 saw her really hit her stride. After finally getting connected to the right people, she recorded with tons of respected producers for what would ostensibly be her first album. However, because demand was high, according to her fans working for iTunes, the shelved Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant album was released in January 2010. A few months later, Lana changed management and signed with Stranger Records, who wanted to take her all the way into that new direction and ended up removing the AKA album from iTunes. She also dyed her hair brown for the first time in 2010, as she is a natural blonde and wanted to be taken more seriously as an artist.

From there, you probably know the story. It's really quite a tale. I didn't even talk about all her different boyfriends during those times and they're a huge part of the music sounding like it does.

This is one of the most heavily edited pictures from that shoot, though. They edited her lips to ridiculous proportions, straightened the bridge of her nose and messed with the shadows so much that it changed her face's natural contour. Nothing from that shoot is really usable as proof, since it's hardly even her face in the pictures. :creep:

moo3

Are there any unedited photos from that shoot? :creeP:

Ah, it's that reserved nature that's bothering you. Yeah, a lot of people have trouble reconciling that with her music. There are a few sites that dug deep into her past and pulled up all sorts of information, which helped me connect with her a lot more. Maybe I can teach you a little bit about why I've fallen for her.

She had all kinds of troubles as a teenager, many of which are detailed in songs on Born To Die. She started writing music to deal with her alcoholism (which began at age fourteen), which is why a lot of the very early stuff we have is about addiction and kicking it. She was sent off to the prestigious Kent Boarding School in Connecticut at fourteen as well, which a lot of people believe occurred at her mother's urging. More on that later.

She's not a hugely social creature, but she's dated around four people seriously enough to start writing songs about them. The most mysterious of these four is K, the only name known in relation to Lana's apparent "greatest love". This relationship is detailed in For K Part 2 and TV In Black & White, along with a few other songs. This relationship is under some scrutiny, in that it's not entirely certain that K really existed. He could've been a figment of her imagination that gave her comfort. Either way, there is a definite tenderness about her.

She has a degree in Philosophy, with a focus on Metaphysics from Fordham University in New York. She wasn't a very good student, because she focused so much on music, even then.

She has two siblings, Caroline "Chuck" Grant and Charles "Charlie/Chaz" Grant, who are both younger than her. Chuck is a photographer who works with Lana a lot, but also does a fair number of exhibitions. Charlie is currently a student. He's been arrested twice (once for shoplifting and once for failing to show up for a hearing) and also made a cameo in Lana's Tropico film. Their parents are Robert Grant and Patricia Grant. It's a matter of ongoing debate which child is the favorite of each parent. Rob seems to favor Lana over the other two, which emphasizes that whole "daddy's girl" thing she's got going on. Patty, on the other hand, seems to have incredibly strained relationships with Lana and Charlie, which might be related to their difficult upbringings. Chuck is apparently the model child, having never gotten into legal trouble, but still being successful in her chosen field. Lana definitely doesn't resent Chuck for this, but seems to have some animosity towards her mother, which is outlined in the song "My Momma" from Sirens. Patty and Lana are also very rarely seen together, even though Rob and Lana are always out and about on trips, which is just more fuel for the fire.

After college, she became something of a hermit. She bed surfed through Greenwich Village for a while, before ending up in a trailer park whose location has never been satisfactorily proven. The whole time, she was attempting to launch her singing career desperately, while probably go-go dancing to keep herself afloat. This period began in about 2007. It was around this time that she met and became managed by Bob Leone and began interacting with his other clients, including Stefani Germanotta AKA Lady Gaga. The depth of Lana and Gaga's connection is unknown, but their relationship soured by 2009 when Gaga finally hit it huge and left Leone in the dust, after hiring a new manager. By 2008, Elizabeth Woolridge Grant began to officially call herself "Lana Del Ray", likely because of pressure to be unique in the industry. This decision probably was resultant from her signing to 5 Points Records in 2007. That same year, she also collaborated for several months with David Kahne, at Leone's urging. The album Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant was written, recorded, produced, mixed and mastered during these months, though it wouldn't see official until 2010. She continued to play live shows during 2008 and began recording demos on her laptop, along with videos of her performing songs, interspersed with found footage from Youtube. iTunes also approached her around this time and got her to release the Kill Kill EP, due to demand from fans in New York City.

2009 was a huge year for Lana. She finally had some clout after recording with Kahne and receiving positive hype from live shows, even though she was still an upstart. She began to shop around for producers who might help her break into a more commercial market and eventually came into contact with Princess Superstar, an independent rapper and producer based in NYC. Their collaboration produced a total of four songs, which were unlike most of what she had done before. They were pop driven and somewhat urban retro-revival pieces, which apparently clicked with both Princess Superstar and Lana. Princess Superstar put her in contact with a number of other producers after their session, which led to her becoming significantly more of a pop artist. This may have been partially inspired by jealousy over Gaga's success, which is outlined in the song "So Legit", recorded early in 2009. Lana began to write music to a ridiculous degree around this time. It's unknown whether she ever intended to release any of the music recorded from this point on. She also moved into an apartment with her sister during 2009.

2010 saw her really hit her stride. After finally getting connected to the right people, she recorded with tons of respected producers for what would ostensibly be her first album. However, because demand was high, according to her fans working for iTunes, the shelved Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant album was released in January 2010. A few months later, Lana changed management and signed with Stranger Records, who wanted to take her all the way into that new direction and ended up removing the AKA album from iTunes. She also dyed her hair brown for the first time in 2010, as she is a natural blonde and wanted to be taken more seriously as an artist.

From there, you probably know the story. It's really quite a tale. I didn't even talk about all her different boyfriends during those times and they're a huge part of the music sounding like it does.

@Americunt Wow! Honestly, thank you so much for all of that information! It really gave me some more insight on her! It's so funny, because my best friend Andrea's older sister Kristina actually attended Fordham University at the same time as Lana, and knew her back then in school! They weren't in the same friend group, but she said she knew who "Lizzy" was! 

I didn't know some of that info, such as she was an alcoholic! I also didn't know that she was sent to live in Connecticut, or about her family life and relationships. I knew she knew Gaga, because I had heard the "so legit" song before, but I didn't know a lot about that time in her life.  

I need to download some more of her music, and give her a try again, but in a different light! :) 

Thank you again!  :katyanna:

moo3

Are there any unedited photos from that shoot? :creep:

None have ever surfaced, but they almost never do for Lana photoshoots. moo1

@Americunt Wow! Honestly, thank you so much for all of that information! It really gave me some more insight on her! It's so funny, because my best friend Andrea's older sister Kristina actually attended Fordham University at the same time as Lana, and knew her back then in school! They weren't in the same friend group, but she said she knew who "Lizzy" was! 

I didn't know some of that info, such as she was an alcoholic! I also didn't know that she was sent to live in Connecticut, or about her family life and relationships. I knew she knew Gaga, because I had heard the "so legit" song before, but I didn't know a lot about that time in her life.  

I need to download some more of her music, and give her a try again, but in a different light! :)

Thank you again!  :katyanna:

Oh really? That's cool! The Fordham years are still sort of shrouded in mystery for the most part. There are a few pictures of her from sporting events and parties, but overall, there's not much available on what she was doing around then. It's so weird to consider how many people knew her back then and never realized what she'd turn into in a couple of years.

Alcoholism is a huge part of why she is what she is today, in my opinion. She kicked the habit at about 17, from what I can tell and chose to devote her time to helping others stay clean through charity work and Alcoholics Anonymous, which is pretty noble. She occasionally still goes to AA meetings in LA. As for her family: they're such a cool case study, because they're still so close to one another, despite living all over the place. Lana goes between her London apartment, the Chateau Marmont and her house in LA, but still somehow manages to make time for Chuck in New York City and Rob in Lake Placid. Definitely some real love there.

No problem! If you ever have any other questions or need something clarified, you know where to find me. maisy

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.