Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hussam

Florence + The Machine

Random little thing, but I did some research on registrations of tracks from her discography and how the numbers line up with one another. Basically, this is the order in which most of the songs were written, starting with the oldest and moving forward. Some tracks aren't registered on the places I looked, so this list isn't totally complete. That said, it's damn close.

Pre-Lungs and Lungs era tracks:
Box Song [No idea what this is, but it's an ooooold track]
Coffin Song [The original title of My Boy Builds Coffins]
Kiss With a Fist
The Building Song [Another mystery title]
Swimming
Dog Days Are Over
Blinding [Registered in a batch of three tracks with Rabbit Heart and Howl]
Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
Howl
Bird Song
Between Two Lungs
Cosmic Love
Drumming Song
Falling
Hardest of Hearts
Hurricane Drunk
I'm Not Calling You a Liar

Ceremonials era tracks:
Strangeness and Charm [The first track written for Ceremonials, probably close to a year prior to anything else that made the album]
I Can Run [Presumably, the first known Ceremonials outtake]
Heavy In Your Arms [Though most of you probably consider this late Lungs era, it was actually written after Strangeness and Charm, so I guess it counts as Ceremonials era]
Shake It Out [There was a jump between numbers likely around six months. This was the first of a batch of five tracks registered sequentially. It was later registered again]
No. 1 With a Bullet [The second known Ceremonials outtake and the second of the batch of five tracks]
Only If For a Night [The third of the batch of five tracks. This track was also registered again later]
Reunion [The third known Ceremonials outtake and the fourth of the batch of five tracks]
Contours [The fourth known Ceremonials outtake and the fifth of the batch of five tracks]
Lover to Lover
All This and Heaven Too [This track was registered twice, presumably as they updated it later. This was the first registration]
No Light, No Light
Oh Eden [The fifth known Ceremonials outtake]
What The Water Gave Me
All This and Heaven Too [Second registration of the track. It's presumably finished at this point]
Bedroom Hymns
Breaking Down
Heartlines
Landscape [Registered very close in number, though not sequentially, to Leave My Body; probably on the same day, within an hour or so]
Leave My Body
Never Let Me Go
Only If For a Night [Second registration, so the song's probably finished at this point]
Seven Devils [Registered in a batch with Shake It Out's second registration]
Shake It Out [Second registration, probably finished at this point]
Spectrum [The final standard edition track to be registered]
Love Note [The sixth known Ceremonials outtake]
Made of Stone [The seventh known Ceremonials outtake]
Breath of Life [Worked on before the album was complete]
Sweet Nothing [Also worked on before the album was complete]
Remain Nameless [The final track that made the album to be registered, significantly later than any of the others]
I Still Bleed Red [The eighth and final known Ceremonials outtake]

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful era tracks:
Over The Love [Registered a fair bit after Remain Nameless, though still long before any tracks meant for HBx3]
Within and Without [The first known outtake from the How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful sessions, registered maybe a few weeks after Over The Love]
As Far As I Could Get [Interestingly, we know it isn't the first track she wrote. This was registered as part of a batch of seven songs]
Hiding [Second of the batch of seven songs]
I Wanna Be With You [The second known HBx3 outtake, third of the batch of seven songs]
St. Jude [Fourth of the batch of seven songs]
Caught [Fifth of the batch of seven songs]
Pure Feeling [Sixth of the batch of seven songs]
Unbeliever [The third known HBx3 outtake and seventh of the batch of seven songs]
Over The Love (Of You) [This remix of Over The Love was completed only shortly before the soundtrack released, which dates everything prior to 2012 or early 2013]
Conductor [From here forward, she's registering every song individually, probably as they're completed, each likely a few days to a week apart]
Delilah
How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Long & Lost
Make Up Your Mind
Mother
Queen of Peace
Ship To Wreck
Third Eye
Various Storms & Saints
What Kind of Man
Which Witch [Though we know this is actually one of the first songs she wrote, so perhaps she never considered it finished or wanted to include it until much later]
Tantalus [The fourth and final known HBx3 outtake]
I Will Be [Probably written a month or so before Too Much Is Never Enough]
Too Much Is Never Enough
Wish That You Were Here [Registered much later than either of the previous ones]

On 2017-02-10 at 5:47 PM, PhCh said:

Just find out of the existence of this, it seems like it would slay if it was properly recorded interesting1 

Just came across this now - but apparently this is like a cult fave within the fanbase.

11 minutes ago, Americunt said:

Random little thing, but I did some research on registrations of tracks from her discography and how the numbers line up with one another. Basically, this is the order in which most of the songs were written, starting with the oldest and moving forward. Some tracks aren't registered on the places I looked, so this list isn't totally complete. That said, it's damn close.

Pre-Lungs and Lungs era tracks:
Box Song [No idea what this is, but it's an ooooold track]
Coffin Song [The original title of My Boy Builds Coffins]
Kiss With a Fist
The Building Song [Another mystery title]
Swimming
Dog Days Are Over
Blinding [Registered in a batch of three tracks with Rabbit Heart and Howl]
Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
Howl
Bird Song
Between Two Lungs
Cosmic Love
Drumming Song
Falling
Hardest of Hearts
Hurricane Drunk
I'm Not Calling You a Liar

Ceremonials era tracks:
Strangeness and Charm [The first track written for Ceremonials, probably close to a year prior to anything else that made the album]
I Can Run [Presumably, the first known Ceremonials outtake]
Heavy In Your Arms [Though most of you probably consider this late Lungs era, it was actually written after Strangeness and Charm, so I guess it counts as Ceremonials era]
Shake It Out [There was a jump between numbers likely around six months. This was the first of a batch of five tracks registered sequentially. It was later registered again]
No. 1 With a Bullet [The second known Ceremonials outtake and the second of the batch of five tracks]
Only If For a Night [The third of the batch of five tracks. This track was also registered again later]
Reunion [The third known Ceremonials outtake and the fourth of the batch of five tracks]
Contours [The fourth known Ceremonials outtake and the fifth of the batch of five tracks]
Lover to Lover
All This and Heaven Too [This track was registered twice, presumably as they updated it later. This was the first registration]
No Light, No Light
Oh Eden [The fifth known Ceremonials outtake]
What The Water Gave Me
All This and Heaven Too [Second registration of the track. It's presumably finished at this point]
Bedroom Hymns
Breaking Down
Heartlines
Landscape [Registered very close in number, though not sequentially, to Leave My Body; probably on the same day, within an hour or so]
Leave My Body
Never Let Me Go
Only If For a Night [Second registration, so the song's probably finished at this point]
Seven Devils [Registered in a batch with Shake It Out's second registration]
Shake It Out [Second registration, probably finished at this point]
Spectrum [The final standard edition track to be registered]
Love Note [The sixth known Ceremonials outtake]
Made of Stone [The seventh known Ceremonials outtake]
Breath of Life [Worked on before the album was complete]
Sweet Nothing [Also worked on before the album was complete]
Remain Nameless [The final track that made the album to be registered, significantly later than any of the others]
I Still Bleed Red [The eighth and final known Ceremonials outtake]

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful era tracks:
Over The Love [Registered a fair bit after Remain Nameless, though still long before any tracks meant for HBx3]
Within and Without [The first known outtake from the How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful sessions, registered maybe a few weeks after Over The Love]
As Far As I Could Get [Interestingly, we know it isn't the first track she wrote. This was registered as part of a batch of seven songs]
Hiding [Second of the batch of seven songs]
I Wanna Be With You [The second known HBx3 outtake, third of the batch of seven songs]
St. Jude [Fourth of the batch of seven songs]
Caught [Fifth of the batch of seven songs]
Pure Feeling [Sixth of the batch of seven songs]
Unbeliever [The third known HBx3 outtake and seventh of the batch of seven songs]
Over The Love (Of You) [This remix of Over The Love was completed only shortly before the soundtrack released, which dates everything prior to 2012 or early 2013]
Conductor [From here forward, she's registering every song individually, probably as they're completed, each likely a few days to a week apart]
Delilah
How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Long & Lost
Make Up Your Mind
Mother
Queen of Peace
Ship To Wreck
Third Eye
Various Storms & Saints
What Kind of Man
Which Witch [Though we know this is actually one of the first songs she wrote, so perhaps she never considered it finished or wanted to include it until much later]
Tantalus [The fourth and final known HBx3 outtake]
I Will Be [Probably written a month or so before Too Much Is Never Enough]
Too Much Is Never Enough
Wish That You Were Here [Registered much later than either of the previous ones]

Holy wow this sure informed me dead2

She's always amazing with giving us bonus tracks and B Sides - as well as stand alone releases. But I'd love to hear other outtakes one day. I assumed she'd maybe repackage HBHBHB but I guess not this time!

Also I've noticed that during the Lungs era she had this obsession with writing song titles as "X" Song. I think I've even seen a video with her referring to Swimming as "Swimming Song"

11 minutes ago, Aidan. said:

She's always amazing with giving us bonus tracks and B Sides - as well as stand alone releases. But I'd love to hear other outtakes one day. I assumed she'd maybe repackage HBHBHB but I guess not this time!

Also I've noticed that during the Lungs era she had this obsession with writing song titles as "X" Song. I think I've even seen a video with her referring to Swimming as "Swimming Song"

Yeah, I never worry about her albums being short. Her philosophy is pretty much to jam-pack an album with every bit of content possible. Honestly, I think the re-releases and repackages weren't her decision, so I wasn't that surprised at HBx3 not getting one. The Lungs one was basically the label squeezing every last penny from the success of Lungs and all the music had already been recorded. For Ceremonials, the only additions were live stuff plus Breath of Life, since that's all that there was which didn't dilute an already long album. With HBx3, she sunk all her efforts into The Odyssey videos and the album didn't see huge success like either of the others, so there was probably no point in getting any further cash out of it.

Sadly, I think most of the outtakes are going to remain unleaked in the foreseeable future, since as good as they probably are, she doesn't seem to like reusing old stuff. I crave all those outtakes so bad, though. The few unreleased tracks we have are just fantastic.

I think that song title thing was a defining feature of the era immediately prior to Lungs; right after the Florrible & Misrabella/Ashok period. Swimming was definitely titled "Swimming Song" initially, but the label asked her to change it to just "Swimming", since she already had "Drumming Song" and "Bird Song" on the album.

Florence and Rick Nowels wrote the new Sia song from the Wonder Woman soundtrack, "To Be Human". This is notable because it's the first original song on which Sia sings that she didn't write. Proof that Flo is a good enough writer to stand in for Sia! jj2 

Shake It Out and What Kind of Man were the best singles off of their respective albums, so I'm worried about Hunger carla1 

On 5/6/2018 at 10:47 AM, Modern Woman said:

Shake It Out and What Kind of Man were the best singles off of their respective albums, so I'm worried about Hunger carla1 

What Kind Of Man arguably yes (Delilah was equally good imo), but Never Let Me Go was definitely the best single off Ceremonials aretha1 

8 hours ago, fab said:

What Kind Of Man arguably yes (Delilah was equally good imo), but Never Let Me Go was definitely the best single off Ceremonials aretha1 

Never Let Me Chart was cute for a hot sec but it got boring quickly. NLNL>>>

5 hours ago, PoisonCandy said:

The June -> Hunger transition is still one of the best things in F+TM's entire discography. I almost always listen to them together giveup1

I wish more artists made transitions like that instead of hacking songs together.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.