Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hussam

Florence + The Machine

IT'S SO EPIC I'M SHAKING INSIDE.

me too. but i deleted it off again, i am waiting for the whole album.

it sounds a thousand times better than her debut and that was already flawless. i never thought it could sound that awesome.

me too. but i deleted it off again, i am waiting for the whole album.

it sounds a thousand times better than her debut and that was already flawless. i never thought it could sound that awesome.

i am going to keep it on repeat for a long while ny14

imo it's keeping up with her debut which is awesome as 'lungs' itself was awesome! i was a little disappointed with 'what the water gave me' and now hearing this i'm absolutely hyped up again.

Shake It Off is fucking perfection cry1cry1

Her next album is going to slay mercilessly cry1

and i've been a fool and i've been blind

i can never leave the past behind

i can see no way, i can see no way

i'm always dragging that horse around

:'(

Strangeness And Charm IS included in the deluxe edition as well as a couple more new songs and an acoustic version of Shake It Out cry1cry1cry1

I can't wait for the music video and all the promo, she always slays with her live performances cry1

Shake It Off sounds like her stab at Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill. Fucking fabulous oprah2

First listen: Florence and the Machine's new album, Ceremonials

A sneak preview of seven tracks from the follow-up to Lungs suggests something epic.

Lilies and cupcakes and candles, oh my – it could only be a playback of the new Florence and the Machine album, Ceremonials. In an upstairs room in an east London pub earlier this week, seven tracks ("don't worry, it's not a really short album, this is just a bit of it") got their first airing. It sounds loud, and expensive. It's hard to get any sense of pace, since it was a selection of tracks rather than the whole thing, but it's fairly relentless in terms of its enormity.

There are a few shifts in sound, with a Frank Ocean-ish R&B feel to one and some trancey synths on another, and there's a definite eye on America. But otherwise, it's business as usual: devils, horses, prayers and hearts feature heavily, and moodily.

Only If for a Night Here's that slow-jam influence, with layers of gloomy synths setting the tone for the a story of a dream about a girl from school. "It was strange and so surreal that a ghost should be so practical," she trills. For those concerned that the kooky, spooky Florence might have been retired in favour of cold hard scientific fact, this suggests that she hasn't.

Shake It Out This has already leaked, and sets the dynamic of almost all these tracks, in terms of its quiet-to-loud-louder-really-quite-loud dynamic. It's easy to imagine this as an X Factor winner's single. I had written down the lyrics as "take it off, take it off", incidentally, which is a bit more "hen do", and might have been worth considering for its commercial value, especially in these post Here Come the Girls times.

Never Let Me Go Here's another huge, crashing semi-ballad. This is like one of those bombastic Ryan Tedder productions, and since he was responsible for Beyoncé's Halo, Jordin Sparks's Battlefield and Leona Lewis's Bleeding Love, among others, it's full of thumping stadium drums and sounds like it has the US charts in its epic crosshairs.

No Light, No Light A wonky piano, a choir and the return of the harp, as well as more Phil Collins-ey drums, in the tale of what appears to be a humdinger of a domestic – Kiss With a Fist, but more grown-up, and colder. "I'd do anything to make you stay," she sings, before switching tack: "You want a revelation, no light no light in your bright blue eyes." Like the rest of these tracks, it's kitchen sink and then some, but there's a little more texture here.

Spectrum Florence seems to be singing "say my name" over and over, which Destiny's Child have already laid claim to, but aside from that this is another subtle shift in sound, with 90s house added to some more harp. It had a hint of Olive's You're Not Alone.

Leave My Body Previously enjoyed teaser track What the Water Gave Me takes itself in a Stonesy direction towards the end, twisting itself into more of a grower than initial listens would suggest. This is more of the same, a 60s bluesy stomp with the same brittle recklessness of Lungs' Hurricane Drunk. "I don't care if I live or die," she insists. "I don't want no future, I don't need no past."

• Ceremonials is released on 31 October on Island Records.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/sep/15/florence-machine-ceremonials

cry1cry1cry1

Never Let Go sounds incredible cry1cry1cry1

When is Shake It Out being released to the radio/itunes in the UK?

Florence was on Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show wednesday evening and she premiered the song then, and it was available for pre-order on UK iTunes afterwards. It isn't released until October 2nd (the same week Marina's Radioactive is out, which I think will be her biggest competition) so it definitely should go Top 10/5; hopefully though she will get her first #1, there's certainily a good chance given how popular she is at the moment. On a side note, the Weeknd is doing a remix for the single EP, I need to hear it cry1

Btw, here's the link if you want to listen to her radio interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kg5tp

Florence was on Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show wednesday evening and she premiered the song then, and it was available for pre-order on UK iTunes afterwards. It isn't released until October 2nd (the same week Marina's Radioactive is out, which I think will be her biggest competition) so it definitely should go Top 10/5; hopefully though she will get her first #1, there's certainily a good chance given how popular she is at the moment. On a side note, the Weeknd is doing a remix for the single EP, I need to hear it cry1

Btw, here's the link if you want to listen to her radio interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kg5tp

OMG thanks girl cry1

Honestly I was a fan of Marina but her new sound sucks, she totally sold out and I don't think she's going to match the (mediocre) sales of her first album cry1

I really hope Flo promotes this song, it's too fucking perfect oprah1

Any details on a music video yet?

OMG thanks girl cry1

Honestly I was a fan of Marina but her new sound sucks, she totally sold out and I don't think she's going to match the (mediocre) sales of her first album cry1

I really hope Flo promotes this song, it's too fucking perfect oprah1

Any details on a music video yet?

No problem :)

Aw, I really like Radioactive, even if it's making it clear she is desperate for that big hit; I wouldn't have thought her comeback would do much (especially after this whole convoluted Electra Heart trilogy bullshit), but it's her most mainstream song yet, and I see the video getting played quite a bit on music channels, so you never know, I can see it going Top 10 on iTunes tbh.

And me too, What the Water Gave Me was a buzz single to announce that she was back, which was promotion in itself, and this being her first major single from the album, I want to see her ass on them TV shows. I'm praying after it was rumoured last year that she will get a performance slot on the X Factor (both UK & US preferably). She could also do with appearing on the Jonathon Ross Show; I'm hoping we will be getting more news on what she's got lined up soon. As for the video, I have no idea if they've even filmed it yet, but hopefully we will get it before the month is out oprah2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.