(o)_(o)

Does she leak her own stuff?

It'd seem silly to leak music, but it's not completely disadvantageous to an indie, or at very least alternative artist.

In doing so, she keeps us all interested in her music, and more importantly, developing a strong stanbase.

I just haven't seen many artists leak like Lana; she pours over the net.

her laptop was supposedly stolen a few years ago, hence all the leaks. she was asked about this in an interview sometime this month and stated whoever is in possession of her laptop has around 210 songs. we currently have somewhere around 160-180?

also a good amount of tracks were also taken off former producers soundclouds. 

I very much doubt that she leaks her own material. She had an external hard drive full of songs that was accessed by a group of hackers towards the beginning of 2012 that contained a huge portion of what's currently out there. That doesn't account for everything, though. She's had multiple producers post unreleased songs in places they shouldn't have, which led to the leaking of the so-called "Untouchable Five", as well as Stoplight De-Lite, Prom Song (Gone Wrong) and one version of Motel 6. Several of her email accounts were also hacked, but most of the songs found in there were leaked almost immediately, so it's pretty much dry as a source of content now.

As someone who deals in her unleaked stuff as a hobby, I can answer pretty much any other question you've got.

I very much doubt that she leaks her own material. She had an external hard drive full of songs that was accessed by a group of hackers towards the beginning of 2012 that contained a huge portion of what's currently out there. That doesn't account for everything, though. She's had multiple producers post unreleased songs in places they shouldn't have, which led to the leaking of the so-called "Untouchable Five", as well as Stoplight De-Lite, Prom Song (Gone Wrong) and one version of Motel 6. Several of her email accounts were also hacked, but most of the songs found in there were leaked almost immediately, so it's pretty much dry as a source of content now.

As someone who deals in her unleaked stuff as a hobby, I can answer pretty much any other question you've got.

omg; you're like a lana archivist. You'll have to recommend me some more songs with experimental soundscapes in her unrealeased work because a good deal of it I did not like (May Jailer does not exist) and consequently gave up listening to for long.

But onto the question at hand: why does this seem to happen to her almost exclusively? A good deal of pop and alternative stars pen, record, and archive their written songs in the event a good production or incorporation into another work strikes them.  She went to college for something like philosophy or something of the like, which includes a lot of abstraction, and she doesn't know how to keep producers silent and her hard-drive at least encrypted by her staff?

I

I feel stupid for asking, but what are the 'untouchable five?'

I feel stupid for asking, but what are the 'untouchable five?'

They're the five tracks from Rick Nowels' website that were publicly posted last summer: Hollywood, JFK, Starry Eyed, Black Beauty and Angels Forever, Forever Angels. Over time, they've become colloquially known as the Untouchable Five, because they were never supposed to be found, but due to a security error, Rick Nowels' site had public directories full of unreleased songs by various artists.

omg; you're like a lana archivist. You'll have to recommend me some more songs with experimental soundscapes in her unrealeased work because a good deal of it I did not like (May Jailer does not exist) and consequently gave up listening to for long.

But onto the question at hand: why does this seem to happen to her almost exclusively? A good deal of pop and alternative stars pen, record, and archive their written songs in the event a good production or incorporation into another work strikes them.  She went to college for something like philosophy or something of the like, which includes a lot of abstraction, and she doesn't know how to keep producers silent and her hard-drive at least encrypted by her staff?

I

Well, she's not the only person this has ever happened to. Gaga dealt with this same thing to some extent, when a lot of her old tracks were taken by Burim and DJ Stolen, who began trading them so much that they eventually leaked. I've heard that occurred in a similar way, with the two of them accessing her email and laptop respectively. Neither were encrypted heavily, as she was considered an unimportant artist. Lana's hard drive was apparently also not encrypted for this same reason. I don't think it would've occurred to her that people would ever want her unreleased tracks or chase them with such fervor. At the time, she'd only just released Born To Die and was still sort of reeling from the perceived death blow that was the SNL performance.

As for keeping producers quiet, she's never really had a problem with that. Only three producers of unreleased tracks have ever posted those tracks publicly on purpose: Princess Superstar, Jeff Peretz and Aaron LaCrate. Princess Superstar posted a few of the songs they did together on her Soundcloud, but only after they'd been posted elsewhere. Jeff Peretz posted two completely unheard songs without any provocation early last year, which was pretty strange. He's the only one who's ever done it of his own volition (and actually leaked an original song). Aaron LaCrate was quite proud of Daddy Issues and posted it on Twitter several times. He also was super dickish about Scarface and threatened to leak it several times, but only ever posted it when it was already leaked.

The main difference between Lana and anyone else in this sort of situation is that it was a sizable group of hackers who got into her external hard drive, rather than just an individual. The group members all went their separate ways after the hacking and began to trade the tracks for tracks from other artists, give them to their friends and occasionally leak some of them. They're still filtering down through friends of friends until eventually the track falls into the wrong hands and gets posted online. It's inevitable that everything will leak eventually, but a lot of them are still quite far off.

I'll do some suggestions of good unreleased tracks in another post, because this one's pretty long already. moo1

@

Now for those unreleased tracks.

Strange Love - A song that recounts a psychedelic love story, accented by some unsettling backing vocals. It's quite simplistic, but it's an experience to listen to.

Golden Grill - This song always reminds me of the score of the James Bond film Live and Let Die. It's one of the tracks produced by Princess Superstar.

Come When You Call Me America - There are two versions of this song and they're quite different. The first version has very clean production with brass accompaniment, but the vocals are hard to reckon at points. The second version is much rougher in its production (featuring no brass instruments) and the vocals are even harder to hear.

Maha Maha - This is another Princess Superstar track, which is about an alien love affair. The production is heavy on drumbeats, sitar and synths. There are three versions of this song, but they're not different enough to mention.

Backfire - This song meanders a lot. She gets lazy with her pronunciations and it makes for this very laid back air, which is somewhat unusual, considering the song is about suicide.

Catch and Release - Yet another Princess Superstar track. Most people describe this song as "creepy" or "Halloween-esque". There's some sort of squelchy synth in the background, which puts it on a very strange path. The beat drops in the last minute and things get really fast, which adds to the mood. Again, two versions, but the second version just has an extra noise like 30 seconds in.

Put Your Lips Together - This is one of those old laptop demos that's just odd. I think she was trying to expand her repertoire a little. There's not much to this song, but the instrumentation is pretty cool.

Afraid - I find this song adorable. There's this plaintive little noise in the background every few seconds that almost seems like its begging, which fits with the lyrical content. There's also some great strings and a constant drumbeat.

You & Me - Experimental and strange. She's kind of pining for someone in this song, but her vocals are on top of this instrumental that's slow as molasses. It almost feels decadent.

They're the five tracks from Rick Nowels' website that were publicly posted last summer: Hollywood, JFK, Starry Eyed, Black Beauty and Angels Forever, Forever Angels. Over time, they've become colloquially known as the Untouchable Five, because they were never supposed to be found, but due to a security error, Rick Nowels' site wasn't secure.

Thank you.

You're probably the most hardcore Lana fan I've ever met

@Americunt since you are like a Lana guru, I'll ask you this: do you think Lana is ever going to officially release an unreleased collection of some sort? I mean, she has tons of materials and I doubt it's ever going to be used in a regular album, so why not release it, maybe as a sort of Greatest Hits/ gift for the fans?

Like Americunt said, and like Lana said her computer was hacked and everything was stolen and its been getting out ever since one by one.

The only rumor I read was they intentionally leaked Black Beauty so see the response for the new album moo1

Plus Lana seemed really really mad when asked in a interview about her stuff getting leaked so I doubt she would do it intentionally

OMFG.

I have a shit tonne of questions, but I'll only post my biggest ones here:

Is Greenwich leaking soon/this weekend? I was talking to a guy who has it, and he says it's probably gonna leak this weekend since it's in heavy circulation. Also, is the info he's given me legit?

1. Laptop recording
  2. Unique, surf style instrumental.
  3. Lyrics: "Baby, are you back in Greenwich?".
  4. Whisper-like vocals.

Are there any other Lana songs that are gonna leak soon? I feel like I need some good old stuff to make up for Ultradissapointment.

@Americunt since you are like a Lana guru, I'll ask you this: do you think Lana is ever going to officially release an unreleased collection of some sort? I mean, she has tons of materials and I doubt it's ever going to be used in a regular album, so why not release it, maybe as a sort of Greatest Hits/ gift for the fans?

I can't see her doing that, actually. I think she's more in the game of monetizing her old music by selling songs to other artists. She tried this with Ghetto Baby, Break My Fall and Meet Me In The Pale Moonlight (which was on a website where artists can sell demos), so it's safe to say that's her game with unreleased songs.

OMFG.

I have a shit tonne of questions, but I'll only post my biggest ones here:

Is Greenwich leaking soon/this weekend? I was talking to a guy who has it, and he says it's probably gonna leak this weekend since it's in heavy circulation. Also, is the info he's given me legit?

1. Laptop recording
  2. Unique, surf style instrumental.
  3. Lyrics: "Baby, are you back in Greenwich?".
  4. Whisper-like vocals.

Are there any other Lana songs that are gonna leak soon? I feel like I need some good old stuff to make up for Ultradissapointment.

Don't even bother trading for Greenwich. It's short, awful quality and pretty much everywhere. It'll leak within days, if everything keeps going the way it does.

Nothing else is anywhere close to leaking, but there are more studio recordings out there.

Don't even bother trading for Greenwich. It's short, awful quality and pretty much everywhere. It'll leak within days, if everything keeps going the way it does.

Nothing else is anywhere close to leaking, but there are more studio recordings out there.

So I guess it's comparable to Meth.? I wasn't trying to trade for it, I just happened to know a guy who has it.

So I guess it's comparable to Meth.? I wasn't trying to trade for it, I just happened to know a guy who has it.

Better than Methamphetamines, but not by much. The vocals are a little better and there's more of an instrumental, but still pretty short.

Better than Methamphetamines, but not by much. The vocals are a little better and there's more of an instrumental, but still pretty short.

You know so much about Lana. :giveup:

So it'll be our next leak then? This "surfer Lana" instrumental he described sounds pretty cool, I'm interested. :interesting:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.