LÉON

What Are You Currently Reading?

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Have either of you read Circe? Is it any good? When I read The Odyssey, the parts with her and Calypso were my favorites.

Will do! I leave in about 24 hours!

I haven’t, but I really want to!

16 hours ago, Madame X said:

I always wanted to read books like this this, but i think i'll not understand shit and just waste my time. dead4

It takes longer than expected but I enjoyed it. Romeo and Juliet was fucking terrible and Macbeth was ok. 

On 9/27/2019 at 11:30 PM, who is you, chiron? said:

Booktube sings the praises of Taylor Jenkins Reid & after reading the synopsis of a few of her books I'm gonna try Daisy Jones & the Six + The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

undefined

I read Daisy Jones and I honestly didn't like it. In theory it had everything I love in books (tons of glamour and drama, pop culture references, feminist themes), but it just felt so...cringeworthy? I know that's how people in classic rock bands actually lived, but it felt like she was trying to fit in as much sex and drugs as possible just to be edgy and it took away from the story. Neither of the main characters were particularly likable, even though there were some great side characters. As for the "oral history" writing style, it felt like she just wanted to write a screenplay but didn't have a movie deal yet, so published a script as a "book." It definitely suffered from telling instead of showing, and there are points where massive character development takes place over a couple pages.

That said, a ton of people seem to love it so don't let my unpopular opinion deter you from trying it out. I don't know what your taste is like so you might really enjoy it. I'm still interested in Evelyn Hugo, because I heard the writing style is really different and that's the main thing I didn't like about Daisy Jones.

14 hours ago, Hermione said:

I know that's how people in classic rock bands actually lived, but it felt like she was trying to fit in as much sex and drugs as possible just to be edgy and it took away from the story. Neither of the main characters were particularly likable, even though there were some great side characters. As for the "oral history" writing style, it felt like she just wanted to write a screenplay but didn't have a movie deal yet, so published a script as a "book." It definitely suffered from telling instead of showing, and there are points where massive character development takes place over a couple pages.

I've heard people speak highly of the audiobook. Maybe that would a better way to get the book and all the various characters and tones.

I haven't started it yet but I've definitely nothing but good things about Evelyn Hugo book.

On 11/1/2019 at 3:01 PM, who is you, chiron? said:

I haven't started it yet but I've definitely nothing but good things about Evelyn Hugo book.

Me too, I will give her another try just because I've heard this one has a really different writing style.

I'm in a book club and these girls only want to read young adult fantasy/dystopian shit. I'm so tired of this, it's almost 2020 and there are so many other things out there with more substance and relevance. Sorry but honestly grow the hell up. rip4 Thank god I realized my Harry Potter obsession wasn't cute anymore after high school.

On 9/28/2019 at 1:30 PM, who is you, chiron? said:

Booktube sings the praises of Taylor Jenkins Reid & after reading the synopsis of a few of her books I'm gonna try Daisy Jones & the Six + The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

undefined

On 11/1/2019 at 3:26 PM, Hermione said:

I read Daisy Jones and I honestly didn't like it. In theory it had everything I love in books (tons of glamour and drama, pop culture references, feminist themes), but it just felt so...cringeworthy? I know that's how people in classic rock bands actually lived, but it felt like she was trying to fit in as much sex and drugs as possible just to be edgy and it took away from the story. Neither of the main characters were particularly likable, even though there were some great side characters. As for the "oral history" writing style, it felt like she just wanted to write a screenplay but didn't have a movie deal yet, so published a script as a "book." It definitely suffered from telling instead of showing, and there are points where massive character development takes place over a couple pages.

That said, a ton of people seem to love it so don't let my unpopular opinion deter you from trying it out. I don't know what your taste is like so you might really enjoy it. I'm still interested in Evelyn Hugo, because I heard the writing style is really different and that's the main thing I didn't like about Daisy Jones.

I had the same problems with Daisy Jones. The writing style kept the characters at arm's length and I don't feel that I connected with any of them as a result. I also took issue with the fact TJR made no real effort to individualize Daisy from the women she was based off which made her almost one dimensional.

I love anything to do with the 60s/70s rock scene so I enjoyed it on a superficial level but I was mostly disappointed. I think the upcoming TV series will probably expand upon its source material to flesh out the characters and be one of the few times a book is improved upon in its screen adaption. 

On 7/19/2019 at 2:40 PM, Régine Filange said:

I always wanted to read books like this this, but i think i'll not understand shit and just waste my time. dead4

Even as a native English speaker, Shakespeare is mostly a crock of shite mad5