Americunt

The Unreleased Spotlight

VYwnHyF.png

A lot of people have expressed to me that they're unable to dig into Lana's unreleased music, due to the sheer volume of songs that were leaked over the past few years. In that spirit, I decided to start this thread. Each day, I'll post one unreleased song. Early on, it's likely you'll have heard everything, as I intend to do the more popular songs first, but as the weeks go on, you may find some new gem waiting for you in this thread. I'll keep a running list of the song of the day in the first post.

ZhCZw3U.png

Day 1: Prom Song (Gone Wrong)

Day 2: Fake Diamond

Day 3: Hollywood

Day 4: Hit and Run

Day 5: Dangerous Girl

Day 6: Butterflies Part 2

Day 7: Behind Closed Doors

Day 8: Go Go Dancer

Day 9: Oooh Baby

Day 10: Hundred Dollar Bill

Day 11: Put The Radio On

Day 12: In The Sun

Day 13: Driving In Cars With Boys

Day 14: Back To Tha Basics

Day 15: TV In Black & White

Day 16: My Best Days

Day 17: Never Let Me Go

Day 18: Velvet Crowbar

Day 19: On Our Way

Day 20: Dum Dum (V2)

Day 21: Starry Eyed

Day 22: Tired of Singing The Blues

Day 23: Last Girl On Earth

Day 24: I Don't Wanna Go (Tonight) [black Leather Moonlight]

Day 25: JFK

Day 26: Black Beauty (Demo)

Day 27: You & Me

Day 28: Backfire

Day 29: Hawaiian Tropic

Day 30: Angels Forever, Forever Angels

Day 31: Gangsta Boy

Day 32: Dynamite

Day 33: Queen of Disaster

Day 34: Big Bad Wolf

Day 35: Making Out

Day 36: You Can Be The Boss

Day 37: Behind Closed Doors (Demo)

Day 38: Take Me To Paris

6peqtsK.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n8w29xk5nK1r85nd8o1.mp3

This little pop gem was recorded in 2010 and produced by a team known as The Nexus, who also worked on a demo of National Anthem, both versions of Driving In Cars With Boys and another song called She's Not Me. It's widely considered to be one of her best unreleased songs, for its sweetly delivered lyrics. The song is often erroneously referred to as "Teenage Wasteland", but as it was originally posted on Soundcloud under the name "Prom Song (Gone Wrong)" and has not been proven to be called "Teenage Wasteland" by any reputable source, it is safe to say that this secondary title is entirely fanmade.

0eKxuN8.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n8x77d8bRr1r85nd8o1.mp3

This song is one that I definitely find to be less appreciated than it deserves. Written and recorded in 2011, this song is one of the last few songs written for Born To Die that didn't make the final cut. It's currently unknown who produced this song, though it sounds similar to many other Born To Die outtakes from several producers. When this song originally leaked, many people were quite surprised, as it was considered a very rare track at the time (perhaps to the point that only two or three fans had it before the leak). A number of fans believe that this song is a musical love letter to Bradley Soileau, who co-starred in the videos for Born To Die, Blue Jeans and West Coast. As the Born To Die video was shot in October 2011, Fake Diamond could've been written and recorded in the intervening months, but as there is no proof that Bradley Soileau has anything to do with the song, this is only conjecture.

gKbHuDc.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n8zk8gCKIQ1r85nd8o1.mp3

Now, we come to one of my favorite unreleased tracks: Hollywood. This song is an absolutely gorgeous midtempo. It leaked almost exactly a year ago, during the well-publicized Rick Nowels debacle, when five Lana songs (including two Ultraviolence demos) produced by Rick Nowels were left in unprotected directories and then cross-posted to Soundcloud. The song is an outtake of the Paradise EP, recorded during the same sessions as Starry Eyed and JFK. Its lyrics explore some of the same themes later explored during the Ultraviolence era, which is potentially one of the reasons it was scrapped for Paradise. It's quite uptempo, considering its subject matter and explicit lyrics.

PkAsnXm.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n91jitnFZe1r85nd8o1.mp3

Today, the spotlight is on one of Lana most well-known (and well-regarded) unreleased tracks: Hit and Run. Despite its widespread popularity among stans and fans alike, very little is known about the origins of this song. The only certainty is that it was recorded in 2010, along with a vast majority of Lana's unreleased songs. Hit and Run is a story song that details an affair with the head of Interscope Records, Jimmy Iovine. This affair's basis in reality is somewhat suspect, as it was only ever referenced once during an interview. There are three versions of this song, but the one we'll be covering today is the more fully produced uptempo electropop version. We'll get to the second and third versions later on. Hit and Run is also notable, in that it is one of only three unreleased songs (the others being Big Bad Wolf and Heavy Hitter) to have had its instrumental leak.

Woah.

I didn't expect to hear this brit8

It's almost like a Zedd track fall7

I'd say it's arguably the most commercially viable song she's ever done. The lyrics are definitely textbook Lana, though.

These next few days kick the pop into full gear. Day 7 and 8 are in the same vein as Hit and Run. moo1

z0s0o2G.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_n93btjIN011r85nd8o1.mp3

Today's song is one that I consider to be among the most highly underrated, due to the fact that it leaked incredibly early in Lana's career. The track is Dangerous Girl, a 2010 pop reject with military sounding drums and some inspiringly visceral lyrics. This song was produced by Richard Mould and Ralph S. Andrew, who seem to have only ever worked on this one song with Lana. This may indicate that the song was intended for another singer, as is the case with other songs in a similar vein, such as Break My Fall, but there is no confirmation that this song was ever meant to be shopped around. The lyrics are quite assuredly Lana-esque, which may indicate that the song was never intended to be sold or that it was simply unfit to sell, due to the fact that many singers have trouble bringing emotion into covers of songs that Lana wrote. Either way, this song is a total gem.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.