Americunt

The Unreleased Spotlight

wmNFILc.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_nabtojLDUQ1r85nd8o1.mp3

The song of Day 28 is Backfire, which is a little suicidal love ditty. This song was written and recorded in 2010, with Roy Kerr and Anu Pillai as producers. The pair also worked on songs like Jealous Girl, St. Tropez and Ghetto Baby. This song has had, in my opinion, a somewhat tragic existence. It leaked the day after American Dream (AKA Damn You) and Hollywood's Dead, which basically overshadowed it for weeks. There were some people who hadn't even realized that it leaked until months afterward, just because of the turmoil surrounding the period when it leaked. The song itself is a slow-to-mid tempo burner with lyrics that don't seem quite in line with its downbeat nature at first glance. The verses are frivolous to an extent, but when the pre-chorus kicks in, you quickly realize that there's some meat to this song. The line "We've got a jumper" is a constant refrain, implying that Lana's head games with her male cohort may have backfired such that he's attempting suicide. Definitely a song that'll take some listens to grow on you, but a nice little curiosity.

deswJ28.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_nabtr2uF9D1r85nd8o1.mp3

Day 29's song is my all time favorite unreleased song. I don't care what anyone says about this track's production, lyrics, vocals or anything; I genuinely adore every single second of this song. So, now that I've got you hyped up, let's talk about Hawaiian Tropic. It's weird for me to think about, but this song's been leaked for just over a year now. Seems like so much less, but I guess that's a side effect of listening to it so much. No production info for this song has ever surfaced. This song forms part of a timeline with three other songs: 1949, Daytona Meth and Every Man Gets His Wish. The songs all share significant amounts of lyrics and/or melody. The earliest of the three is 1949, which is an old acoustic demo. Daytona Meth is a laptop demo and the second oldest. The third is Every Man Gets His Wish, which is the closest to Hawaiian Tropic in terms of melody and lyrics, as well as being a full studio-produced track. Hawaiian Tropic is the ultimate evolution of the song and the final link in the chain. There's gorgeous guitar, twinkling bells and these truly inspired, emotional vocals from Lana. It's honestly one of the best-written tracks in her discography. Just give it a listen and you'll see.

Uy4uwPN.png

Couldn't get the file down to the right size. Sorry!

On our 30th day, we round out the Untouchable Five with the final track: Angels Forever, Forever Angels. A gorgeous Rick Nowels produced and written around April 2013, this is the only confirmed Ultraviolence outtake that ended up not making the final tracklist, since Black Beauty was relegated to bonus track status. Lyrically, it could be compared to the Ultraviolence bonus track Guns and Roses (and indeed, many people believe Guns and Roses to be a more evolved version of AFFA). The bridge of this song is just ear candy, with its reference to Lolita (the book, not the song) and its breathy processed vocals. Bonus info: When the Untouchable Five leaked on Soundcloud, this was the first track I ripped. A good decision on my part, I think.

Uy4uwPN.png

Couldn't get the file down to the right size. Sorry!

On our 30th day, we round out the Untouchable Five with the final track: Angels Forever, Forever Angels. A gorgeous Rick Nowels produced and written around April 2013, this is the only confirmed Ultraviolence outtake that ended up not making the final tracklist, since Black Beauty was relegated to bonus track status. Lyrically, it could be compared to the Ultraviolence bonus track Guns and Roses (and indeed, many people believe Guns and Roses to be a more evolved version of AFFA). The bridge of this song is just ear candy, with its reference to Lolita (the book, not the song) and its breathy processed vocals. Bonus info: When the Untouchable Five leaked on Soundcloud, this was the first track I ripped. A good decision on my part, I think.

no

no

NO dead2

M9ibd7c.png

Tumblr isn't recognizing the songs as MP3s anymore fall1

Today, we begin the third set of fifteen, following the first set (mostly electropop tracks and my personal favorites) and the second set (downtempos and more stripped rock-ish tracks). The song of the day is Gangsta Boy, a lovely little bop from Lana's days as a pop writer. The song was written and recorded in 2011 with Harry James Angus as a producer. Apparently, this was the only song they wrote together as Angus is not credited on any of her other works, across the many publishing sites where her songs are registered. This song is believed to be about K, the imprisoned "love of Lana's life", due to the first line: "Don't care if you're going to prison, I wouldn't say I l-love you if I didn't". Lots of cutesy wordplay and made-up fillers like "boopty-doo" permeate the song, giving it a very sweet sound. The chorus is fairly repetitive, but it works, for what the song is. I've always had a soft spot for this song, even though it's not the deepest.

yUhp9vT.png

This one's too big to upload, despite being less than 3 minutes long. dead2

Day 32's song is another cutesy little one from Lana's pop songwriter days. Dynamite was leaked during the frenzy of December 2012, along with songs like Making Out, Noir, Is It Wrong? and Back To Tha Basics, by The Hoarded Whores and Highinthemind leak blogs. I believe this particular song came from The Hoarded Whores, but I can't be completely sure of that. Anyway, as far as production goes, we have no real clue on this song. It could've been any number of different producers' work, as Lana was working with at least eight, when this song was recorded in 2010. This song's main draw is Lana's vocal performance, featuring an uncharacteristically high and breathy voice, which she seems unable or unwilling to replicate today. The verses are very short in this song, taking up eight lines or less each time. The production is made up largely of piano and guitar, with a huge buildup at the bridge, forming a true middle eight (something of a rarity in Lana's unreleased). This song is totally a meaningless throwaway as far as writing goes, but it's just too damn cute to ignore!

OJllu2o.png

And again, it's too big. fall1

For our 33rd day, we're covering one of Lana's more famous unreleased tracks. This song brings back serious memories for me. I got this one about two weeks before it leaked, through a very generous friend, whose name I'll keep mum just for the sake of privacy. This song was produced by one of Lana's most widely renowned collaborators: Chris Braide. Braide also worked with Lana on Hollywood's Dead, American Dream (AKA Damn You), Million Dollar Man and the most sought after track in Lana's whole unreleased discography, Roses. The first time I heard those tinkling little bells that make up the intro of this song, I knew it would be amazing. Truly, it's an uptempo pop masterpiece and a soundtrack for falling in love. It's presumed that this song is about K, simply for the mentions of the phrases "gangsta" and "deep blue sea", which appear in other K-related songs. This song actually got huge press coverage around the time it leaked, as people thought it was a cut from her next album. It was played unabashedly in several different clothing stores (most notably H&M), after apparently being added to company-wide playlists. Odds are if someone's done any digging at all on Lana unreleased, they've heard this song.

Oh and for fun, here's a list of tracks that Highinthemind promised to leak on New Year's Eve 2012.

1. JFK

2. HIGH
3. BENTLEY
4. CROOKED COP
5. IM FUCKED
6. RUSSIAN
7. NOIR
8. US AGAINST THE WORLD
9. W
10. WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME

JFK turned out to be real and has since leaked.

High is widely considered to be fake.

Bentley may be real, but I've never seen any documentation to prove that it is.

Crooked Cop was real. Real and disappointing.

I'm Fucked was real in a sense, but that's not the correct title. It's actually Tired of Singing The Blues.

Russian is totally fake. Great title, though.

Noir leaked literally three days after this was posted and not because of Highinthemind.

Us Against The World was posted on The Hoarded Whores blog hours after this list went up.

W is a real title, but nobody has it.

Will You Still Love Me turned into Young & Beautiful.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.