edwinfg

Kesha Twitter Followers - Rising Star

Kesha Twitter Followers July 25

"I'll keep track of Kesha's Twitter following during the course of Rising Star to see if it has much impact on her follower count. The show runs on Sunday nights. I'll check the numbers to see the week to week increase. "

Date     Previous Followers Increase/Decrease

July 1    3,616,262| 3,621,493 (+5,231)

July 9    3,621,493| 3,631,830 (+10,337)

July 16  3,631,830| 3,633,749 (+1919)

July 25  3,633,749| 3,635,665 (+1916)

Edited by edwinfg

@Galaxy

Why has Kesha's Warrior era been a flop so far?

When Ke$ha first came on the scene with Tik Tok there was a mostly negative reaction to her. Many people thought of her as a talentless, bimbo, badass party girl and she was mercilessly bashed. Despite being one of the biggest people in music in 2010 and selling millions of albums and singles, Kesha has a paltry, although very dedicated fanbase. Twitter can be a good measure of popularity and it doesn't look good for her. She only has 3 million followers (the far less successful Carly Rae Jepsen has almost 7 million). I watched her Twitter followers during the explosion of Die Young. It broke a record for the most played song on pop radio and is close to selling 3 million copies. Yet Kesha's Twitter followers barely moved up.

People clearly love her singles but don't connect to her as a person at all. I think this is a big problem for her. People connect to meaningful songs that they can personally identify with. They may love to dance or exercise to Die Young. But they won't build any emotional connection to the singer. So, they buy singles but they don't support the artist behind them in any other way.

I fell in love with her when I came across some beautiful unreleased ballads and midtempos: Sunday Morning, This Love, Lucky, While You Were Sleeping, True Love, Feels Like Rain and many, many more. She writes all of her songs about her own life. She's a very emotional singer who is clearly very connected to what she sings. I liked the fact that she clearly had a heart and I felt I could identify with a lot of her songs. Yet few people know this sweet, thoughtful and emotional side to her.

Problematic Single Choices

Most of Ke$ha's single releases have seemingly had a party or let's have fun theme. There's often more behind the songs that have been released though. Blah Blah Blah has an underlying feminist message, Blow is actually pretty angry when you pay attention to the lyrics and Your Love Is My Drug is a cute love song and nothing to do with drug use.

But RCA/Kemosabe has never released a song by Kesha that clearly and obviously has a sweet, meaningful or emotional theme. Yet she actually has far more of those types of songs than party songs. There is a mismatch between the kinds of songs ke$ha makes and the kind people think she makes.

These poor single choices may be coming back to haunt her. I think few people have even bothered to check out Warrior because they likely think it's full of meaningless party and fun songs. Buying a few singles like that is fine. But who wants a whole album full of it? This is likely why the album is flopping despite a Metacritic score of 71 and 4.5 stars on both Amazon and iTunes.

The reaction to her show My Crazy Beautiful Life is proof of that. The Harold Song and Animal were played on the first episode. Many people who were unaware that she had songs like that had a very positive reaction. Both songs climbed into the 300's on iTunes just because of the show.

If Ke$ha is going to have long-term success, she needs to release diverse types of songs and show people that she isn't one dimensional and doesn't make just one kind of music. The question is will RCA/Kemosabe continue down this disastrous path or will they change course and release something like Last Goodbye or Love Into the Light and show people the sweet, emotional side of Ke$ha.

It could also be that she has older fans but they aren't on twitter. My mum and brother are huge fans of her (they get excited when on of her songs come on the radio and have liked her on Facebook) but there don't have twitter.

And I do strongly agree that poor single choice is a huge factor in this.

@Galaxy

People clearly love her singles but don't connect to her as a person at all. I think this is a big problem for her. People connect to meaningful songs that they can personally identify with. They may love to dance or exercise to Die Young. But they won't build any emotional connection to the singer. So, they buy singles but they don't support the artist behind them in any other way.

This is very, very true.

I strongly believe that a ballad is not the right way to show her soft or emotional side... I think the reason KMSBE has been delaying this approach is cuz she cant just do the same as the rest of artist... she should have other kind of song to show her emotions... like heavy house trance with really deep lyrics... but please no ballads in the mainstraim.. I love them but then she just would be seen as another normal artist... wich she isnt.