Galaxy

Azealia praises Rih, comes for and drags Iggy

After riding the 212 hype to major label signing, before seemingly sitting in development limbo for two years, Azealia Banks was finally released from her contract with Universal earlier this month, freeing her to release the album we’ve all been waiting two years for. Today she releases a new single, Heavy Metal and Reflective, and it looks like we might finally hear an album that’s been five years in the making, and which she has been working on with producers as diverse as Lone and Ariel Pink, and the man behind Adele and Florence + The Machine, Paul Epworth. If Nicki Minaj is the Lil Kim of now, then Azealia is the Foxy Brown: chill, deep, sexual and street-smart.

Despite today’s Rihanna T-shirt (aping the style of a Nirvana tour tee), she’s not going to be pumping out material at the rate of everyone’s fave Bajan. “Rihanna has writers, so it’s easier for her to come out with things every year because she’s in a think tank, you know? I’m sure she is enjoying her nice money and her nice hair and body products. You know, nice perfume and expensive shoes and I’m pretty sure she’s enjoying her life.” This almost comes off like RiRi resentment, before the praise pours forth. “I love her because she’s young, she’s rich, she’s beautiful. She’s not frantic about anything. She’s not trying to pretend. She’s like, ‘Yeah, so I get my songs written? So what, bitch? You wish you got your songs written. I’m making money.’”

Azealia admires the authenticity of RiRi, proudly wearing the badge of mass-produced pop, adding, “Authenticity is definitely part of things I like.” When later quizzed about what ‘cool’ means to the girl who topped the NME Cool List back in 2011. “Anything that seems fake, or anything that seems like a lie, or anything that’s not the truth, I don’t like it,” she declares. Which is why she’s not sold on fellow female rappers Iggy Azalea and Kreayshawn.

Iggy Azalea (“Where the **** did you get that name from, bitch?”) is “some Australian girl who raps like a black girl. It’s kind of silly. Whatever, people are feeling it. She’s good-looking. I get it.” As for Kreayshawn… “When I was just following her on the internet I thought she was interesting and really kind of cool. I think it got to her head and got blown out of proportion and the next thing you know she’s dissing Rick Ross. Now she’s got that V-Nasty girl shouting the N-word trying to be controversial but offending people. This is gonna get you guys nowhere.”

So how can white MCs cut the mustard? “Just be yourself, that’s really what it is. I mean I get it: black women are the strongest, most confident women in the world. Of course you want to emulate us. I get that. But at the same time, listeners will appreciate it more in the long run if you are just yourself. Eminem did it. He didn’t have to make a mockery of anyone. Beastie Boys did it. They didn’t have to make a mockery of anyone. If you want to treat it as an art form, then really treat it as an art form. Don’t use it as a gateway into a culture that you want to be a part of. Black culture is fun to the rest of the world and they all want to be a part of that, but there are certain things that are sacred to us and certain things that you will never be fully accepted into. That’s just my take on it.”

http://i-d.vice.com/en_gb/read/interviews/3876/azealia-banks

She's so jealous of Iggy.

Black culture may be sacred, but hip hop and rap isn't just for black people, not in 2014.

Of course Iggy has been influenced by black culture - but she's not trying to be black. She is quite obviously white and doesn't shy away from it.

Black culture may be sacred, but hip hop and rap isn't just for black people, not in 2014.

Of course Iggy has been influenced by black culture - but she's not trying to be black. She is quite obviously white and doesn't shy away from it.

Drag fall1 

giphy.gif

People irritate me. She's not "trying to sound black", she raps in the way her mentors do. It only makes sense um2

Iggy got a lot of these female rappers pressed sass5

If she wants Heavy Metal and Reflective to do well she better shut her fucking mouth lj1 Does she not realise her garbage tongue is what has contributed to her flopping for the past year and a half?

I think it got to her head and got blown out of proportion and the next thing you know she’s dissing Rick Ross.

THE IRONY OF THIS BITCH :scream:

I think she's right about almost everything she says. Iggy doesn't come off as authentic and real whereas that's the core of Rihanna. Kreyshawn did take things too far and it isn't appealing. Azealia runs her mouth too much and it hurts her but tbh I think she talks a lot of sense. She just needs to edit sometimes.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.