Mau

Is Katy Perry the biggest pop star in the world?

I would take a critics opinion over a teen that has only exposed him/herself to pop.

I'll give you one thing, she's a brilliant businesswoman. Her team has channeled her image and sound and made her accessible to a variety of audiences but people will get bored of her

Critics aren't always the best opinion. Critics didn't care for Psycho and were mixed and now it's a horror genre staple classic and hailed. There are plenty of songs and movies that critics hated at that moment but still went on to be classics and lauded.

Even Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't liked by many critics upon release and now it's heralded as one of the greatest songs made. I'm not comparing any of Katy's discography to Queen's iconic song, but just saying that critics aren't always right.

Katy was working with Dr Luke back when Kesha used to dig trash cans to find her breakfast. The only thing Katy took from Kesha was Tik Tok's chord progression to make a better, more memorable song and video.

Demi_Lovato_-_Here_We_Go_Again_album_cov

The only thing Katy took from Kesha was Tik Tok's chord progression

Here we have it.

no flop era no melt downs this is just all too much for Katy's career she'll get the biggest promo for her 6th single!

Legendary Lover's will finally snatch Dark Horse's weave

keep posting those vocals grammyless shitty live performances birthday flop talks. sass5 

cause this is happening! ny1

she is the biggest popstar of the world rn. whit1

hahahahah ny2.gif' alt='ny4'>

To be honest I thought they would go for Taylor before they went for Katy, Taylor is more "American", you know? In the way that it would be patriotic and country music yadda yadda. 

Yadda yadda yay! cry1

Definitely one of the biggest.

However, if she's "so big" Unconditionally should've been able to climb higher than #14, Birthday could've surpassed #17 and This Is How We Do could've definitely peaked higher than #24.  coffee1

This might be a bit off-topic but I feel like I wanna say this...

I can understand why many people would think Katy is talentless or basic or whatever, but I think that is because, to a lot of people, she is not doing what she is supposed to be doing. Obviously, I disagree with that.

Some people think she is "bland" because she did not break bad like Rihanna, or because she's not a "cool" rebel like Lorde, just to name a couple of examples. The media loves the story of a good girl gone bad, or the story of a woman who defies all to have her voice heard. Any artist's image needs something compelling to make people curious; a fascinating tale or a troubled past.

However, Katy's image does not offer any of that, and for a good reason too. She doesn't need to be a bad girl because Rihanna is already doing that, and she is perfect at it. She doesn't need to sing to the same underdogs that Lorde sings to, because Lorde already has that covered. So why is Katy being criticized for choosing to not conform to these images when she doesn't need them (judging by her huge success)? Obviously Rihanna and Lorde are just examples here, as every artist have their own fanbase and demographic that they appeal to.

Katy is very transparent about the kind of life she lives. Frankly, she has the most ordinary life out of all the pop stars we have today. She hasn't been to rehab, she doesn't have drinking/drug problems, she doesn't have some major troubled past (even the fact that her family was very religious when she was young was exaggerated by the media, she has a perfectly fine relationship with her family). So what is wrong with Katy reflecting this positivity through her music and imagery by not playing a tragic figure, and instead opting to portray a somewhat accurate representation of herself; someone who is happy and wants to make other people happy, by making the music she wants to be making at this point in her life and allowing millions of people to enjoy it with her?

I mean, do you think artists do not feel happy when their songs become big and a lot of people enjoy them, relate to them, etc...? I think Katy takes her role as an entertainer very seriously, and it brings her fulfillment to make music that a lot of people enjoy. This is her message I believe, and I don't find it to be basic or safe, but rather brave in an environment that requires us to be different in order to standout, and obviously she succeeded at doing that by filling up a role that other pop stars have neglected, or even looked down at. However, Katy's success reveals that there are a lot more people who accept her for who she is, rather than criticize her for what she is not.

So, once again, I must ask... what is wrong with Katy recording music or creating imagery that doesn't intend to change the world or revolutionize the music scene, but instead attempts to create moments and reflect Katy's journey through this life?

The world needs to hear the stories of the bad girls, the visionaries and the wisdoms of those who know more. But the world also needs to hear the testimonies of the good girl in order to know the whole story, and so I'm glad we have Katy... she's about the only one who is really having fun and keeping us entertained until the next tragic figure emerges and things get all serious again for a moment.

And yes, I believe Katy is the biggest pop star on the planet right now, alongside Rihanna and Beyonce. The three of them are huge and influential in different ways, and to deny any of them credit would not be right.

This might be a bit off-topic but I feel like I wanna say this...

I can understand why many people would think Katy is talentless or basic or whatever, but I think that is because, to a lot of people, she is not doing what she is supposed to be doing. Obviously, I disagree with that.

Some people think she is "bland" because she did not break bad like Rihanna, or because she's not a "cool" rebel like Lorde, just to name a couple of examples. The media loves the story of a good girl gone bad, or the story of a woman who defies all to have her voice heard. Any artist's image needs something compelling to make people curious; a fascinating tale or a troubled past.

However, Katy's image does not offer any of that, and for a good reason too. She doesn't need to be a bad girl because Rihanna is already doing that, and she is perfect at it. She doesn't need to sing to the same underdogs that Lorde sings to, because Lorde already has that covered. So why is Katy being criticized for choosing to not conform to these images when she doesn't need them (judging by her huge success)? Obviously Rihanna and Lorde are just examples here, as every artist have their own fanbase and demographic that they appeal to.

Katy is very transparent about the kind of life she lives. Frankly, she has the most ordinary life out of all the pop stars we have today. She hasn't been to rehab, she doesn't have drinking/drug problems, she doesn't have some major troubled past (even the fact that her family was very religious when she was young was exaggerated by the media, she has a perfectly fine relationship with her family). So what is wrong with Katy reflecting this positivity through her music and imagery by not playing a tragic figure, and instead opting to portray a somewhat accurate representation of herself; someone who is happy and wants to make other people happy, by making the music she wants to be making at this point in her life and allowing millions of people to enjoy it with her?

I mean, do you think artists do not feel happy when their songs become big and a lot of people enjoy them, relate to them, etc...? I think Katy takes her role as an entertainer very seriously, and it brings her fulfillment to make music that a lot of people enjoy. This is her message I believe, and I don't find it to be basic or safe, but rather brave in an environment that requires us to be different in order to standout, and obviously she succeeded at doing that by filling up a role that other pop stars have neglected, or even looked down at. However, Katy's success reveals that there are a lot more people who accept her for who she is, rather than criticize her for what she is not.

So, once again, I must ask... what is wrong with Katy recording music or creating imagery that doesn't intend to change the world or revolutionize the music scene, but instead attempts to create moments and reflect Katy's journey through this life?

The world needs to hear the stories of the bad girls, the visionaries and the wisdoms of those who know more. But the world also needs to hear the testimonies of the good girl in order to know the whole story, and so I'm glad we have Katy... she's about the only one who is really having fun and keeping us entertained until the next tragic figure emerges and things get all serious again for a moment.

And yes, I believe Katy is the biggest pop star on the planet right now, alongside Rihanna and Beyonce. The three of them are huge and influential in different ways, and to deny any of them credit would not be right.

clap3  clap3  clap3  clap3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.