Gabe.

Gabe's 125 songs of 2014. FINISHED.

I'M GONNNNNNNAAAAA SWIIIIIIIIINGGGG FROM THE CHANDELIIIIIIIEEEEERRR  bey6  brit2

STYLE  ahs1  bey3

I CAN GET A LITTLE DRUNK, I GET INTO ALL THE DONTS BUT ON GOOD DAYS I AM CHARMING AS FUCK YASSSSSSS  brit2

These 3 songs are perfection.  ahs1

Nicole Scherzinger – Run

Album: Big Fat Lie

I was about to avoid Nicole's Big Fat Lie era altogether after listening to Boomerang, a now buzz single released months ago and to Your Love, the official lead single that eventually grew a bit on me. As an album Big Fat Lie strikes me as a poor shadow of what could've possibly been, Nicole is a sky full of talent that deserves to shine the brightest she can.

Run is a prime example of that. This heartbreaking ballad carried only by Nicole's amazing vocals, a piano and a violin impresses more than any other "banger" on the album. "Here's advice for the next one, ruuuun, ruuuun" sings Nicole while her voice breaks only to add to the emotional effect of this number. Nicole has been heartbroken before and every single word on Run shows it.

Don't even search for that four-letter word, you'll never get it out.

Coldplay – Magic

Album: Ghost Stories

Magic was released as Ghost Stories' official single to a very mixed response from fans and critics alike, while many complimented its simplicity and catchy melody just as many thought of it as a step back and further dive into dullness.

I find myself falling in the first category; Magic does its trick on me perfectly. From the beat reminiscing a The xx production (big fan of the xx here) to Chris Martin's gorgeous tone and the very pretty lyrics describing a faultless love, everything falls right into place.

And if you were to ask me, after all that we've been through... "Still believe in magic?" Yes, I do.

Lana Del Rey – Cruel World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O12212KfQI

Album: Ultraviolence

I often pointed out that Ultraviolence is more of a winter album, sonically and lyrically but the album's opener, Cruel World is definitely a summer gem as far as that expression can go for a Lana song, I've lost track of all the summer nights I used to smoke a cigarette while listening to it before falling asleep.

Cruel World is a 6:39 affair of Lana repeating her lover's attributes, he's fucking crazy, young, wild and free over a crazy instrumental featuring some serious psychedelic influences. Cruel World definitely sets the vibe for the rest of the record and some high expectations come with it. This is in my top 3 Lana songs right now, a definite masterpiece.

I shared my body and my mind with you... that's all over now.

Coldplay – Magic

Album: Ghost Stories

Magic was released as Ghost Stories' official single to a very mixed response from fans and critics alike, while many complimented its simplicity and catchy melody just as many thought of it as a step back and further dive into dullness.

I find myself falling in the first category; Magic does its trick on me perfectly. From the beat reminiscing a The xx production (big fan of the xx here) to Chris Martin's gorgeous tone and the very pretty lyrics describing a faultless love, everything falls right into place.

And if you were to ask me, after all that we've been through... "Still believe in magic?" Yes, I do.

I loved this song, def one of the best of the year. Nothing else in the album comes close to it for me tho.

Beyonce – Flawless (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Album: More - EP

***Flawless had already been one of my favorite songs on Beyonce's self-titled album released a year ago; a statement on women's independence and freedom of speech while celebrating the flawlessness of these beings. When rumours started that Bey was going to feature Nicki Minaj on a remix, the internet went crazy.

Not as crazy as it did when the actual thing dropped, randomly uploaded on Bey's Soundcloud account without an iTunes release that would benefit the song but also Bey and Nicki. The song starts different from its original version with Beyonce rapping about various things, including the elevator incident between JayZ and Solange that had everyone talking for weeks. Nicki's contribution is found on the track's second half, one of her best verses ever showcasing her amazing talent as a rapper. All in all Flawless has been a winning affair for both parts involved and rightfully so.

Of course sometimes shit goes down when it's a billion dollars in an elevator.

Taylor Swift – Blank Space

Album: 1989

The 1989 album leak was as dramatic as it gets with everyone being incredibly thirsty to hear the entire thing and when the album eventually leaked I decided to skip Welcome To New York, the dire opening track I had heard before and head straight into this song titled Blank Space *made me think of Christina's Blank Page initially.

Thankfully it couldn't have been any more different than Welcome To New York, Blank Space hits your ears immediately with the bass on the background, Taylor's great vocals and the overall story depicted by the lyrics as the song is a self-mocking affair proving once again that Taylor has a great sense of humour and knows how to convert most situations, no matter how bad they might seem on paper, to her advantage.

Blank Space has been #1 on the HOT 100 for weeks now and even though charts aren't always depicting a song's quality or lack of, it just FEELS right for Blank Space to become Swift's biggest hit ever, more massive than all of the rest. It's an anthem to live by and live for, sheer pop brilliance from this talented young woman.

Darling, I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream!

The Antlers – Palace

Album: Familiars

Despite of me not being too much into indie records this year, I kept an eye on the amazing The Antlers and their Familiars release. The Antlers' music has always had an weird effect on me, their songs being as reflective and (most of the time) as dark as it possibly gets. I remember for instance hearing Kettering on TV show Chuck and instantly crying because it was too beautiful for words. Well, Palace was Familiars's lead single and upon my first listen I definitely was amazed to the point I bawled my eyes out, yet again. I then googled the lyrics and sang (hummed and cried) while listening to the song and the emotion I felt was too real.

Primarily what I am always looking in a song is EMOTION whether is a love influenced feeling (Coldplay's Magic, Beyonce's XO come to mind) or purely sexual (Haunted), these are the songs that strike me the most. As good as 2014 was, it kind of lacked the intensity 2013 had on me except for some songs here and there that proved themselves worthy of waking up certain numb feelings within me. Palace, Blank Space, Chandelier, Magic...

The Antlers have the special ability to TAKE the listener onto their music and paint vivid images of their lyrics (indie Taylor Swift, ha!). Palace is a terribly sad song backed by an attire of instruments - you hear a piano, a horn, a trumpet, guitars all of these maximizing the brutal effect the song has. Vocalist Peter Silberman sounds and emotes as greatly as ever and with these specific lyrics all he does is hit home again and again. Stunning in both composition and instrumentation, Palace is a 5:37 long affair that I usually avoid listening as much as I would like to, do I enjoy being asked if I cried recently?

He left the tallest peak of your paradise buried in the bottom of a canyon of hell, but I swear I'll find your light in the middle, where there's so little late at night, down in the pit of the well.

(...)

Then when heaven has a line around the corner, we shouldn't have to wait around and hope to get in, if we can carpenter a home in our heart right now and carve a place from within.

We won't need to take a ton of pictures, it won't be easy to believe, the day we wake inside a secret place that everyone can see.

125 - 001

125. Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj - Bang Bang

124. Ella Henderson - Ghost

123. Lily Allen - Sheezus

122. Tove Lo – Timebomb

121. Maroon 5 – Animals

120. Nicole Scherzinger – Your Love

119. Coldplay - Ink

118. Sam Smith - Stay With Me

117. Skrillex - Stranger

116. Mariah Carey - Thirsty

115. Kylie Minogue - Sleeping With The Enemy

114. Calvin Harris - Outside

113. Magic! - Rude

112. iamamiwhoami - Hunting For Pearls

111. Ariana Grande - Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea)

110. Majid Jordan - All I Do

109. Chris Brown - Loyal (feat. Tyga and Lil Wayne)

108. Banks - Someone New

107. Shakira - Can't Remember To Forget You (feat. Rihanna)

106. Troye Sivan - Happy Little Pill

105. Jessie Ware - Share It All

104. Anathema - The Lost Song Part 2

103. Damien Rice - The Box

102. ILOVEMAKONNEN - Tuesday (feat. Drake)

101. Tinashe - 2 On (feat. SchoolBoy Q)

100. Lamb - We Fall In Love

099. Boots - Dreams (feat. Beyonce)

098. Jhene Aiko - The Pressure

097. You+Me - No Ordinary Love

096. Lana Del Rey - Shades of Cool

095. Clean Bandit - Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne)

094. Ellie Goulding - Beating Heart

093. Broods - Bridges

092. Future - I Won (feat. Kanye West)

091. Sam Smith - Leave Your Lover

090. Royksopp & Robyn - Do It Again

089. Azealia Banks - BBD

088. Mariah Carey - Meteorite

087. Robert DeLong - Feels Like

086. Beyonce - Ring Off

085. Paramore - Hate To See Your Heart Break (feat. Joy Williams)

084. Mary J. Blige - Long Hard Look

083. Calvin Harris - It Was You (feat. Firebeatz)

082. Nick Jonas - Jealous

081. Iggy Azalea - Black Widow (feat. Rita Ora)

080. Banks - Goddess

079. Taylor Swift - You Are In Love

078. Tove Lo - Like Em Young

077. Katy B - Crying For No Reason

076. Coldplay - A Sky Full Of Stars

075. M83 - I Need You

074. Jhene Aiko - Spotless Mind

073. Grimes - Go

072. Kiesza - Hideaway

071. Jessie Ware - Tough Love

070. Duke Dumont - I Got U (feat. Jax Jones)

069. Nicki Minaj - Pills n Potions

068. Leighton Meester - Heartstrings

067. Chris Brown - X

066. Sia - Elastic Heart

065. Enrique Iglesias - Bailando

064. Shakira - Empire

063. Gokhan Turkmen - Cati Kati

062. Tiesto - Wasted

061. iamamiwhoami - tap your glass

060. Josef Salvat - Open Season

059. Tove Lo - My Gun

058. David Guetta - Lovers On The Sun (feat. Sam Martin)

057. Boots - EST

056. Iggy Azalea - Goddess

055. The Weeknd - Often

054. Selena Gomez - The Heart Wants What It Wants

053. You+Me - You and Me

052. Miguel - simplethings

051. Taylor Swift - How You Get The Girl

050. JoJo - Take Me Home

049. Jhene Aiko - W.A.Y.S.

048. Nick Jonas - Numb (feat. Angel Haze)

047. Lana Del Rey - Brooklyn Baby

046. Azealia Banks - Ice Princess

045. Jessie Ware - Kind Of...Sometimes...Maybe

044. jj - All White Everything

043. Dj Snake & Aluna George - You Know You Like It

042. Tinashe - Bated Breath

041. Coldplay - Always In My Head

040. Kylie Minogue - Feels So Good

039. Mary J. Blige - Whole Damn Year

038. Taylor Swift - New Romantics

037. Nick Jonas - Nothing Would Be Better

036. Royksopp & Robyn - Do It Again

035. Damien Rice - I Don't Wanna Change You

034. Tove Lo - Habits

033. Nicki Minaj - Anaconda

032. Jhene Aiko - My Afternoon Dream

031. Lana Del Rey - Old Money

030. Calvin Harris - Love Now (feat. All About She)

029. Kwabs - Walk

028. Nick Jonas - Chains

027. David Guetta - Hey Mama (feat. Nicki Minaj)

026. Ariana Grande - Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd)

025. Lorde - Yellow Flicker Beat

024. Charli XCX - Boom Clap

023. Hozier - Take Me To Church

022. Taylor Swift - Out Of The Woods

021. Chris Brown - X

020. Mary J. Blige - Doubt

019. Sam Smith - Not In That Way

018. Lana Del Rey - West Coast

017. Azealia Banks - Heavy Metal and Reflective

016. Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

015. Beyonce - 7/11

014. Banks - Brain

013. Jessie Ware - Say You Love Me

012. iamamiwhoami - blue blue

011. Sia - Chandelier

010. Jhene Aiko - Promises

009. Taylor Swift - Style

008. Nicki Minaj - The Crying Game (feat. Jessie Ware)

007. Tove Lo - Moments

006. Nicole Scherzinger - Run

005. Coldplay - Magic

004. Lana Del Rey - Cruel World

003. Beyonce - Flawless (feat. Nicki Minaj)

002. Taylor Swift - Blank Space

001. The Antlers - Palace

I'm late, but eww, why is 'bue blue' so high? awk1 it is my least favourite on BLUE, lol.

love these:

041. Coldplay - Always In My Head
026. Ariana Grande - Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd)
023. Hozier - Take Me To Church
015. Beyonce - 7/11
005. Coldplay - Magic