Americunt

The Waiting Thread

Her music always kinda annoyed me - it always came off as superficial and histrionic and that just aggravated me. A lot. orangu1

Artists like that always confuse me too, because (for example) when I think of the songwriting process, I feel like having this whole fake ass facade like that would render it impossible to write cathartic songs and all and that's just.

orangu1

I'm not even making sense anymore bye orangu1

I've never had that issue with an artist other than Lorde. She comes off as supremely fake to me and most of her "problems" are stupid teenage shit that most people would never bother to write about because it's so fucking trivial.

Florence on the other hand has had tons of personal struggles. Her grandmother, who she was close with as a child, committed suicide during Flo's teen years. I think she adopted the whole "I am a delicate woodland creature on Planet Earth" persona as a result. She spins words in a way that I find really compelling. Her voice also has such an honest power to it; you can't help but be tangled up in the way she interprets a song. She's certainly a better songwriter and performer than Lana is or ever will be.

As for songwriting through a façade, I can tell you firsthand that it's sooooo much easier to write a song when you're someone else. The writing of the song itself isn't cathartic, but the process of putting on a different mask for an hour or two is one of the best ways to forget the woes of yesterday.

I've never had that issue with an artist other than Lorde. She comes off as supremely fake to me and most of her "problems" are stupid teenage shit that most people would never bother to write about because it's so fucking trivial.

Florence on the other hand has had tons of personal struggles. Her grandmother, who she was close with as a child, committed suicide during Flo's teen years. I think she adopted the whole "I am a delicate woodland creature on Planet Earth" persona as a result. She spins words in a way that I find really compelling. Her voice also has such an honest power to it; you can't help but be tangled up in the way she interprets a song. She's certainly a better songwriter and performer than Lana is or ever will be.

As for songwriting through a façade, I can tell you firsthand that it's sooooo much easier to write a song when you're someone else. The writing of the song itself isn't cathartic, but the process of putting on a different mask for an hour or two is one of the best ways to forget the woes of yesterday.

She has an amazingly powerful voice - I don't think anyone can argue that. I find her to be almost weirdly extraterrestrial (like FKA twigs), but not as compelling to me tbh. I also don't think I can say that I'm fully engrossed in her whimsy bullshit that she pens. Not a fan altogether. Ceremonials is beautiful but there's just something that rubs me the wrong way about it and I can never put my finger on it. orangu1

Lol everyone is a better performer than Lana lbr. I never knew that you stanned Florence harder than you did Lana though. That's a shocker. orangu1

And yes, it's way easier to write through the outlook of someone else but I don't feel like you can genuinely leave your heart on the line when you're essentially a "character" or a "label puppet ohai Katy." jj1

She has an amazingly powerful voice - I don't think anyone can argue that. I find her to be almost weirdly extraterrestrial (like FKA twigs), but not as compelling to me tbh. I also don't think I can say that I'm fully engrossed in her whimsy bullshit that she pens. Not a fan altogether. Ceremonials is beautiful but there's just something that rubs me the wrong way about it and I can never put my finger on it. orangu1

Lol everyone is a better performer than Lana lbr. I never knew that you stanned Florence harder than you did Lana though. That's a shocker. orangu1

And yes, it's way easier to write through the outlook of someone else but I don't feel like you can genuinely leave your heart on the line when you're essentially a "character" or a "label puppet ohai Katy." jj1

I think there's something in me that finds her a kindred spirit. My best songs are always written when I'm in a strange state of mind and I can tell with her that she wasn't usually right in the head while composing a lot of her work. You really have to listen a lot to hear it, though. Not a conclusion I came to overnight.

I just never have any opportunity to talk about Flo because nobody here is as big into her as I am. dead2

You're presuming that every song has to be a "leave your heart on the line" moment. That's not true in the slightest, imo. The best of albums only have about five songs that feel like that. It's so dull to get stuck in that kind of rut. I'm of the opinion that not every song has to be big and world-altering for its writer or even its audience.

eve1

she's not okay, she's the boss read her new Elle story. mj1

I think there's something in me that finds her a kindred spirit. My best songs are always written when I'm in a strange state of mind and I can tell with her that she wasn't usually right in the head while composing a lot of her work. You really have to listen a lot to hear it, though. Not a conclusion I came to overnight.

I just never have any opportunity to talk about Flo because nobody here is as big into her as I am. dead2

You're presuming that every song has to be a "leave your heart on the line" moment. That's not true in the slightest, imo. The best of albums only have about five songs that feel like that. It's so dull to get stuck in that kind of rut. I'm of the opinion that not every song has to be big and world-altering for its writer or even its audience.

I'll give her a second chance, I guess orangu1 I remember stanning Howl back in her Lungs days but now I hate the living shit out of it imready1

I never said that's the standard for songwriting. I said that if you were to try to write a cathartic song you wouldn't be able to. Don't listen to me tbh. orangu1

Do you have any suggestions? orangu1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.