Firdawsi

Local domestic violence survivor meets Taylor Swift as part of bucket list journey

TAMPA - "So this is my bucket list journal,” said Melissa Dohme.

Her bucket list has lots of checks.

"I've already done skydiving. I have my scuba license. I've been in a hot air balloon,” she said.

We've shared Melissa Dohme's story of survival in our ABC Action News Domestic Violence Awareness Campaign. She was stabbed 32 times in an attack that stole half her smile and nearly her life.

"I was in an abusive relationship, and three months after ending it, my high school ex-boyfriend returned in a jealous rage,” she said.

Now we want to share her story of living.

"It was just so unbelievable. I remember singing Fearless and Speak Now songs at the top of my lungs with my best friends as we drove my first car."

The 23-year-old says the soundtrack to her life runs parallel to Taylor Swift's songs -- lyrics she got to sing along with when she saw the super star this weekend in Tampa.

Dohme also had the chance to deliver a letter after the concert and tell her inspiration face-to-face how much she means to her life.

"You are the music that played in my hospital room and throughout my recovery.You've helped me through heartbreak. You've helped heal my pain,” she read from the letter.

Dohme was treated to a meet-and-greet with Taylor Swift by iHeartRadio and Julie Weintraub’s non-profit ‘Hands Across the Bay.’

"I told her that a few years ago I survived an attempted murder case and her music has been a light for me during so many dark times."

"She's like, 'Are you serious?' ... She wanted everyone else know. She goes, 'This girl survived this many stab wounds and she survived and she's here,' and she told me, 'You're so beautiful.'"

As for her letter to Taylor, she said, "Her Mom promised me, looked me in the eyes and said, 'I promise this will get right to Taylor and she'll read it on the plane,'” she explained.

It’s one more check on her list.

At only 23 years old, Dohme has done more living than many twice her age.

"Getting to number thirty! It says, 'Meet Taylor Swift,' and I never actually thought that would happen in a million years,” she said.

"Meet Taylor Swift -- check!" she said.

X

I hope her life gets better oprah1   

Bless you Andrea ny10 Taylor says there's no greater compliment than for someone to tell an artist their music helped them through rough times. I'm happy she met Taylor; I know it must have meant a lot to the both of them.