♚Missy♚

21st Anniversary of ‘Tragic Kingdom’

tk21

Today marks the 21st anniversary of No Doubt’s third and most successful album, Tragic Kingdom. It was released on this day back in 1995 and is still loved and admired as one of the best albums to come out of the 1990s.

Tragic Kingdom went on to sell over 16 million copies worldwide, hitting the number one spot in several countries and staying on top of the Billboard charts for weeks. The album spawned some of the band’s biggest hits to date including “Don’t Speak”, “Just a Girl”, “Sunday Morning” and “Spiderwebs”. The album hit #1 in the US in December 1996, almost a full year after the album was domestically released.

As dramatized in the “Don’t Speak” video, Gwen’s emergence as a superstar was a huge part of the group’s success. For teen girls in the late ‘90s, she was a different sort of idol, a glamorpuss in track pants who’d play girly-girl one minute and raging punk chick the next. In a pop landscape filled with power female figures, (Alanis Morissette, Shirley Manson, Courtney Love, etc.), Gwen’s bindi-dotted, bare-abbed, Barbie-warrior-princess aesthetic made her an alternative to all the alternatives.

Just because they're over, doesn't mean they don't hold rights to their legacy. White Stripes disbanded ages ago and still reissue wonderful boxsets and new live recordings from ages past oprah13 TK is a pretty fucking good album, and I wish ND would continue with the sound. Although me being a ponce, I actually prefer their previous album that tanked without a trace. It had really raw classic ND tunes, while TK was way too commercial, I think.