Americunt

The Unreleased Spotlight

hNAoVZy.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_na1shyST0N1r85nd8o1.mp3

Today, we have a song that divides the fanbase to this day: Last Girl On Earth. This song is from 2010 and was produced by Justin Parker, like many of the other songs I've posted recently. It's a slow guitar-driven song, with some piano backing, which makes it sound pretty unique in the scope of Lana's unreleased discography. Lyrically, this song is a huge departure from Lana's traditional style. While it is about tragedy and love, it deals more with a true fantasy than anything that could be considered a part of reality. The song's conceit is that Lana is the last woman alive on the planet and men are tending to her every need, though it doesn't make her happy. She namechecks many historical figures and modern celebrities, including Cleopatra, Jay-Z, Julius Caesar and Jared Leto. The main complaint many people have with regards to this song is that its lyrics are somewhat nonsensical at times (case in point: "Caesar say he'd fall in love with me if I was older").

qkIlZKB.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_na1temK0Bp1r85nd8o1.mp3

Day 24 has us covering one of my early favorite unreleased songs. There's a lot of dispute within the fanbase as to what the actual title of this song is, since all three titles we have for it have been confirmed in some sense. The titles are "I Don't Wanna Go", "Tonight" and "Black Leather Moonlight". This song was written and recorded in 2012, with Rick Nowels as a producer. It's presumed to be a Paradise outtake, though it sounds very little like the confirmed Paradise outtakes. The origin of the naming dilemma stems from the Rick Nowels website debacle. Among other tracks, this one was listed in his directories with a download link. On the website, the post it was contained in was titled "Lana Del Rey - Black Leather Moonlight". However, when downloaded, the file was named "Lana Del Rey - Tonight". To add another layer of strangeness, the ID3 tags of the song had it labeled as "Lana Del Rey - I Don't Wanna Go". Since this song was leaked almost a year before the website became public knowledge under the name "I Don't Wanna Go", most fans have accepted that as the official title. A fairly significant portion still refer to it as "Tonight" as well, while "Black Leather Moonlight" remains the least popular title, as it's the only one of the three titles that isn't spoken in the chorus. Lyrically, this song is quite simple. It's about not wanting to leave a lover alone for even a moment. Textbook Lana, right here.

UlgivSZ.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_mvcfmtr54a1r74kieo1.mp3

Day 25 has us talking about a song that I consider one of the biggest disappointments of any track that was ever teased before its leak. The first thing anyone ever heard of this song was a five second snippet, originally leaked on Soundcloud. It was literally just the first five seconds, including the words "You smell like a million roses". That line really set people up for high expectations, because any time Lana mentions a rose in a song, shit is about to get real good. A couple days after that five second snippet leaked, I got my hands on the first 20 seconds from a friend. I had "You smell like a million roses, bathed in rock 'n roll, ours was the greatest love story ever told". Tell me that's not a fabulous line. Suffice it to say, I was super hyped. But then it took forever and a day for this damn song to leak. It finally surfaced during the Rick Nowels website debacle (and with this song out of the way, we've now covered three of the Untouchable Five). It's a confirmed Paradise outtake and didn't make the cut for obvious reasons...AKA, it's boring as hell. A long downhill slide after that first line. Honestly, this song just feels incredibly unfinished to me. I'm glad it remained unreleased.

UlgivSZ.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_mvcfmtr54a1r74kieo1.mp3

Day 25 has us talking about a song that I consider one of the biggest disappointments of any track that was ever teased before its leak. The first thing anyone ever heard of this song was a five second snippet, originally leaked on Soundcloud. It was literally just the first five seconds, including the words "You smell like a million roses". That line really set people up for high expectations, because any time Lana mentions a rose in a song, shit is about to get real good. A couple days after that five second snippet leaked, I got my hands on the first 20 seconds from a friend. I had "You smell like a million roses, bathed in rock 'n roll, ours was the greatest love story ever told". Tell me that's not a fabulous line. Suffice it to say, I was super hyped. But then it took forever and a day for this damn song to leak. It finally surfaced during the Rick Nowels website debacle (and with this song out of the way, we've now covered three of the Untouchable Five). It's a confirmed Paradise outtake and didn't make the cut for obvious reasons...AKA, it's boring as hell. A long downhill slide after that first line. Honestly, this song just feels incredibly unfinished to me. I'm glad it remained unreleased.

It's not too bad lol. JFK >>>>>>>>> Shitty Eyed

gbt9czq.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_na7n4zsHv21r85nd8o1.mp3

The song of today is one you've probably heard before in some capacity, since it was widely considered the most high-value thing of Lana's that ever leaked in advance: the demo of Black Beauty. She had been talking about this song for months, before it got out to the public. Honestly, this song never should've leaked and a lot of people are still confused about why it did. By the time Rick Nowels' directories had become public knowledge, he only had four Lana songs held privately in them: Starry Eyed, JFK, AFFA and Hollywood. However, when the songs went up on Soundcloud (yes, those are real screenshots from the 20 minute period the songs were up), there were five, the fifth being the Black Beauty demo. Soon, the real story surfaced: Rick had uploaded Black Beauty onto his site for less than 24 hours, a few months before. People already knew about the directories by the time Rick uploaded Black Beauty, so many of them managed to download it before he took it down. There's only so much I can tell you about this song that you don't already know. The main difference between this and the final version is that the final version has extra instrumentation, starting at the first chorus. This demo was just a taste of the great things still to come. With this song, we've covered four of the Untouchable Five. 

5wK5X3d.png

https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_na7n86CXYx1r85nd8o1.mp3

After 27 days, we're finally getting to a truly interesting song. You & Me is a song that often goes unnoticed in the massive scope of Lana's unreleased songs. It's known that this song was written and recorded in 2011, but that's the extent of our knowledge with regards to it. It's very much a slow-burning track with some trippy (perhaps drug-addled) imagery and very sparse lyrics. The production is largely comprised of drums and strings, with a specific synth played in the background every 20 or so seconds. It's quite downbeat, compared to most of the songs we've covered up to now. This song was leaked by the leak blog known as "The Hoarded Whores", along with both versions of Making Out. I originally didn't care much for this track, since it's hard to hear the vocals at some parts, but the strings are just so lush and incredible. It's hard to resist this song, once you listen to it for a while. It's probably easier to let this song speak for itself.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.