RihannaRTT

UK vote to Leave EU | Pound falls to lowest level since 1985

QtYiyzI.png

This graph is the current standings for the results. While there isn't an "official" result yet; as the winning side needs 16.8 million votes, BBC and ITV and Sky all say it's 100% that Leave has won - currently one million votes ahead of Remain. They all predict a 52-53 / 47-48 split. 

I'm not surprised.

This decision  is the choice of the majority, and it should be respected - but it's going to be a bumpy ride for the next few weeks. 

It's also going to put Scottish Independence back in the spotlight - because I think that it's clear at this point that they're ready to leave. 

I am utterly disgusted by the results. These results were fueled by nothing than this idiotic focus on immigration; with the majority of leave voters thinking that being anti-EU means they're "stopping Syrian refugees or Non-British doctors". It's vile. They don't care about the economy or the other people in the country; they care about their disgusting backwards views. 

It's disgusting that every single area in Scotland voted to stay in the EU and we were completely ignored once again. They promised us a voice two years ago and they've gone back on that promise. I voted no to leaving the UK in the Indie Ref in 2014, but I swore if we got fucked over I wouldn't hesitate to change my mind in a future referendum, and I'm going to do just that. Sturgeon better call a second Indie Ref as soon as possible so we can leave the sinking ship, pour gasoline, light the fire and let England burn for this tragedy. I hope y'all are happy that your backwards and xenophobic views gave you the worst economy in 31 years. Congratulations. 

x9v3oLD.gif

This is going to lead to the most ridiculous economic shitstorm in 20 years and I really can't believe it happened. Scotland needs to get their independence as soon as possible, 'cause there's no way this'll turn out well for their economy otherwise.

On the bright side, this'll be an example of what happens when fear is allowed to run rampant in a country and gives Americans proof that policies Donald Trump would be in favor of do not work.

This is so fucking surreal dead2

I can't say for sure what's going to happen because no one really knows what's going to happen (even the Exit people didn't fucking know) - but this has profound implications for global order. The EU was heading for an iceburg anyway with the influx of migrants out of the middle east and the collapse of the single-market currency, but this will serve to do nothing but hasten its demise. This is the beginning of the end of the EU, it probably will not survive another decade in existence. 

But more than likely, it'll probably facilitate the ultimate breakup of the United Kingdom, because England (and Wales too, overwhelming) want to leave and Northern Ireland and Scotland want to stay. That's dynamic isn't going to fly very long, it could see Northern Ireland being absorbed back into Ireland or becoming it's own country, because Ireland is a devout EU state and the UK will be either forced to arm it's 300 mile border with an EU state or let Northern Ireland go. 

Scottland, bookmark me, won't be in the UK in the third decade of this century. Wales and England might stay together, might. 

Everything has changed - everything, for good or bad - who the fuck knows, but it's going to get rough dead2

And let's not talk about the domino effect that this will have on the EU - France, Germany, Italy, the Nordic Countries, they're going to want to take a vote as well, and it's going to cause the rise of far-right nationalism in these countries.

I personally don't think it matters if Scotland breaks away from the UK - because by the time they get it, there won't be much of an EU left.

I'm actually disgusted. I just saw on Twitter that 80% of young people voted remain, meaning the result goes totally against the beliefs of the people who will very soon be leading this country. And speaking of "this country" I really doubt we'll even last the next few years. I was just talking to Paul about it and I'm sure there's no way Scotland will pass up another Indy Ref, and Northern Ireland could well rejoin with ROI. I know they've had big differences but this could well be enough to overcome that. So then what do we have? The Kingdom of England and Wales? This should be a time of progress, not regressing to the Middle Ages. And so much for being "British". I'm proud to say I'm in one of the few non-Scotland, non-London and non-NI areas that voted remain but it's just not enough sadly. 

22 minutes ago, Matthew said:

And let's not talk about the domino effect that this will have on the EU - France, Germany, Italy, the Nordic Countries, they're going to want to take a vote as well, and it's going to cause the rise of far-right nationalism in these countries.

I personally don't think it matters if Scotland breaks away from the UK - because by the time they get it, there won't be much of an EU left.

Given the effect this is already having on the value of the Pound, I really don't know if any of the others are going to be that hasty about it. Odds are that they'll wait and see the impact this has on the UK in the long term. In France, I'm sure Le Pig and all her supporters will begin clamoring for a vote soon, but god knows if that'll turn out, given France's weird vacillation between being extremely reactionary and highly bureaucratic. Merkel's too much of a pragmatist to let things simmer forever, so I expect Germany would be the true decider, with their leaving continuing the chain reaction. Italy's slow on the uptake, bureaucratically and would follow the popular decision of others. Sweden, Denmark, Finland and the like could go either way, as they're fairly prosperous on their own, but may be gaining enough from the EU that their continued participation would be beneficial.

This could have far-reaching consequences, but it's hard to judge how widespread the impact will be this early in the game. Yes, one major player stood up from the table, but the gameboard hasn't been flipped yet.

Update on a few things;

Leave officially passed the 16.8m mark. Ahead by about 1.2 million. 
Nicola Sturgeon - Scotland's first minister - has stated that Scotland wishes to remain within the EU. IndyRef2 is very possible right now
One of the NI parties - Sinn Fein - have stated they want to leave the UK and rejoin with the Republic of Ireland
One of the parties in The Netherlands wants a Dutch referendum to exit the EU. 
The pound is down to just short of 1.34; the worst level in 31 years. (this is about -12%)
Markets in Asia as a whole is down 3%.

15 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

Update on a few things;

Leave officially passed the 16.8m mark. Ahead by about 1.2 million. 
Nicola Sturgeon - Scotland's first minister - has stated that Scotland wishes to remain within the EU. IndyRef2 is very possible right now
One of the NI parties - Sinn Fein - have stated they want to leave the UK and rejoin with the Republic of Ireland
One of the parties in The Netherlands wants a Dutch referendum to exit the EU. 
The pound is down to just short of 1.34; the worst level in 31 years. (this is about -12%)
Markets in Asia as a whole is down 3%.

Sinn Féin are Irish nationalists though so that kind of comment from them isn't exactly surprising. Still worrying, however :(

I can't believe they seriously voted to exit, honestly wtf. From an American perspective the Brits are totally shooting themselves in the foot and dragging down the rest of the EU and realistically the world with them, all because people are mad about immigration and foreigners entering the country. Voting to exit might put a short-term halt on immigration but it can't stop the breakneck pace the globe is becoming more interconnected every day. 

Now there's so much uncertainty. How will trade be impacted with the EU, how will Britain replace EU trade pacts with outside countries, will Scotland/NI stay, how will trade be impacted amongst the 4 nations if they do leave, how will travel and students be affected...

God Brits this is really just disappointing/sad to see

1 hour ago, RihannaRTT said:

I am utterly disgusted by the results. These results were fueled by nothing than this idiotic focus on immigration; with the majority of leave voters thinking that being anti-EU means they're "stopping Syrian refugees or Non-British doctors". It's vile. They don't care about the economy or the other people in the country; they care about their disgusting backwards views. 

It's disgusting that every single area in Scotland voted to stay in the EU and we were completely ignored once again. They promised us a voice two years ago and they've gone back on that promise. I voted no to leaving the UK in the Indie Ref in 2014, but I swore if we got fucked over I wouldn't hesitate to change my mind in a future referendum, and I'm going to do just that. Sturgeon better call a second Indie Ref as soon as possible so we can leave the sinking ship, pour gasoline, light the fire and let England burn for this tragedy. I hope y'all are happy that your backwards and xenophobic views gave you the worst economy in 31 years. Congratulations. 

x9v3oLD.gif

EU is a piece of shit and we all know it.

The European Union was a mistake from the beginning. I don't blame the UK, they were just the first to do something about it. The vote is not legally binding...so it will be interesting to see what Cameron does and the other EU Leaders.

The UK will be fine. The EU on the other hand... brit11

15 minutes ago, ajp said:

The European Union was a mistake from the beginning. I don't blame the UK, they were just the first to do something about it. The vote is not legally binding...so it will be interesting to see what Cameron does and the other EU Leaders.

The UK will be fine. The EU on the other hand... brit11

Not with the lowest value for the pound since Margaret Thatcher over 30 years ago. The UK will sink.

Hopefully we'll have another Scottish Indie Ref asap and leave them to rot.