Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Vulnicura.

#FOTPListens — The Integration LP by LA Vampires & Marie Minerva | Due: 31st Oct | Join Now!

hi

So as the title suggests I will be taking a break from this, as I've been busy with my exams!

Will be back in a week or two! I'll still be on the forum but just not as active!

15 minutes ago, Vulnicura. said:

hi

So as the title suggests I will be taking a break from this, as I've been busy with my exams!

Will be back in a week or two! I'll still be on the forum but just not as active!

Good luck with exams! When you come back, do my albhum wendy1 

2 hours ago, Vulnicura. said:

hi

take your time

XacAsPj.png

So I'm trying out a new format with only the top 5 tracks! I'm not very familiar with this album myself but this top 5 is a mess.

Let's see why this album was submitted!:

ECYJOBr.gif

zOVg9i5.png

Fave: Airplane

Despite not being a strong commercial force in the way other groups debuting at a similar time, such as SNSD or 2NE1, are/were, f(x) managed to find their way into international fans' hearts as an act which constantly delivers quality albums. And even as a huge fan of Korean pop in general, I'll admit that is a surprising rarity in a business where all labels care for are strong title tracks (in kpop lingo: lead singles) and leave us with tons of pointless, bland fillers. The 5-member (then) band has always been different. Even if the Pinocchio/Hot Summer album came off as a bit juvenile, it still showed girls' huge potential and gave us a considerable amount of quirky, fascinating songs. Pink Tape takes off where their debut landed, taking the previous concepts and developing them in unexpected directions.

One of the main complains about kpop, apart from the obvious language barrier, is how it's a more generic copy of Western trends and Pink Tape serves as a glorious way to prove the aforementioned statement wrong. It doesn't run away from the inspirations and influences from Western music. Quite the contrary - the alluring opener contains a sample from Little Drummer Boy; Shadow, a song often mentioned as one of the genre's greatest non-singles which serves as an intriguing attempt at connecting creepy with cute, was co-written by Sophie Ellis-Bextor; and No More is a much improved take on Ariana Grande's demo. However, what the album does do is taking those elements into a new level and going into territories a Western record wouldn't take them. For instance, the dubstep breakdown in Toy is surrounded by almost a cheerleader-like chanting and makes a great use of its messiness and Step built over a horn hook is an upbeat, unabashed fun, something you don't really find on charts a lot these days. The members aren't replaceable either, each of them serves her purpose, whether it be a powerful vocal from Luna or Krystal, aegyo from Sulli, sense of maturity from Victoria or just plain awkwardness (the Pretty Girl rap) which miraculously compliments the group from Amber. The album is also pretty diverse, even if most of it is heavily pop-influenced, it goes from modern productions (Kick) to taking a look back into the 80s (Signal) in a matter of seconds. To balance it out, there are also slower numbers, such as the lovely, acoustic, Amber-penned Goodbye Summer or the admittedly overwritten closer which does make a pleasant end to the longplay regardless. And finally, there is also the fan favourite Airplane, a song which works better than it had any right to, starting slowly only to gain monumentum in its pre-chorus and releasing the tension in what might be the most satisfying, cheerful and... beautiful EDM breakdowns I've ever heard.

When talking about the genre's peak albums, Pink Tape, as well as its almost equally good successor Red Light, gets a mention every single time. It is chasing trends and it is slightly pandering to Western fans but it doesn't take away its boldness. It flirts with many different styles and most importantly, it never misses the essence of pop music. It might not be incredibly ambitious or sophisticated but it's fun, a quality I'd take over the former two any day.

And let's see what the rest had to say!:

5EUWf8T.gif

d9R4JB9.png

Fave: Snapshot

No comments but he had this to say about Pretty Girl:

trash1

dKP3tlG.gif

taDC70l.png

Fave: Signal

9BmoO6h.png

AjKoJoS.png

Fave: Goodbye Summer

SQkUvsG.png

JuoWHI1.png

Fave: Shadow

Rum Pum Pum Pum
i've been stanning this song ever since the teaser for the video was released! it was even my alarm for the longest while and i still love it. f(x) were always unique for bringing something fresh to k-pop, and this song is a perfect example of how they do that! we love a bop!
Shadow 
we're still keeping the weird, unique sound! i love how dreamy this is? we love Krystal leading an amazing chorus and song in general btw Vilppu can seethe! gorgeous we love the best song!
Pretty Girl
the bridge/rap is usually my prime example of why Amber annoys me on f(x)'s music ... but ignoring that, i love most of this song, it can get a bit annoying and loud but once in a while it's a good bop!
Kick
a bit of a mess that i have to admit i do like sometimes! it's just so much going at once omg ... the pre-chorus is incredibly refreshing and the best part of the song!
Signal 
BICTH THE RETRO VIBES I LIVE. a trinity worthy song! it's just so good omg, it's chill but still fun, easy to listen to and just jam, ahh, one of their best.
Step
not ashamed of calling this my second fave from the album! i love how energetic, fun and upbeat this is, iconic, talented, brilliant, all those things! Sulli's last-chorus is everything btw.
Goodbye Summer
painfully overrated by stans all around! it's so incredibly dull to me, it bothers me even tho i love D.O's voice.
Airplane
another of the best from the album! love how light this song feels even if it's a bit heavy on the electronic stuff? idk it's just great.
Toy
a fun bop once again lowkey ruined by Amber's cringy lines in English! love the chorus yes.
No More
eh ...
Snapshot
took me quite a long while to appreciate this but it's actually really fun! love how the first chorus comes in.
Ending Page
eh ... [2]

Pink Tape - 8
definitely my least fave album from their three bibles, but nevertheless still quite a fun one! it's their most k-pop, even if it's a quirky unique take on it. i prefer Red Light and 4 Walls for how they differ from the usual k-pop sound.

0UAIYvj.gif

SOmBVX3.png

*Lowest Scorer*

Fave: Shadow

Very mediocre album with few gems, but in general it sounds dated and listening to this was a waste of time sia3

cE0PXWC.png

0C9ZTLV.png

Fave: Rum Pum Pum Pum

6ZwQ43Y.png

90SwuEc.png

*Highest Scorer*

Fav: Shadow

Overall, very interesting and fun album to listen to. The production is very interesting. Not too familiar with the f(x)'s music or the entire K-Pop scene in general but I'm not a hater, we love all types of music. Some of the parts, like the rap really surprised me and in stan translation that means scalped me yes. Some of the highlights for me were Shadow, Pretty Girl, Goodbye Summer, Toy and Signal. The vocals were on point, they did very good with that. Overall Sylktacritic score: 8.7

1 hour ago, Vulnicura. said:

XacAsPj.png

So I'm trying out a new format with only the top 5 tracks! I'm not very familiar with this album myself but this top 5 is a mess.

Let's see why this album was submitted!:

ECYJOBr.gif

zOVg9i5.png

Fave: Airplane

Despite not being a strong commercial force in the way other groups debuting at a similar time, such as SNSD or 2NE1, are/were, f(x) managed to find their way into international fans' hearts as an act which constantly delivers quality albums. And even as a huge fan of Korean pop in general, I'll admit that is a surprising rarity in a business where all labels care for are strong title tracks (in kpop lingo: lead singles) and leave us with tons of pointless, bland fillers. The 5-member (then) band has always been different. Even if the Pinocchio/Hot Summer album came off as a bit juvenile, it still showed girls' huge potential and gave us a considerable amount of quirky, fascinating songs. Pink Tape takes off where their debut landed, taking the previous concepts and developing them in unexpected directions.

One of the main complains about kpop, apart from the obvious language barrier, is how it's a more generic copy of Western trends and Pink Tape serves as a glorious way to prove the aforementioned statement wrong. It doesn't run away from the inspirations and influences from Western music. Quite the contrary - the alluring opener contains a sample from Little Drummer Boy; Shadow, a song often mentioned as one of the genre's greatest non-singles which serves as an intriguing attempt at connecting creepy with cute, was co-written by Sophie Ellis-Bextor; and No More is a much improved take on Ariana Grande's demo. However, what the album does do is taking those elements into a new level and going into territories a Western record wouldn't take them. For instance, the dubstep breakdown in Toy is surrounded by almost a cheerleader-like chanting and makes a great use of its messiness and Step built over a horn hook is an upbeat, unabashed fun, something you don't really find on charts a lot these days. The members aren't replaceable either, each of them serves her purpose, whether it be a powerful vocal from Luna or Krystal, aegyo from Sulli, sense of maturity from Victoria or just plain awkwardness (the Pretty Girl rap) which miraculously compliments the group from Amber. The album is also pretty diverse, even if most of it is heavily pop-influenced, it goes from modern productions (Kick) to taking a look back into the 80s (Signal) in a matter of seconds. To balance it out, there are also slower numbers, such as the lovely, acoustic, Amber-penned Goodbye Summer or the admittedly overwritten closer which does make a pleasant end to the longplay regardless. And finally, there is also the fan favourite Airplane, a song which works better than it had any right to, starting slowly only to gain monumentum in its pre-chorus and releasing the tension in what might be the most satisfying, cheerful and... beautiful EDM breakdowns I've ever heard.

When talking about the genre's peak albums, Pink Tape, as well as its almost equally good successor Red Light, gets a mention every single time. It is chasing trends and it is slightly pandering to Western fans but it doesn't take away its boldness. It flirts with many different styles and most importantly, it never misses the essence of pop music. It might not be incredibly ambitious or sophisticated but it's fun, a quality I'd take over the former two any day.

All this effort for such a mediocre album fall6 Vilppu love yourself, please

The visual side of this scalps, love how it matches the design of the album.

Anyway ignoring some of the more interesting choices/comments:

"we love Krystal leading an amazing chorus and song in general btw Vilppu can seethe"

This wouldn't be any worse as a Luna solo and you know it.

"Some of the parts, like the rap really surprised me and in stan translation that means scalped me yes."

YES, let's all forget how embarrassing Amber usually is and stan for her peacefully <3

6 minutes ago, Urbi said:

mediocre album

Ly-her.jpg

3 minutes ago, Vilppu said:

The visual side of this scalps, love how it matches the design of the album.

Anyway ignoring some of the more interesting choices/comments:

"we love Krystal leading an amazing chorus and song in general btw Vilppu can seethe"

This wouldn't be any worse as a Luna solo and you know it.

"Some of the parts, like the rap really surprised me and in stan translation that means scalped me yes."

YES, let's all forget how embarrassing Amber usually is and stan for her peacefully <3

Ly-her.jpg

We talk about Shit Tape by Function(Shit) here though not about BTLegends lotus1

1 minute ago, Urbi said:

We talk about Shit Tape by Function(Shit) here though not about BTLegends lotus1

It was mostly a comment about how you should love yourself too, I obviously haven't listened to that but I'm sure it sucks <3

1 minute ago, Vulnicura. said:

Isn't this that fucking BTS album? A Spotify ad comes in every time I try to listen to Kelela and fucks everything uptrash1

B*S being a nuisance? Shocking.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.